Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Shelby GT500 ride around Road America *VID*

707 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Blackout 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I was thinking that with 500hp, the CTS-V would get smoked by it. But with the added weight and most of it to the front end, it has a lousy weight distribution. C&D was getting much better times out of the stock Corvette at Grattan than they were with the GT500. So it seems as though the V would hang.

Hooray for me!

#3 ·
I also read that the stock Vette was getting better times. If I were in the market for a sports car I believe it would be the Vette over the Shelby Mustang for that and other reasons.

I do love that Mustang SC whine.....sweet. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Don't bet to heavily on the magazine times. Just like the 03/04 Cobra's were only good for low 13's according to the mag's but yet people have hit mid 12's in stock trim and thats with a IRS. With this thing now having a solid rear axle it should be able to launch better. And Motortrend just did a 3 way comparison with the GTO, SRT-8 Charger, and the GT500 and the GT500 beat them in all catagories pretty well and the G500 did the slalom at like 69.xx mph

#6 ·
Blackout said:
Don't bet to heavily on the magazine times. Just like the 03/04 Cobra's were only good for low 13's according to the mag's but yet people have hit mid 12's in stock trim and thats with a IRS. With this thing now having a solid rear axle it should be able to launch better. And Motortrend just did a 3 way comparison with the GTO, SRT-8 Charger, and the GT500 and the GT500 beat them in all catagories pretty well and the G500 did the slalom at like 69.xx mph
Yes, but Grattan is a road course. And my V is obviously a bitch to launch. That's not why I bought it. And no matter what the 1/4 mile times are, it still has too much weight(within a few pounds of the V:eek: ) and is way too front heavy. And the GT500's slalom speed was wayyy off the Vette's.

#7 ·
CIWS said:
Wait, I'm confused. Do I pay attention to the magazines or not ? ;)
I pay attention to only 2 things when they test cars, trap speeds and slalom's because those are the only two that actually give you some idea as to what they can do. 0-60 and 1/4 times are usually way off of what the car can do in the real world. yes the thing is a pig and yes it will not be the best auto crosser but put that pig on a diet and I'm sure she could handle her own pretty good. But the GT500 did pretty good in the One lap of America this year. It placed 28th overall and 1st place in its class even though there were only the GT500, GTO, and the Daytona Factory Five in its class. SVT told the drivers of the GT500 that they can't beat on the car and it still placed that well. I know it will not be on the league of Vette's but I think it will hold its own fairly well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.