1996 Deville - starter faults and low voltage - please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 1996 Deville - starter faults and low voltage - please help in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; alright, i have a cadillac deville sedan 96 and my dad had problems with the starter solenoid and bypassed it. ...
    sweet1forever is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac devile 96

1996 Deville - starter faults and low voltage - please help

alright, i have a cadillac deville sedan 96 and my dad had problems with the starter solenoid and bypassed it. lately i was having issues with my voltage coming from my battery so i went and replaced the battery thinking it would solve the problem but my voltage was still low, my friend thought the problem would be the alternator or the starter. today the car wouldnt start at all it sounded as if it was the battery or starter so when we tryed to start it again later in the day it began to smoke beneath the starter solenoid, deeper in the engine we did not see exactly where it came from. any advice if youve had a similar issue and could give some insight?

the picture is of the bypass my dad rigged up
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: please help

Remove the faulty jury rig and return the starting system to normal - stock. Troubleshoot the starter - if your engine is the 4.6 Northstar the starter is underneath the intake manifold and that must be removed for starter/solenoid service.

Your low voltage finding points to either the battery, wiring/connectors or the alternator/voltage regulator itself.

If you don't get other advice within a day or so, I will move this question up to Deville.

Welcome Aboard !!!!.................

Re: 1996 Deville - starter faults and low voltage - please help

thank you somuch i will try that today, ok i wont but my car smart friend shall im lost when it comes to cars

tested the starter and it was bad so we replaced it and then put it all back together and the car wont start or crank at all electrical stuff comes on and a message pops up saying theft system problem car may not restart

i have 1 more question there is a small box down next to driver front wheel behind radiator it has what seem to be high pressure lines. friend thought it might be some sort of computer but we are sure it was smoking yesterday before car did the anti theft issue could this be the cause of the theft issue and what component is this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.