1992 Deville, OBD issues! Security system issues!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 1992 Deville, OBD issues! Security system issues! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, any idea on what would make the OBD stop working? 1992 cadillac deville btw, 4.9. I got the ...
    caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

1992 Deville, OBD issues! Security system issues!

Hey guys, any idea on what would make the OBD stop working? 1992 cadillac deville btw, 4.9. I got the car, and supposedly, it needed a tranny and a battery. Jumped the battery and got her home, driving it in 1st gear. Once home, I checked the OBD and it came up with three codes, E52(battery), E75(PRNDL Switch) and E91(VSS). Found the PRNDL switch to be loose, so I positioned it the best I could and tightened it. Disconnected the VSS switch, looked at the connector, and reconnected it. Got back into the car, cleared the codes(off and hi, off and low) until it read clear.(7.0). Took the car for a drive and the tranny worked fantastic! Color me one happy man!

On the second test drive however, I felt the car surging when I would come to a stop. You could hear the idle, high/normal/high/normal, every two seconds or so. So I went to check the OBD again and it's messed up. After I push warmer and off, "000" is displayed, then 7.0, and then it just cycles back and forth every second or two between them. 000, 7.0 , 000, 7.0. If I clear the codes, it will show
    E0.0 but it's also alternated between the 000. So it would flash 000, E0.0, 000, etc.

Any ideas on what this could mean/be? In the mornings when I drive it, it does not surge, but the OBD still reads out as such.

Also to note, the security system on this car is also messed up. The trunk key cylinder is missing, and looks like it had a wire connected to it. The drivers side key cylinder is not secured, and can be pulled out slightly. The security light blinks non stop when the car is off. When I start the car though, the light goes off, and the power locks work. The power locks do not work when the car is shut off and the security light blink.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 1992 Deville, OBD issues! Security system issues!

I'm not familiar with a '92, but it sounds like your car "thinks" it is being stolen; security system.

caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

Well, I fixed the security issues finally! I was able to secure the key cylinder in the drivers door, and I found a replacement cylinder for the trunk. The light then changed from blinking to solid. Luckily, I found out the cause.

Brand new, this caddy had the power trunk pull down. The previous owner replaced this unit with the standard latch. The standard latch will not tell the security system that the trunk is closed. So the security light was staying on thinking that the trunk was open. I disconnected the trunk theft switch(until I find a power trunkpulldown) and the security system works perfectly.

I still have the OBD issues though. 000s

sancho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    So the security light is suppose to stay on when you turn the car off? Because I have that issue as well.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan
    Could be the key or the Ignition

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This thread has been dead for 4.3 years ..............

In some models the "security" reminder stays lit for 30 seconds after locking the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.