Battery is draining, what could it be?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Battery is draining, what could it be? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; In my '81 Sedan DeVille the battery has been draining and going dead, if it just sits a couple days. ...
    rollerz70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Battery is draining, what could it be?

In my '81 Sedan DeVille the battery has been draining and going dead, if it just sits a couple days. I've been jumping it and letting it run for 15-20 minutes when this happens. Usually I can let it sit one day and it will still have enough juice to start, but if I don't start it everyday then by the second day of letting it just sit the battery is almost dead. The battery I have in it is pretty much brand new. Bought it about a year ago for another one of my cars, but the battery just ended up sitting. So I charged the battery before I put it in the DeVille. What could be drawing all the charge from the battery? Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: Battery is draining, what could it be?

The battery could be bad. Especially if it was sitting low for a while. Get that and the charging system checked first, then start looking for other problems.

kdybread is offline Cadillac Owners Member

when mine was doing that, it was the electric antenna module that was jolting all night every 15 minutes or so..took me a month and a lot of wasted money to figure it out, but we just disconnected the antenna motor and it worked fine.

rollerz70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Well the other day I went to go jump start my car, I let my other Caddy,'84, run for about 5 minutes, hoped in my '81 and tried to start it. It wasn't even turning over! So I let it charge for a few more minutes, made sure that the jumper cables were on tight, got back in and it tried to turn over. At this time I checked the fuse box and pulled out the power antenna fuse, gave it about 1 minute and the car started right up! So now I know that the power antenna was the problem. Now just have to recharge the battery and see if the battery is still good to hold the charge from sitting so long. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.