Sal v. Cadillac? - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Sal v. Cadillac? in General Discussion; I've never been much a Jaguar fan but the new XK is pretty sweet....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Sal v. Cadillac?

I've never been much a Jaguar fan but the new XK is pretty sweet.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Seems like $136k is a lot of money for a car till you realize the XLR-V is $100k. I think a $36k premium for an SL600 is justified over the XLR-V. Besides the obvious power and quality difference, the SL600 is just plain sexier.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I still think the first AMG SL55 was the best looking SL ever!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I dunno, I think the XLR-V is way more of a stylish head-turner. But the 'world class' award goes to the tried and true SL. During MB's quality decline, its at least one great car they didnt screw up.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I dunno, I think the XLR-V is way more of a stylish head-turner. But the 'world class' award goes to the tried and true SL. During MB's quality decline, its at least one great car they didnt screw up.
    Around here the XLR's are abundant, they dont really stick out. The SL's are abundant as well but they STILL stick out. I'd buy a 5 year old example of either when they depreciate to almost nothing.

Jed95fwb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe De Ville

I have driven the Lexus LS 430. The Lexus is a very nice driving car. It is extremely smooth, polished and you can barely hear the engine. The only problem with it is that it is a bland, uninspired car to look at. It costs upwards of $60K and it has no style. Like all Toyota products, thay take a dull car and refine it until it's a high quality, flawlessly made...dull car. When the HT-4100 in my great uncle's 84 Eldorado finally gave up after 10 years at an extremely high mileage of 29,000, he bought the 430 to replace it. That Eldo was slow (0-60 took all day), but it had a presence that the cookie cutter Lexus will never have. Inside, it felt like you were at a fine men's club. Red button tufted leather, thick Tangier carpeting and an abundance of wood and metalwork that looks better to me than that high gloss stuff in the somber Lexus. And furthermore, when you pulled up in the Eldorado, people knew it was a Cadillac. It was the car that inspired me when i was a kid to own a Cadillac someday. It was ultimately classy in a Vegas sort of way. Do you think that kids get excited about the LS 430 in the same kind of visceral way?

Lately. Cadillac HAS been going after Lexus and it shows. IMO, the DTS is an expensive, not-as-good Lexus copy. Cadillac designers should be happy. They stripped every inch of uniqueness out of the car, save for a Cadillac grille and taillights that were reinstated for 06. What is a Cadillac without the Chrome, the pillow-top interior and acres of wretched excess in and out? Cadillac even made the Wreath and Crest generic looking, sort of a CVS-brand Cadillac. And right as the whole retro craze kicked in, Cadillac committed the ultimate sin, They got rid of the beloved tail fins. Where can i go for them now??? and Most importantly, when will they come back??

What I wish for is a Cadillac with all of the trimmings AND all of the quality. A cross between a boring, well made LS 430 and an exciting, poorly made 84 Eldorado. I want something that proudly proclaims it's an American, isn't afraid to offend some people and out classes those highly polished camrys of the world.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

You'd be surprised at how many people actually think the Lexus LS430 is a "hot" car.. But you're right, it doesn't even begin to touch the surface of the old, boxy Eldorado, design-wise or presence-wise.. The 1980 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz is what made me a Cadillac enthusiast.. My Father owned one when I was a kid and I'll never forget how people looked at the car (and my Father).. At that time, cars meant nothing to me - I was 13 years old - but it certainly left an impression...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Jed95fwb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood Brougham, 76 Coupe De Ville

It just begs the question as to how many of us were turned on to Cadillacs from the cars owned by our cool older relatives.

It seems like some kind of a testament that these 80's Cadillacs are already being collected, even those with "questionable" engines, like the 8-6-4 and the 4100. I wonder if cars like the "hot" Lexus LS 430 will ever be collectible? Imagine someone doing a restoration on one of those, with the insulation and connectors all brittle on miles of wiring. On our Caddies, we have to replace the filler panels, but most of the Lexus is made of that soft, squishy plastic.

We should get an 80's Biarritz and devise a way to sneak it into Rick Wagoner's office, like the horse in Animal House. Maybe he will see how great GM used to be if he was forced to look at it every day.

Maybe we just have to wait for the baby boomers to retire and all of us children of the 80's will put cool Cadillacs back into production.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I'd love a retro 1979-1985 Cadillac Eldorado! And I seriously doubt a Lexus LS430 will ever be a collectible.. At least not anything like the Eldorados...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    The XLR-V is 100k because its a freaking awesome deal compared to the SL600.

GM's best years were when divisions did -not- operate as a team, and competed internally and created some brilliant products with great designs.
    I agree...go out and price a SIMILIARLY OPTIONED SL 55 AMG and the XLR-V. I priced the SL 55 with all the options that are standard on the XLR-V and guess what? The Mercedes was priced aroudn 135,000. That 100k looks like hell of a deal now huh? Plus its faster or at least just as fast and handles a bit better also.

Oh and down here...the SL is very played out. Everyone and there mom wants one. Ive always been the guy who kinda roots for the underdog. If I wasnt, I would be driving a BMW 330 just like everyone else and not a Cadillac CTS.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    I'm just using Cadillac's top dog compared to Lexus' top dog and saying that with the XLR-V costing $100k what do you get? With the LS costing damn near half as much what do you get? You get a shit load more options and gadgets as well as much nicer interior. Yeah you don't get the performance but with the XLR-V what else do you get compared to the XLR? You get a hi-po engine. So thats worth $30k? And I agree with you about the blown Northstar's. Never been a fan of them and never will be a fan of them. Like you said I'll take a Vette Vert' and have much more fun since I atleast can get a stick shift with it
    Well for one...the XLR is hell of a lot cooler and probably way more fun to drive than an LS.

I mean, the bMW 750, the Mercedes S550, the Jaguar XJ and the Audi A8 ALL look way more stylish and more fun than an LS. The LS is a type of car you drive or ride in, and when you get out, it leaves that empty feeling. Its just a 'meh' type of car. It dosnt excite the soul whatsoever.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.