Wire Harness Repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Wire Harness Repair in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I plan on taking off my PCM wire harness to troubleshoot the connections to the EBTCM (and the others for ...
    Freakzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9L 200,000m

Wire Harness Repair

I plan on taking off my PCM wire harness to troubleshoot the connections to the EBTCM (and the others for good measure). I plan to check for opens and repair with 18 AWG wire and butt splice connectors (weatherproof) and I'll also check for wire-to-wire shorts, repairing insulation with tape.

Is 18 AWG wire a good size to use? I got 18-20 AWG connectors. Those were the smallest they had at the auto parts store.

Anyone know what size wire the factory used? The connector wire looks like 18 but at the PCM it looks smaller. I'm hoping it's not smaller than 20.

I also got new red conduit.

I know I'll have to replace some connectors that are falling apart, I hope to utilize the local pull-a-part for those. I'll also clean off the grounds and use new star washers.

Anyone have any other tips that might be helpful in this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Re: Wire Harness Repair

Unfortunately, it all depends upon the application. I've got my steering column down at the moment and half of what I have is at least 14 awg. If I remember correctly, that's the blue connector, not the red. However, I seem to recall using the red 18-24 awg splice and butt conns. successfully with 14 ga wire in the past -- WAY in the past.

The only tips I can give you are to work slowly and carefully and to use heat-shrink tubing over the ends of all your splices. I usually go to Radio Shack for that -- unless someone has a line on less expensive stuff. When it comes to wiring, there is no room for error. If you're meticulous about not cutting any strands as you splice the wires -- hard to do unless you don't cut the insulation completely before starting your splice -- and you ensure a good crimp capturing all the wires, then seal it all with shrink tubing, you should be okay.

I wish you luck in your rather ambitious endeavour. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Wendy.

Wendy-J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Re: Wire Harness Repair

One more thing.

Try to only work with one wire at a time when you cut things apart. It ensures you don't splice a hot wire to a ground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.