'90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, '90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Recently I was driving on a road trip and there was another car on the road with no lights. I ...
    Snyder81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 90 Deville

Lightbulb '90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help!

Recently I was driving on a road trip and there was another car on the road with no lights. I blinked my lights at him with my Twilight Sentinel switch(I never use the push/pull headlight switch). When I got home, I found that my parking/running lights WON'T SHUT OFF! This includes the front marker lamps(turn signals), the side marker lamps, and the rear running lamps(a.k.a weak brake lights). The only way to kill the lights is to pull the fuse(number 14) from the interior fusebox. I figured since I was rapidly blinking my lights with the Twilight Sentinel(TS) switch that I probably burned the switch out. I replaced the TS switch with a brand new one but that made no difference. What else should I be checking? I bought a Chilton's, but I think I'm going to need a little hand-holding on this issue. I am truly at a loss. Any help or suggestions are appreciated! Working on cars is a new thing to me, but I am willing to learn and understand with a little explanation. Thanks! :banghead2

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: '90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help!

Anyone even have an idea? How about some other resources I could look into?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

So very sorry, I missed this thread!! We are normally better about replying...

I think there is another thread that has the same problem..... Do a search, and it should uncover it.... If you are still having problems, or cant find the thread, post back and ill do my best to help!

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    So very sorry, I missed this thread!! We are normally better about replying...

I think there is another thread that has the same problem..... Do a search, and it should uncover it.... If you are still having problems, or cant find the thread, post back and ill do my best to help!

The other thread was similar, but that was just on disabling daytime running lamps. I just want mine to function normally(e.g. shut off when I flip the switch). Any ideas?

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls
    Just a little clarification of the problem--The parking lamps stay on at all times and when it gets dark, the headlamps will turn on in addition to the parking lamps that are already on? And then when you turn the car off, the headlamps will turn off after the Twilight delay but the parking lamps will remain on?

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln
    Just a little clarification of the problem--The parking lamps stay on at all times and when it gets dark, the headlamps will turn on in addition to the parking lamps that are already on? And then when you turn the car off, the headlamps will turn off after the Twilight delay but the parking lamps will remain on?

Max
    Since I've owned the car, the lights have NEVER turned on/off because of dusk/sunlight. Either my car does not have this functionality, or it has been broken since the car was relatively new.

The parking lamps are one 24/7 even when the car is not running. It does not matter if I push/pull the headlight switch or disable/enable the Twilight Sentinel. The only way to shut the parking lights off is to pull the fuse(Fuse 14).

-Scott

Just a little more clarification--So at night, you manually pull the light switch on to turn on your headlights which is only the 2 front lights because the rest of the parking lamps are already on? And then when you stop the car, you push the headlight switch in to turn off the lights but the only thing that goes off is the 2 front headlights and the remaining parking lights stay on? This is just a recent problem? Prior to this, you used to pull the switch on to turn them on and then push the switch in to turn them off and everything worked OK?

Max

Just a little more clarification--So at night, you manually pull the light switch on to turn on your headlights which is only the 2 front lights because the rest of the parking lamps are already on? And then when you stop the car, you push the headlight switch in to turn off the lights but the only thing that goes off is the 2 front headlights and the remaining parking lights stay on? This is just a recent problem? Prior to this, you used to pull the switch on to turn them on and then push the switch in to turn them off and everything worked OK?

Max
    The original post has the conditions surrounding the incident and when it first happened. If I have the fuse in, regardless of what time or day or night it is, ALL my running lights are on. This includes my front markers, side markers, and rear running lights. The ONLY way to shut them off is to pull the fuse. However, even what fuse 14 is pulled, my turn signals and brake lights still work?

My headlights function properly as they should.

And then when you stop the car, you push the headlight switch in to turn off the lights but the only thing that goes off is the 2 front headlights and the remaining parking lights stay on?
    Correct.

Sorry, I forgot what originally happened. I'm trying to figure what is going on but I'm getting confused. You first stated that you turned your lights on and off by using the Twilight Sentinel switch and that you never use the manual push/pull switch. Then you stated that you replaced your Twilight Sentinel switch. You later went on to state that your lights have never operated by using the Twilight Sentinel and you aren't even sure if your car has it even though you stated that you replaced the switch. I'm really confused. What exactly do you think your Twilight Sentinel function is and exactly how did you normally operate your headlight system prior to it not working properly? How do you operate it now?

