96 SDV . Battery drains
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 96 SDV . Battery drains in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Battery was draining over the weekend and would have to jump off in the morning . Now it does it ...
    BooBoo77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

96 SDV . Battery drains

Battery was draining over the weekend and would have to jump off in the morning . Now it does it every day . What might be cuasing the electrical drain . I removed the horn relay and it didnt help . Been doing it since before I bought the car last year and has slowly gotton worse . Thanks . BooBoo77

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 96 SDV . Battery drains

OK , I did a draw test with a test light and it stays on . So I started pulling fuses and the light stayed on until I pulled a Maxie fuse . Its the 3rd one down marked 50 amp "BODY" . So what should I do now ? What all does that fues control ? Thanks . BooBoo

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Either the BCM (Body Control Module) or the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) module. They control power to every light, switch, button, who-knows-what in the car. If one module hangs "ON" it will drain the battery in short order. Read up on how to pull your codes for diagnostics - its already built into the car - and see what's going on. Instructions are at the top of this, Northstar performance, Seville, Deville, and Cadillac Technical Tips main pages.

Thanks for the reply , I'll check it out .

richscho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Concours

I agree that the problem is a BCM problem, but: Are you certain that "the battery is being drained?"

I have a somewhat similar problem but I have over a very extended distress with this problem, come to the conclusion that the battery is not being drained at all. In fact, the battery "will not drain!"

What started as an intermittent, and originally infrequent problem, has developed into a: "Turn it off, and it will not even think about restarting" problem. However, hook a 'jump box' up and it starts immediately, and without hesitation. (An effective, though moderately embarrassing normal mode of operation.)

The car cannot find a ground until the jump box is attached. The jump box supplies a 'ground', and everything proceeds swimmingly.

Now comes the next step in the quest: Which BCM is causing the problem? It appears that there are at least two modules designated as BCMs, and over time, I have heard murmurs (literally) from the locations of multiple such modules.

In shopping for parts, I have found that some BCMs may also exist in the doors, but the locations from which I have heard sounds, are located: a) behind the right side of the rear seat; b) beneath the passenger side front seat; c) from the dash, behind the air bag area on the passenger side.

How does one determine the location of a BCM problem? (Which BCM is the problem, and how do I know?) I am not amused at the prospect of replacing anything that is called a BCM just to surround the problem?

If your battery is really being drained, by a BCM, then you may be able to determine which such module controls the function through which the 'drain' is flowing. Or at least that makes sense to me. If I have no flow (no "open" "drain" paths, how do I address this?

I would act to determine what route your electrons are using to disappear, before they decide not to disappear at all...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.