Backlighting Bulbs???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Backlighting Bulbs??? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Does anyone have a source for the little bulbs with the built-in socket and little colored condoms that are used ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Question Backlighting Bulbs???

Does anyone have a source for the little bulbs with the built-in socket and little colored condoms that are used for the backlighting in my 1996 STS? I need one for the driver's door theatre light, the information center panel, and the floor shifter console. The dealer says these are not available alone, and I have to order the whole assembly!!!

Charles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Backlighting Bulbs???

Unfortunately, the only somewhat consistent affordable source I have found has been the junkyard. They used those bulbs for a multitude of years. Many people have taken to upgrading them with LEDs.

96 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS, 2002 Seville SLS

Charles, I feel your pain brother. I too needed some of these bulbs for the door lock covers on my STS and could not find any anywhere. My dealer was also clueless on where to get any. I agree w/ DaveSmed that a salvage car my be the best/easiest way to find some. I ended up pulling some similar bulbs out of an old gauge cluster that I had for a Mitsubishi Diamante.

It seems VERY strange to me that nobody can find these bulbs. I mean I've seen them on many, many cars that I've worked on over the years, but I've never been able to find any at stores. Surely these things can be bought SOMEWHERE. I mean NO bulb lasts forever. They all pop eventually.

I never even thought about converting to LED. That's a very good idea. Hell, you can get LEDS almost anywhere.

If anyone finds any of these bulbs, please keep us informed. I might just buy a massive load of them & sell them on eBay or something. I mean we can't be the only ones who need them.

96 STS

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think I have located the bulbs and socket however they come in quan. of 600. I have replaced just the bulb in the little socket now looking at that source quan. of only 100. Will report if sample bulbs work out.
    sts96

Trench is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille

I had to replace those little light bulbs on my Olds 88 before I ditched it. I was able to match them up with some bulbs from *gulp* Wal-Mart. They were just some generic miniature bulbs. The brand name is right on the tip of my tongue, BAH. It was a bitch to get one of those little condom deals off, though. Because it was already ripped so I had to be extra careful.

Wal-Mart saved the day. How humiliating.

Took me almost an hour to buy one thing.

Anyway,

Dustin

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Try checking with a Delco repair facility too. They repair the radios and clusters, so they should have them.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I went to the local AC/Delco repair facility that does radios, and they said they have never seen anything like the bulbs I showed them. They gave me the number of a place on the East Coast called Specmo that repairs instrument clusters. I called them and described the bulbs and what they go in, and they also were unable to help. I finally bought a replacement Driver Information Center control on eBay for $10 and am waiting for it to arrive hoping the lights are still functional. What a PITA!! Did the Wal-Mart bulbs come in the socket, or did you have to thread the leads into the old sockets?

Charles

Trench is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado (Gone) ; 2001 Seville SLS (RIP) ; 2005 DeVille

I had to use the existing socket.

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The grey twist in sockets use a wedge bulb # 73 must reuse the cover sheath for color or just use without can be ordered from www.jameco.com stock # 209461cl .29 ea. The bulbs for the small black neo wedge socket can be replaced with a smaller bulb # 7219 just unwrap the bulb leads from the socket and wrap the new ones in place. This bulb is smaller but gives about the same amount of light. jameco stock # 209998 cl price .29 or radio shack 72-1092. If I find the correct size will post later.LOL sts96

92nsx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V , 07 EXT

bump
    any one know if these work then,

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

Search the Eldorado/Seville forum for NeoWedge . You should find some info. That is the official name of those bulbs.

There are several wattage/sizes.

Peteski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.