'90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, '90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Katshot The dimmer switch is located on the left-hand side of the steering column. Just follow the ...
    DanBiel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: '90 Sedan Deville - Running lamps won't turn off - Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    The dimmer switch is located on the left-hand side of the steering column. Just follow the link from the lever to it.
    Thanks for the information. I saw in a Chilton manual's wiring diagram for this vehicle that there is a hi/low beam switch that the headlight tie into and a yellow wire goes from that switch to the pull switch. So, are you saying that this switch the manual tells me about is not in the engine compartment but it is the lever on the steering column?

Also, I have used a circuit tester and found that in the pull switch a circuit is completed between where the heavy yellow wire and the black wire connect to the switch (The heavy yellow wire is always hot and I assume the black wire is ground). I found this in the original pull switch and in the one I got from the salvage yard. I ran a wire between the two wires to test and see if the lights would come on and sure enough they did. Do I have two faulty pull switches or is this how the pull switch is designed and my problem lies elsewhere?

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The heavy yellow wire is the power "IN" to the dimmer switch which is located on the side of the column, connected to the lever via a "link".
    Looking at the schematic, I see that the heavy yellow wire comes from the headlamp switch but is ALSO tied into the twilight sentinel system via the amplifier. So even though you replaced the sentinel SWITCH, the amplifier is what actually could be the problem, and IT is part of the rearview mirror on the windshield. And strangely enough, guess what fuse powers the amp? #14

Snyder81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 90 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    The heavy yellow wire is the power "IN" to the dimmer switch which is located on the side of the column, connected to the lever via a "link".
    Looking at the schematic, I see that the heavy yellow wire comes from the headlamp switch but is ALSO tied into the twilight sentinel system via the amplifier. So even though you replaced the sentinel SWITCH, the amplifier is what actually could be the problem, and IT is part of the rearview mirror on the windshield. And strangely enough, guess what fuse powers the amp? #14
    Nothing has changed since the last time I posted since I have not had time to order a replacement headlamp switch.

Ok...more confusion to add to the mystery...

Regardless of whether or not I pull fuse number 14, my digital tripometer resets to 0.0 miles every time I shut the car off and restart it. Does this help with diagnosis? Also I spoke with the Cadillac parts department at my local dealer and the guy said there are 3 or 4 different parts to the switch...is this true? If so, which one should I replace? I don't want to waste money buying parts that don't need replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by DanBiel
    I also have a '90 Sedan Deville, but my problem is that the headlamps will not turn off after I shut the car off. I have had to resort to pulling the battery cable from the battery in order to turn them off. Recently I replaced the headlight pull switch, but that did not change anything.

Perhaps someone could tell me where the headlight hi/low switch or relay is located in this year and model of vehicle.
    Dan, how much did it cost to replace your headlamp switch? I replaced my twilight Sentinel switch and it made no difference. Do you want to trade our old switches for one another? I need another headlamp push/pull switch to try and you need a twilight sentinel...why not ship them to each other?

-Scott

BIGWHITE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snyder81
    Dan, how much did it cost to replace your headlamp switch? I replaced my twilight Sentinel switch and it made no difference. Do you want to trade our old switches for one another? I need another headlamp push/pull switch to try and you need a twilight sentinel...why not ship them to each other?

-Scott
    Is it possible that the photocell that tells the system that it is dark outside is blown? This may explain why the running lights are always on. I am guessing that the little photocell is much less expensive than the headlight switch. Just an idea....

Best of luck

BIGWHITE

Quote Originally Posted by BIGWHITE
    Is it possible that the photocell that tells the system that it is dark outside is blown? This may explain why the running lights are always on. I am guessing that the little photocell is much less expensive than the headlight switch. Just an idea....

Best of luck

BIGWHITE
    It is very possible, but that should not affect the parking lights regardless, because they are still stuck on with both the Twilight Sentinel and the headlight/parking lamp switch are in the off position. I am picking up a new headlight switch today at the dealer and will see if that fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyder81
    It is very possible, but that should not affect the parking lights regardless, because they are still stuck on with both the Twilight Sentinel and the headlight/parking lamp switch are in the off position. I am picking up a new headlight switch today at the dealer and will see if that fixes the problem.
    I installed the new headlight switch tonight and my parking lights still won't shut off without the removing the fuse from the fusebox. You guys mentioned the possibility of relays going bad. What exactly does a relay look like? Is a relay the plastic eletrical outlet that plugs into the switch I just replaced?

One more thing...if I enable my hazards, the parking lights DO blink on and off. What does all of this mean? This problem is driving me nuts!

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

A relay, on my car anyway, looks like a mega fuse..... Its like a little box with a bunch of plugs...... They sorta act like a fuse, but in different ways.......

1stcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you check your DIC codes yet?

I had B120 History and B121 History in mine once.

Had to do with Twilight Sentinel pot problem.

1stcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Check your codes and then check here:

http://dana60.com/rickko/allante/93DiagnosticCodes.html

This is the best I have found on diagnostics for my '88 Eldorado Biarritz.

DanBiel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It has been a long while since I posted to this forum. I finally solved my lights not turning off problem by taking it into the dealer and having them remove the Sentinel module. They found it to the right of the steering column and took them about 20 minutes to remove it. I had tried to find it and thought I would have to remove the dash, but since the dealer did it in such short time, I believe that it is very easy to remove. After its removal, I now manually turn my lights on and off. So, I have a shorted-out Sentinel module sitting in my trunk.

I exhausted all other possibilities, like the photocell being burnt out. I had unplugged it, covered it up, etc. and nothing had changed.

Good luck to all who have this problem.

rapp at is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same problem with my parking light on my 98 aurora. Can you give more details. I understand the dealer pulled the module. Did they replace it?

Does it worknow in auto? how much did they charge?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.