1994 STS alternator question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 1994 STS alternator question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just purchased a 1994 STS. Having a problem with the charging system which i thought was the alternator(only showing ...
    broksonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS

1994 STS alternator question

I just purchased a 1994 STS.
    Having a problem with the charging system which i thought was the alternator(only showing 11.5v charging). I replaced the alternator and had it tested before i brought it home and tested fine.
    Replaced the old one and am still only getting 11.5-11.7v.

While checking the wire diagram in Chilton i noticed that they show 2 wires coming from the alternator as well as the main to the battery. the main is red, the other two on one connector is red and gray. Chilton shows red to the information display and the gray to the PCM.

Seems mine only has 1 (the red wire).

Should there be a gray wire there also?

If not any ideas on the possible problem with the lack of charging?

Battery good, all connections cleaned and checked, the pcm shows as a remanufactured.

If i AM missing the gray wire, anywhere i can find the pin out of the PCM unit to run a new wire tot he alternator?

Otherwise the car is in GREAT shape 100k no rust or scratches, interior almost perfect (just a couple of floor stains to get out). Just got to get the charging figured out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1994 STS alternator question

Slight mistake in my first post... it was they HAYES manual that showed 2 wires.. i just picked up the Chilton one and it only shows 1 wire (the red one).

It was suggested that i run a jumper wire from the battery to this small red wire to "excite" the alternator to throw full voltage. I was told this would tell me if maybe the wire or the pcm was bad...
    Thoughts?

Another update...

Went ahead and put in a new PCM unit.. no luck... still showing 11.5-11.7v from the alternator...

Only thing left is the damn red wire...

ANYWHERE i can find the pcm wire out diagram?? Tracking this wire is going to be a pain in the a$$.

ANYONE??? wire diagram??

helipirate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 SLS

My voltage is low on my 96 SLS too. Mine is still in the 12 volt range. I just replaced battery and alternator with an AC Delco re-manufactured unit. My voltage actually got a little worse. Next I am going to run another cable from the alternator to the battery so I will have 2 on the same post. I have been reading about a few Caddy's with similar issues doing this and it fixed it because they found corrosion under all the insulation even though the connections were clean. I will let you know if it works and also what wires my alternator has on it.

WELL.. after replacing the alternator, then the PCM, and even running a new wire from the PCM to the alternator... i found out the whole problem was actually the connection on the alternator to the PCM.

The repair WOULD have been about $5.00 for the part (might want to check that out on yours helipirate).. but .. about $300 later... (and 3 different PCMs, the other 2 kept throwing me faults on other components) shes at least running.

Now just have to get the ride control sensor replaced... the A/C charged, and new mufflers... Oh yea.. and get the dang CD out of the stereo (it seems to be stuck in there)

So it was the plug that you put into the alternator or the part you put the plug in on the alternator?

Thanks for the update, these electrical bugs are so hard to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by helipirate View Post
    So it was the plug that you put into the alternator or the part you put the plug in on the alternator?
    My STS has one wire from the alternator to the battery... (the thick red one)...

Then there is a lockable single small red wire that goes from the PCM to the alternator..(best i can figure is that this sends a signal to the alternator as to how much of a charge that needs to be sent).

The one i replaced is the small red wire connector. I cut off the connector end.. spliced and shrink wrapped (heat wrapped) the splice. Plugged it back in and it started charging correctly.
    If i remember right.. it was like $4.95 at my local Advanced Auto store.

I got a connector on order, it should be here in a few days. Cadillac wanted $72 for it! I found one online for $10 since advanced auto could not order it for some reason.

joe_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 96 sts had same issue. broken wire at plug. i got a used plug at boneyard. seems 96-97 sevilles/devilles had similar plugs. 94-95 cars seem to have single wire plugs. alt tested fine.

No luck for me. Changed my connector and still have the same problem

Also mine was a two wire connector unlike yours.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

your voltage regulator could be bad inside the alternator

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.