Horn Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Horn Problems in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1969 Caddy Hearse Fleetwood model. I can't get the horn to work. I have used a hot ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Horn Problems

I have a 1969 Caddy Hearse Fleetwood model. I can't get the horn to work. I have used a hot wire to the horns themselves and they are both good. In trying to read the schematic in my shop manual I believe there is some kind of horn relay under the dash. Can someone explain to me how the steering wheel mechanism for activating the horn works. I've had the rubber cover off and there is a white wire attached to a plastic "button" that I assume when depressed should activate the horn. Haven't put alot of time into this problem yet so I thought I would post here for suggestions. I have checked the fuse and it is good. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Re: Horn Problems

Does your key reminder buzzer work? (Work is a relative term, I had to push my key in to get it to buzz, but it did buzz...)

Reason is that the Horn relay and the key buzzer are usually the same unit.

Dave, Just tried the key and no buzzer. Where is that relay located? Thanks.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Its a silver can with one large connector on one side, and a small one wire connector on the other. On my car, it is located under the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column on the firewall.

Dave thanks for the reply. I had already located it and replaced it and still no horn. I've included some pictures below. On the relay the single spade connector on the left has a white wire that I've traced continuity to the horn feeds that hook to the horns themselves under hood. Got good continuity in both so that is good. Moving right the next single spade connector is part of the bigger three wire connector and it has a red wire going to it. The upper right spade has a black and white wire and the lower right spade has a green wire that I traced continuity to the brass colored metal inside the steering wheel under the cover. The white wire with the round connector inside the steering wheel, at the bottom, I'm assuming is the one when touched to the wheel completes the circuit and sends the power to the right side of the relay which then activates it and sends power to the horns via the single spade connector on the left of the relay. I cannot seem to get anything from the white wire in the steering wheel to the right side of the relay. How does this work. Does this relay have to be hard mounted to the firewall so that it it is grounded? The old one had some sort of bracket that just hooked into the old floorboard insulation. It was not mounted to the firewall. Pulled the bottom of the dash and can't trace where that white wire goes or how it ties into the relay. Thanks for any help. Electrical is always tough but this one can't be to hard.
    Attached Images

Got it fixed. There is a flip open access at the bottom of the steering wheel. Opened it and one of the solder joints came loose. Resoldered and all is well. Thanks.

garck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tbanks, You may have just solved the horn problem on my 69 Coupe Deville the guy at the shop said that the wire connection at the bottom of the steer wheel was bad I haven't had time to troubleshoot it. thanks

Also remember to activate this horn you must press in on the OUTER ring of the steering wheel. Not the center pad. On mine there are a couple of dead spots that won't sound the horn. I found at the top of the wheel if I take my thumb and press in on the OUTER ring I can sound the horn every time. Hope this helps as well. Happy honking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.