Argh, trunk release AND pull down not working
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Argh, trunk release AND pull down not working in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm at whits ends. This shouldn't be that hard to figure out, but I sure can't. I checked lots of ...
    dsetter@netzero.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Argh, trunk release AND pull down not working

I'm at whits ends. This shouldn't be that hard to figure out, but I sure can't. I checked lots of other threads but none have difinitive answers other than replacing parts which I have done!

My trunk release won't release the trunk from either the key fob or the glovebox switch. You can hear the sender in the trunk click, and there is a small signal at the solenoid, but not enough. The solenoid works when I jump 12v to it directly and a new solenoid has the same problem as the original one.

Added to that, the pull down doesn't work! The motor works fine after I manually jumped 12v to motor it down. I replaced the switch with no difference. There's 12v at the red orange wire, but no power at the red, green or black. I tested the switch on the hood lid and it functions. The only other thing that doesn't seem to "work" is there is an open connection between the terminals on the key hole cover whether it is open or closed - I'm not sure how that relates to anything...

Meanwhile, I adjusted the pull down latch so it latches tightly the old fashioned way - a good slam!

Thanks in advance for your HELP! - Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Argh, trunk release AND pull down not working

The switch on the deck lid is for the trunk ajar message. The switch you need to replace is integral to the pulldown unit and is held in place by one t15 torx screw. Simply remove screw, pull straight up, and unhook wiring connector. Install opposite of reverse, making sure the switch slides down in the groove of the pulldown, or you'll break it when you shut the trunk. Good luck.

Thanks, however, I already replaced, and then tested the switch on the pull down motor assembly without any luck. I'll be testing for broken wires today. Maybe I'll find damage in one of the wires that flex at the trunk hinge....

A shared gound turned out to be the culprit. Both the Rear Copartment Lid Lock Release Actuator and the Rear Compartment Lid Pull-Down Switch share the same ground that passes along the hinge. Mine was broken causing the lid pull-down to rise, but not pull down as the switch didn't indicate the lid was in position to be pulled even though the pull-down mechaisms switch was engaged - odd double switches. I have copies of diagnostic steps and wiring diagrams if some one needs them!

bmeyermo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Touring

Quote Originally Posted by dsetter@netzero.net
    A shared gound turned out to be the culprit. Both the Rear Copartment Lid Lock Release Actuator and the Rear Compartment Lid Pull-Down Switch share the same ground that passes along the hinge. Mine was broken causing the lid pull-down to rise, but not pull down as the switch didn't indicate the lid was in position to be pulled even though the pull-down mechaisms switch was engaged - odd double switches. I have copies of diagnostic steps and wiring diagrams if some one needs them!
    dsetter
    reading old post ran across your solution to pull down problem. I would love to see diag and wiring that you have if they are still availible.

bmeyermo@msn.com

hutchster913 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Sedan Deville, 1993 Sedan Deville

I am having similar problems with my 93 DeVille. Could you please send me the diagnostics and the diagram? Thanks,
    hutch@provide.net

92 Grey Goose is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Would you send me some copies of both please? I am having problems with my trunk lid not pulling down.
    Thanks Dewayne

fmw63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville SLS

jng29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Help I Need A Wiring Diagram Too My Pull Down Isnt Working Either And Tired Of Changing Expensive Parts For Nothing

jng29 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

92 seville ,,, i have replaced the trunk motor , all wiring appears like new ( i even pulled it from loom to inspect it) , when i manually hit the tiny lever on motor / switch assy , lock will rise to "trunk open" postion , from there it closes and pulls down perfectly BUT when i open trunk( either by key or remote or glove box button) the motor / latch assy DOES NOT rise to " trunk open " position ( unless i "cycle" it again by hitting the tiny switch,,,, also my IPC continues to show TRUNK OPEN warning HELP ME PLEASE SOMEONE

vmcmanam is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you still have the diagnostic and wiring diagrams? Boy I could sure use them. I don't know what any of this stuff is pull down latch, switch, etc. But if I had some pictures I could maybe figure this out without taking it to the shop. Thanks. V (new to this site, don't know how this works for sure s so can you respond to me at vmcmanam@unmc.edu)

dmccon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Would you send me some copies of both please? I am having problems with my trunk lid not pulling down. I just bought this 92 deVille.
    Thanks,
    Don

Erik Gray is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC

I too am having problems with the trunk pull down (2000 El Dorado).

Wiring Diagrams/sketches/photos would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Erik

erik.gray@hargrove-associates.com

tomc65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi! I have had a new trunck release installed at dealer 5 years ago ($350.00)
    Now it opens ok but does not come all the way up before I close it and I have to push the black switch next to the closer to make it come up. a real pain,PLEEEEESe send me your solution. Thanks in advance.

tomc65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HI Again! I forgot to post my e mail for you to forward pictures thanks again!
    tomc65@hotmail.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.