Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  encieno 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 cadillac sevilleand when I check the trouble codes it comes up with a E049 current. I looked all over on the internet but I cannot find this code anywhere. Does anyone know what this code means?

#2 ·
Code E049 is an Air Management System Problem. This diagnostic test monitors the AIR system to detect operating problems with the Electric Divert Valve (EDV) and Electric Switching Valve (ESV). It performs these tests using the oxygen sensor and ECM integrator function to monitor valve function.

Basically the computer has detected a malfunction in the EDV, the ESV or the wiring. A leaking injector may also cause this code to set.

Source-> www.autorepair.about.com

scottan said:
I have a 1990 cadillac sevilleand when I check the trouble codes it comes up with a E049 current. I looked all over on the internet but I cannot find this code anywhere. Does anyone know what this code means?

#3 ·
Steven Martinez said:
Code E049 is an Air Management System Problem. This diagnostic test monitors the AIR system to detect operating problems with the Electric Divert Valve (EDV) and Electric Switching Valve (ESV). It performs these tests using the oxygen sensor and ECM integrator function to monitor valve function.

Basically the computer has detected a malfunction in the EDV, the ESV or the wiring. A leaking injector may also cause this code to set.

Source-> www.autorepair.about.com
Are you seeing any odd behavior with your car? I have this same code right now and am trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Please read the middle of the following thread to hear about my 90 Deville's problems. Maybe we can figure this out together.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712

#5 ·
Katshot said:
Think disconnected Air pump and you'll know why so many older cars show this code. It's a favorite of many older car owners (disconnecting or removing the air pump).
Are you implying that we should disconnect the air pump or are you implying that it sometimes becomes accidently disconnected? Humor me and explain a bit :confused: :)

#6 ·
If I had a buck for everytime I've either found one removed/disconnected on a car, or heard someone talk about how they were taking it off because:
1. It's for emissions only and the car doesn't really need it.
2. I can pick-up like 10hp by disconnecting/removing it.
Etc, etc, etc.
If that's NOT the case here, I'd suggest checking that it IS still on the car and functioning.

#7 ·
i have e048 and e049 current!

my 1990 eldorado with a 4.5 v8 is all of the sudden running terrible, it up until now has been perfect! Its running super rich and idling very rough and the exhaust seems to be chugging..anyone know what these two codes mean (primarily if they are about my problem?) and what can I do to stop this problem! Does it sound like maybe I have a bad spark plug or something (I was thinking that) It feels like the car is only running on 6-7 cylinders all of the sudden, will it hurt my car to continue to drive it like this until I can get it repaired? Thanks in advance for any replies! =)

#8 ·
scottan said:
Hi, I have a 1990 Seville also, and the same code, it comes on after
idling for a long period, such as in heavy traffic, and if I reset it goes away.
Did you find the fix?
Regards
Guy

#9 ·
I am also having the same problem on my 90 Seville. Trouble Code E049 CURRENT. It is idling rough, doesn't have power climbing hills, smells rich, and sounds like running on 6-7 cyls. I am going to replace plugs tomorrow. I tried clearing the code and it comes right back.

I recently replaced my air pump so I know it is connected. Is it possible that hoses could be swapped? Does removing the pump help economy/power at all?

Let me know if you find out anything.

J M Pollard
jmpollard@crimsonco.com

#11 ·
code 49-- after searching for a way to solve this code on 4 cadillacs this is what I found and I hope that it will help anyone with this problem all 4 had the same issue code 49 gas mileage sucks, idle bad, stalling,but not all the time some days good some days bad, sometimes code would not come back for a month, 49 code is for the air management system, its real simple once you find it and understand it, and by the way all 4 owners are happy and no more code 49, so here it is, 1st locate large rubber hoses (formed) on top on engine you will see where they hook into diverter valve which has a line or hose from air pump, air is created at pump, blown towards diverter valve via hose and is either diverted to air cleaner or cat. converter, the code 49 means that the air is not being diverted, on all 4 the air was always coming out into air cleaner and not the cat converter, ok remember this, air at air cleaner is good only when engine is cold as soon as it reaches operating temp it is diverted to cat converter this is done via a simple vacuum line and a electronic solenoid you will see 2 of them on the diverter valve, if your still having problems locating the valve go to Advance auto parts web site and look it up they have a picture of it, what was found was that the solenoid was bad, compare readings of the 2 with an ohm meter, one will be open
and although they say it can not be repaired (buy the complete diverter assy) you can simply but carefully replace the soleniod with a good used one,
tons of 4100s in junk yards just ohm the replacement out 1st, but the way I know the connector is different on the older diverter vavles so just cut and SOLDER the wires they are color coded, so again code 49 and car is warm remove air hose to air cleaner or round black air horn and feel or listen for air transort if its there this equals your code 49 ,thanks and please leave feedback if this solves your problem

#12 ·
I also have this stupid E49 code on my 1990 Cadillac Deville, so I ran it WOT in 2nd to do my weekly carbon cleanout, and also to get her nice and hot. Low and behold I pulled the hose off and air was still being diverted to the cleaner. So simply re-routed the air pump hose to the line going to the exhaust and *poof* the car idles more smoothly, and the exhaust sounds way smoother (now excess fuel is being properly burnt in the cat) this could be the reason perhaps I *barely* passed on my hydrocarbon emissions test. I do plan to replace the valve, but this quick fix will due for now. Thank you SO much for the explanation, I haven't been able to find it ANYWHERE else. BTW the car also pulls a tad harder, and this car still rocks with 283K (170000 miles) on the clock. In fact my next car will be a 97 Deville or an 88 Brougham, instead of the Lincoln I planned on buying........I will still ALWAYS love '70-79 Continentals and the 2003- Town Car styling, oh well you can't have it all

#13 ·
I just found this post and did the same mod on my 90 Deville with 190k miles on it. Oddly enough, I was driving to work this morning and the light was OFF, first time ever. I got a mile or so from work then it came back on. Once I parked,
I checked it out and E49 was showing up again, hmmmmm. really weird. I didn't pop the engine to see if maybe my clamp fell off or something. I'll check that later tonight.
It'll never end, I got it as a project car from a friend who rarely did any maintenance on this. I think I'll head to the junk yard this weekend and try to find a new assembly... and/or check the vacuum out on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.