2000 Deville alternator busted!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 2000 Deville alternator busted! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 2000 Deville DHS and got a message on the DIC, Baterry not charging. The alternator had gone ...
    riazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy 2000 Deville alternator busted!

I have a 2000 Deville DHS and got a message on the DIC, Baterry not charging. The alternator had gone bust at 115k and so I figured it was time for a replacement. The dealer wanted a grand to do the job so I decided to get it done at my friends shop. Suprise! The alternator costs $700 and is a dealer only item. I'm stumped. Apparently this is a water cooled radiator that pumps out 150A. The car is used as a fleet car and I feel that maybe the regular alternator is the best bet. The 99 Devilles had regular alternators that lasted for 200k miles plus, so I was kind of suprised that this liquid cooled one failed so fast.
    I am going to see if I can get a regular alternator and plug it in. Would appreciate any help from anyone who has been through this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Re: 2000 Deville alternator busted!

I would check in to having your alternator "Rebuilt" by a shop that specialized in generators and alternators etc. Another option is the Salvage yard, you might find a "Low Mileage" Caddy with one to fit yours. 120 amps should be enough to power all your accessories and then some.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by riazoo
    I have a 2000 Deville DHS and got a message on the DIC, Baterry not charging. The alternator had gone bust at 115k and so I figured it was time for a replacement. The dealer wanted a grand to do the job so I decided to get it done at my friends shop. Suprise! The alternator costs $700 and is a dealer only item. I'm stumped. Apparently this is a water cooled radiator that pumps out 150A. The car is used as a fleet car and I feel that maybe the regular alternator is the best bet. The 99 Devilles had regular alternators that lasted for 200k miles plus, so I was kind of suprised that this liquid cooled one failed so fast.
    I am going to see if I can get a regular alternator and plug it in. Would appreciate any help from anyone who has been through this.
    Unless you like changing generators you would be best off to replace it with the correct liquid cooled generator. Afterall, the last one lastest 115K. That is not bad for a generator that works as hard as the one on a Cadillac with all the electronic content that needs a lot of power.

Chances are all that is wrong is the diode trio in the generator, anyway. Take it to an auto electric shop or re-man facility and see if they can service just the diode trio in it.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

I think the water cooled alts were recalled and converted to 'standard dry' alternator.......

I cannot find the bulletin. Maybe try the NHTSA website.

Logan
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

riazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the tip! Got a reman alternator from AC Delco dealer atfor$398.00. Could not find a reasonable alternative to the liquid cooled generatorQuite a lot cheaper than the dealer option. The alternator was a real pain to take out. Had to drop the ac compressor in addition to loosening the front engine mount. You definitely need a lift for this job. The alternator is held in place by about 5 bolts and they are NOT easy to get at. Would not recommend it for the DIY. If you have night vision add another hour worth of labor. Also am changing the belt which was pretty shot at 115k. The hubs have also been changed since there was play. Hope to keep it on the road for another 100k before getting a Linc! Kidding! The Caddi is great if you can keep the fluids changed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.