High Beam Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, High Beam Issue in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When I hit the stalk mounted dimmer switch in my 1993 Sedan DeVille, I should have flash to pass. I ...
    Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

High Beam Issue

When I hit the stalk mounted dimmer switch in my 1993 Sedan DeVille, I should have flash to pass. I do not.
    Also, when I go from low beam to high beam, the high beam lamps come on and the low beam lamps go out. Every four head lamp car I ever drove had all four staying on.

I checked the voltage on the lamps. On low beam, the low beams have power. On high beam, they do not.

I replaced the dimmer switch.

The problem remains. There are no codes, the computer is clear.

Anyone have an idea? PLEASE.

Wendy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Re: High Beam Issue

On this car, when switching to high beams the low beams are supposed to turn off. Your car is operating correctly in that regard. Also, unless I've never discovered it, I believe '93s don't have a flash to pass feauture and that the high/low beams have to be cycled manually.

Re: High Beam Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Rodya234 View Post
    On this car, when switching to high beams the low beams are supposed to turn off. Your car is operating correctly in that regard. Also, unless I've never discovered it, I believe '93s don't have a flash to pass feauture and that the high/low beams have to be cycled manually.
    That's what I get for being a senile old bat. Still, the owner's manual does talk about "Flash to Pass." Now I'll have to pull the book and have another look. If it weren't so heavily loaded with options and features, I'd say it probably didn't have it. Copying the RPO codes so I could look up all the options took forever. To quote http://www.compnine.com VIN look up:

There are 3 1993 DEVILLE 4 DR vehicles (0.002%) matching your exact options list. There are 3 (0.002%) with at least as many options.

Mind you the paint needs help in a bad way, the windscreen looks like it was sandblasted and the back window leaks like a sieve, so she's in a garage until I can get that fixed at the local window glass place and she has almost 179,000 miles, but everything works -- supposedly. The interior leather even looks lovely and she's mine. I still say my old girl SHOULD have the flash to pass even if I didn't and generally don't use it, but then, I never OWNED a Caddy before this one and only recently did I need to start futzing with her.

I am no stranger to WOT driving. Where I live, the nearest Caddy dealership is over 100 miles due East and the same Due West. We do have a couple GM dealerships within 25 miles, but Chevy, Buick and GMC are not Cadillac. A night out at a nice restaurant entails a hundred mile drive on roads with a 75 MPH speed limit and an overnight stay at a hotel or motel unless I feel like taking a long ride after dinner. Passing on an interstate highway at those speeds calls for a very heavy foot. This old girl does it in style, fairly launching herself down the road when my right foot gets itchy. I just wanted to make sure she was still up to it and that everything was working, if you get my drift.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Wendy.

VIN & RPO Code Decoder

Bought your Caddy used and want to know what she has? Try here:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

They even tell you how many cars have those particular options.

Wendy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.