Removing car stereo and using it in my room???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Removing car stereo and using it in my room??? in General Discussion; Alright, so I have two roadmasters right now, and by this winter I think I am going to be parting ...
    pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

Removing car stereo and using it in my room???

Alright, so I have two roadmasters right now, and by this winter I think I am going to be parting one out.

So I was wondering if it is possible to hook the radio/cassette player up so that it will plug into a wall, and i can just use the speakers from my car to set up a little system in my room, because I really like the stock system that is in my car. The guy that had it before me was some old guy who never used/abused the radio, so this thing sounds amazing. Would I be able to come up with a way to plug my radio in?

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DILLIGAF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune

Re: Removing car stereo and using it in my room???

There are 120 to 12v adapters.Use the front seat as a couch.I think you'll need to put the carspeakers in boxes.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by rp64ctsv View Post
    There are 120 to 12v adapters.Use the front seat as a couch.I think you'll need to put the carspeakers in boxes.

Yep, thats how they set it up at pawn shops. Hmmm, sounds like a fun way of making a boombox.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I did this once in high school. The results were a little disappointing. Car stereos and speakers are designed to fill a small space with sound, not a large room.

It was still a fun project, sort of a Christmas break challenge. But that was 1980, so your equipment may be better than what I had to work with..

its the 4 speaker bose system out of my roadmaster. and its going into a tiny dorm room. so i think it should be fairly decent if i can set them up correctly so get a nice sound.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin88 View Post
    its the 4 speaker bose system out of my roadmaster. and its going into a tiny dorm room. so i think it should be fairly decent if i can set them up correctly so get a nice sound.
    It's certainly worth a try. I like to dabble and tinker with stuff like that whether it works out or not. In fact, I have an old system collecting dust that I may try out. You've inspired me!

rp64ctsv's idea about boxing the speakers will make the most difference. Get some stuffing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    It's certainly worth a try. I like to dabble and tinker with stuff like that whether it works out or not. In fact, I have an old system collecting dust that I may try out. You've inspired me!

rp64ctsv's idea about boxing the speakers will make the most difference. Get some stuffing too.
    I love tinkering with stuff. I'm always taking something apart, or trying to make something from random stuff, or trying to make something better. Maybe thats why I'm going into engineering. lol.

I thought about it the other day when I was sitting in my car, and I was thinking to myself how good the stereo sounded. I know it wont be the same in a room, but its a pretty small room I'm in, so it should be too terrible.

I was planning on building some boxes when i get home, but what is the stuffing for?

And also, what type of power supply would I have to use.

I'm no expert on this, but the stuffing keeps the sound from resonating inside the box. It forces the sound out of the speaker, and the end effect is comparable to having a bigger box. Trust me, it will sound a lot better. It's not expensive at all.

Experts say to only use the acoustic polyfill stuff, but for a project like this you can probably get away with using regular old pillow stuffing. Maybe even some old rags or towels. (I like $0 budget projects best)

Subs are a different world because you're moving air in and out of a vented box. But I'll bet those Bazooka tubes are probably packed pretty tight.

Your power supply could be anything between 12 to 13.2 volts DC. I think car stereos have regulators to handle fluctuations. Maybe you could find something on eBay? I never throw away transformers from old modems, etc.

94RM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 DeVille Concours

Sure its possible, a couple of years ago my wife wanted a radio in the
    bathroom to listen to while she put her makeup on.

I had an old jeep radio in the work room, so I made a 4inch addition to the
    bottom of a cabinet over the tolet that holds the radio and two speakers.

I have a box full of various charger type power supplys and wired a 12 volt
    1 amp supply to it and it works great.

An old computer power supply will probably work for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.