PRND321 Light Always On - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, PRND321 Light Always On in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; That was some thorough testing! Any fuse or relay can be removed with common old slip joint pliers and a ...
    JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: PRND321 Light Always On

That was some thorough testing!

Any fuse or relay can be removed with common old slip joint pliers and a gentle side to side rocking motion.

I'll need some time to consult various schematics and plot what would be my approach. Your brother obviously has other wheels.

cmm491 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

thanks! tinkering with cars has become a hobby that i am slowly learning as i go. wire diagrams are not my specialty as of yet

Quote Originally Posted by cmm491 View Post
    I installed the battery with the positive terminal and finished the circuit with the multimeter. I was getting a reading of about .01-.02 amps from the moment I connected the multimeter. So i switched to ma's and it was reading around 20 ma's consistently for a long while. Hmm right? (the 10A fuse for the IP was still removed at this point)

I still have a gut feeling it is something with the ignition system so for the heck of it I hooked the negative terminal to the battery (remembered the IP fuse was not in so I put that back in) and started the vehicle up and let it run for a few mins.
    You changed two variables by installing the IP fuse and starting the engine. I would not have installed the IP fuse.

I flipped the door latch on the RR door and shut the car off from the back seat and removed the negative terminal to hook up the multimeter. It was reading 4+ A at intital hookup. It eventually settled to 3.83 A. I left it alone for about 30 mins and it held at 3.83 amps....only one adjusted the amps, that was the IP fuse and it dropped the draw to about 1.53 amps....
    That is a significant difference (2.3 A) and might be pointing at a failed IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster).
    A used IPC can be installed, and they should be plentiful for 2000 to 2005 Devilles, but an authorized repair facility will have to adjust the 'used' IPC odometer to agree with the original IPC odometer among other things.
    And the swapping is not an easy Saturday morning task.

The remainder of your list of fuses and current draws have nothing in common that points to a single potential cause.

This is a long shot and certainly worth the time it would take to try.
    Disconnect both battery cables and momentarily touch the cable ends to each other. Make sure you achieve a good electrical connection; you might notice a slight arc.
    What this does is completely discharge every capacitor in every module and provides a known starting point for future measurements.

ahhhh, i typed that incorrectly. the total amp difference with the IP fuse in or out is 1.53 amps. so wit hthe IP fuse in, it is 3.83 amp draw and without it, it is 2.3 amp draw. sorry for the confusion on that.

i edited the original post. damn, sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    This is a long shot and certainly worth the time it would take to try.
    Disconnect both battery cables and momentarily touch the cable ends to each other. Make sure you achieve a good electrical connection; you might notice a slight arc.
    What this does is completely discharge every capacitor in every module and provides a known starting point for future measurements.
    are you saying i should do this and then try every fuse again? I still havent tride the relays and the other fuses at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by cmm491 View Post
    are you saying i should do this and then try every fuse again?
    No. Sometimes the diagnostic steps in my head do not make it all the way to my keyboard.

What I would do is discharge all the capacitors, install all fuses and other components that might have been removed, install the battery and drive the car for 20 or 30 minutes. The 30 minute drive time will restore the battery charge and should have the various modules functioning as intended.

Then I would run the ammeter test again through to the end of the RAP time period. That would tell you if discharging the capacitors accomplished anything useful.

I discharged the capacitors and drove the vehicle for 30 mins then the RAP test again. Still have the same result. After 10 mins, the amp draw is at 3.71 amps.

I'm going to try pulling the other fuses and relays.

Keep us informed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.