Day Time Running Lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, Day Time Running Lights in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; How does one go about 'deleting' day time running lights? I have never liked them and I would like a ...
    HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Day Time Running Lights

How does one go about 'deleting' day time running lights? I have never liked them and I would like a car were I control when I will be seen. Because maybe I don't want someone seeing me. It is a gangster car, and gangsters need some stealth every once in awhile!

Seriously, how can I disconnect it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    As I recall, there's a fuse for them that you can disconnect. My books are at work, so I can't look it up for you. There's also a DRL module that I think is behind the left headlamp area and looks like a hockey puck. This all going from memory so don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking at the FSM. I don't see an inline fuse for the DRL.

I have found a DRL relay that wires to the CCM, headlamps and headlamp relays.

It looks like unplugging the DRL relay from the CCM is the way to do it. There is also a diode mounted to the brake bracket. Unplugging this would disconnect the DRL relay switch connection from the headlamp. But it would leave the CCM connection to the headlamp relay.

I guess I could try the easier to locate one first.

jert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My 96 DeVille has a twightlite by the headlight switch and I slide it to the far left to the off position to run without daylight lights.....

Re: Day Time Running Lights

Quote Originally Posted by jert
    My 96 DeVille has a twightlite by the headlight switch and I slide it to the far left to the off position to run without daylight lights.....
    That only turns the Twighlite off on the Fleetwood. The DRLs still remain on since they are hard wired into the system with a diode and a relay.

I haven't done it yet but the diode mounted on the brake bracket looks like the best place to unplug it. It's easy to find, it's the source for the DRL hot power and it's not connected to the PCM like the relay. The relay will continue to get power and talk to the pcm, so there shouldn't be any issues.

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You know, before you start ripping stuff apart, check the manual for the car, just in case it's something you can program...

This is a longshot, but on my old '97 Grand Prix, you would pull a fuse, then hit a sequence of buttons or pedals to turn things on and off. I think one of the things you could turn off was the daytime lighting, and regaining control of the lights.

I have no idea what to look for in the index, but its worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by banstyle
    You know, before you start ripping stuff apart, check the manual for the car...
    Now why didn't I think of that?

FSM= Factory Service Manual

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.