1985 Deville Alternator wiring
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Electrical Technical Information Discussion, 1985 Deville Alternator wiring in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've got a 1985 Coupe Deville that wont charge a battery. I've replaced belts battery and alternator all to no ...
    Manticore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1985 Deville Alternator wiring

I've got a 1985 Coupe Deville that wont charge a battery. I've replaced belts battery and alternator all to no availle. I've recently noticed the the check alternator light never comes on during cranking. I read somewhere that the light is actually part of the circuit and acts as a resistor to turn on the diodes in the alternator or something. I can't find this light..... I've gotten most of the instrument cluster taken out with the exception of the speedometor (not digital) this is where the guage is but I don't see any bulbs.

So..... THe alternator has a three pronged L shaped plug. The wires are white, orange, and two brown. THe brown share a spot. The orange wire has constant battery voltage. The other two never change whether off, cranking, or running.
    As a test I connected the browns to battery and cranked the car then disconnected them. At this point the alternater seems to be working fine. Turned the car off and cranked again without doing this and no charge again...... unless the browns have voltage to start with.

Anyone have the wiring diagram that can tell me where these wires go or what they're for.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    The brown wire is the wire that connects to the dash light and beyond to the fuse. If the bulb is out, the alt. doesn't charge.

Manticore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks.... more tracing for me I guess.

GNOwner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    On my GN I had the same problem. The brown wire is the one on the GN, I am assuming that it would be the same for your Caddy.
    I had problems after replacing the bulb even getting it to charge, so I jury rigged it.
    I wired a relay from a known good +12v to the relay, and then to the brown wire on the alt, with the trigger for the relay from the fuse box IGN terminal.
    You might not want to do this, but I did it because I needed a stronger field for the alt. I boosted my system voltage to 15vdc for a hotter spark, so I need the field to be bigger.

Shane Smith
    87 Buick Grand National

bernicebradley53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille

Re: 1985 Deville Alternator wiring

I have a 1985 Cadillac Deville and have had to replace the alternator 3 times now. On my way to town the no charge light came on again. I stopped and the car wouldn't start. The starter has gone out now. Will this make the no charge light come on and cause the alternator to go bad? I bought a new battery even. but after I have drove the car about 50 miles it does this everytime, any ideas?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.