HELP! Ignition Switch; Cant start car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, HELP! Ignition Switch; Cant start car in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; so finally my 80 coupe joins the 78 and 79 for having ignition switch problems. The 79 keys are stuck ...
    1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

HELP! Ignition Switch; Cant start car

so finally my 80 coupe joins the 78 and 79 for having ignition switch problems. The 79 keys are stuck in and can not release so ignition switch removed at base of column and now starts with small screwdriver. The 79 keys go in, out but won't crank over (same as my 80 now) so two wires start the 78 and my 80. I want to fix it on the 80, is it simple, looks complicated to me.
    For the time being I'm using two wires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: HELP! Ignition Switch; Cant start car

Anyone?
    Someone's Caddy must have had similar or exact problems. Would like to know if this is a simple thing to do or pay someone to do it.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

The key tumbler assembly is removed by turning the key back to the accessory position and inserting a thin stiff wire into the hole in the chrome bezel below the key. Then you get a new tumbler with key and reinstall. If the lock "rack" broke then the whole upper steering column must be disassembled to access this rack, best left to a professional because of the special tools necc.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    The key tumbler assembly is removed by turning the key back to the accessory position and inserting a thin stiff wire into the hole in the chrome bezel below the key. Then you get a new tumbler with key and reinstall. If the lock "rack" broke then the whole upper steering column must be disassembled to access this rack, best left to a professional because of the special tools necc.
    There's no hole below the key. would have to remove steering wheel and internal componets. Special tools??? Don't need "special tools" saw vids on youtube on how it's done and will do it myself to save $.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Look again. The chrome bezel you push with your thumb to rotate the key usually has a small access hole, if not then the wheel must be removed with a wheel puller tool and then a special tool is threaded onto the strg shaft to depress the locking plate thats under serious tension, then the strg shaft lock ring is removed then the locking plate and spring, then you depress a pin to remove the lock tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Look again. The chrome bezel you push with your thumb to rotate the key usually has a small access hole, if not then the wheel must be removed with a wheel puller tool and then a special tool is threaded onto the strg shaft to depress the locking plate thats under serious tension, then the strg shaft lock ring is removed then the locking plate and spring, then you depress a pin to remove the lock tumbler.
    I'll check but I don't think so. So it's on the tumbler assembly part? It's not under the column where the tumbler is.
    Shouldn't be a problem to remove steering wheel, I have already done that to replace the cracked that I had and placed an almost NOS one found on eBay.
    The vids I saw on GM removal didn't depress a pin, they had to remove a bolt. I'll see when I'll take on the task. For now I just simply touch the 2 wires
    coming from above the cruise control cover.

Ha, 2 years already and still have not fixed it. I just use a push button to start....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.