Max

Sorry, I forgot what originally happened. I'm trying to figure what is going on but I'm getting confused. You first stated that you turned your lights on and off by using the Twilight Sentinel switch and that you never use the manual push/pull switch. Then you stated that you replaced your Twilight Sentinel switch. You later went on to state that your lights have never operated by using the Twilight Sentinel and you aren't even sure if your car has it even though you stated that you replaced the switch. I'm really confused. What exactly do you think your Twilight Sentinel function is and exactly how did you normally operate your headlight system prior to it not working properly? How do you operate it now?

Max
    Sorry for all the confusion. I use my Twilight Sentinel switch EXCLUSIVELY to turn of/off my headlights. I NEVER use the push/pull headlight switch. To turn the lights on, I just rotate the Twilight Sentinel switch until they click on. My parking lights used to shut off with the headlights when I would click my Twilight Sentinel switch off. Now my parking lights are stuck on 24/7, regardless of whether I try to shut them off using the Twilight Sentinel or push/pull headlights switch. The ONLY way to shut off my parking/running lamps is to pull the switch from the fusebox.

Does that make sense? I'd be happy to clarify more if necessary.

Also, sorry it took so long to reply. I was out of town all weekend camping.

It does clarify things alot. Your Twilight Sentinel is your automatic headlamp system. When in the "OFF" position, you have no automatic operation and you have to use the push/pull switch to operate your headlamps. When you rotate the Twilight Sentinel thumbwheel past off to the right, you put the headlamps into automatic mode. The automatic mode is any postion other than the "OFF" position. The automatic mode means that when it is dark enough outside, the headlamps will come on automatically and then when it gets light enough outside, they will automatically go off. There is a 30 second delay time for going on or off to compensate for going under tunnels, or parking under a bright light. When you turn your vehicle off, the headlamps will stay on for a preset time depending on what position the thumbwheel is in. If it is right past the "OFF" position, the headlamps will go off in a few seconds. If it is all the way to the right, they will stay on for 2-3 minutes and will vary for any position in between. That is how your headlamp system is designed to operate. What you have been doing is simply turning your automatic headlamp system on and off to control your headlamps where you should only normally turn the system on, and then never bother with them again. All this time, and you could have had automatic headlamps.

As for your current problem, which switch exactly did you replace? Was it the Twilight Sentinel thumbwheel? You should probably replace the headlamp switch if you haven't. That would be the first thing that I would do. If that doesn't do it, possibly the Twilight Sentinel amplifier but I think the headlamp switch should to the trick.

Max

The twilight Sentinel thumbswitch is what I replaced. I will replace the headlamp switch as well and see if that fixes the problem. Where is the Twilight Sentinel Amplifier? Also, how much will a new headlamp switch cost? Is this something I should pick up at the dealer or will it be considerably cheaper to retrieve one from a junkyard?

It does clarify things alot. Your Twilight Sentinel is your automatic headlamp system. When in the "OFF" position, you have no automatic operation and you have to use the push/pull switch to operate your headlamps. When you rotate the Twilight Sentinel thumbwheel past off to the right, you put the headlamps into automatic mode. The automatic mode is any postion other than the "OFF" position. The automatic mode means that when it is dark enough outside, the headlamps will come on automatically and then when it gets light enough outside, they will automatically go off. There is a 30 second delay time for going on or off to compensate for going under tunnels, or parking under a bright light. When you turn your vehicle off, the headlamps will stay on for a preset time depending on what position the thumbwheel is in. If it is right past the "OFF" position, the headlamps will go off in a few seconds. If it is all the way to the right, they will stay on for 2-3 minutes and will vary for any position in between. That is how your headlamp system is designed to operate. What you have been doing is simply turning your automatic headlamp system on and off to control your headlamps where you should only normally turn the system on, and then never bother with them again. All this time, and you could have had automatic headlamps.

As for your current problem, which switch exactly did you replace? Was it the Twilight Sentinel thumbwheel? You should probably replace the headlamp switch if you haven't. That would be the first thing that I would do. If that doesn't do it, possibly the Twilight Sentinel amplifier but I think the headlamp switch should to the trick.

Max

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

The relays could probably be obtained at a junkyard..... Unless the car has been sitting for a while, then they may have dry rotted......

DanBiel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also have a '90 Sedan Deville, but my problem is that the headlamps will not turn off after I shut the car off. I have had to resort to pulling the battery cable from the battery in order to turn them off. Recently I replaced the headlight pull switch, but that did not change anything.

Perhaps someone could tell me where the headlight hi/low switch or relay is located in this year and model of vehicle.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The dimmer switch is located on the left-hand side of the steering column. Just follow the link from the lever to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.