RWD Impala? GM's thinking about it
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, RWD Impala? GM's thinking about it in General Discussion; Published June 23, 2006 Chrysler got it right. General Motors didn't. Ditto Ford. JIM MATEGA, CHICAGO TRIBUNE NEWS - - ...
    Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

RWD Impala? GM's thinking about it

Published June 23, 2006

Chrysler got it right.

General Motors didn't.

Ditto Ford.
    JIM MATEGA, CHICAGO TRIBUNE NEWS - - So says John Wolkonwicz, senior analyst for Global Insight, an automotive research and consulting firm.

"The domestics chased the wrong customer the last 25 years--white-collar Toyota, Honda and Nissan intenders rather than blue-collar NASCAR families.

"It's socially unacceptable for Camry intenders to drive a domestic," he said. "The blue-collar buyer is the one who wants a Ford, Chevy or Dodge."

Wolkonwicz points out that GM and Ford lack a midsize, high-performance, rear-wheel-drive sedan NASCAR followers cherish. Chrysler has the 300C and Dodge Charger, and soon may have the Dodge Challenger.

He said there are rumblings that Chevy is going to enter the market with a high-performance Impala--in rear-wheel drive, of course.

Wolkonwicz and the NASCAR crowd may be in for a treat: Chevy is considering just such an Impala.

"We're looking at a RWD Impala, but it would be a few years out," said Ed Peper, general manager of Chevrolet. He stopped in town this week to give the Midwest Automotive Media Association a peek at what the automaker has coming for 2007.

"There definitely is a RWD performance-car market out there. Our rivals offer only front-wheel-drive midsize sedans, so if we can offer both FWD [Malibu] and RWD [Impala], that would be an attractive alternative for consumers," he said. Hmm, sounds like Wolkonwicz was right on about whom Chevy considers its competition.

Chevy also is looking at a RWD coupe: a production version of the concept Camaro from this year's auto-show circuit.

Peper said GM will decide by the end of September whether Camaro gets a go-ahead. But a decision on a RWD Impala doesn't hinge on that, he said.

As for Chevy's FWD sedan, the next-generation Malibu comes out for the 2008 model year derived from the extended-length Malibu Maxx, which would make it about 2 inches longer than Impala.

Peper said no decision has been made on whether to continue to offer Malibu and Maxx. Sources say rather than keep Maxx, Chevy might get a crossover.

Two sedans of similar size is another reason that one with FWD and one with RWD make sense.

Another Chevy change may be in the works. GM will introduce three midsize, all-wheel-drive crossovers: the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia this fall and the Buick Enclave early next year.

GM developed the crossovers in anticipation that high gas prices will cool demand for midsize AWD sport-utility vehicles.

"It looks like Chevy will get a [crossover] as well that will replace the midsize TrailBlazer SUV in its lineup," Wolkonwicz said, which hints Acadia could replace the Envoy at GMC.

Chevy already has dropped the extended-length TrailBlazer.

A crossover was never in GM's plans, and Peper refused to talk about it replacing the regular-length TrailBlazer or Chevy Uplander mini-van, both of which are experiencing soft sales.

"There's room for a TrailBlazer-size vehicle. Midsize utes and mini-vans heat up and cool down, but we need an entry in that size," Peper said. He did admit, however, that the crossover could cover both TrailBlazer and Uplander.

As for Ford, "It needs to evaluate the [crossover] in its cycle plans as well. There are reports it will add the Fairlane [crossover] derived from the Ford Five Hundred sedan, though some reports have it derived from the Ford Fusion sedan, which would be too small," Wolkonwicz said.

GM's coy and Ford's mum, so it will take a while to sort this all out.

Stay tuned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Re: RWD Impala? GM's thinking about it

so... what i gathered from that article is you have to be a nascar fan to enjoy rwd Chevrolet Impala's... well first off i will say Good find, Blackout! second wtf? i want a rwd Impala! i dont like nascar... never have and never will. why? just boring, dont care for it. why would i want a rwd Impala? cause i like rwd and i dont like fwd. i would juice the hell out of a new Impala. those are two of the many reasons i like rwd Impalas. Chevrolet went wrong when they went fwd on them... that wasnt right.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Great news!!

93LowLow, the "Nascar" thing is a market segment made up by marketing professionals.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Hell I'm lost. I wasn't aware the new impalas were FWD.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

While they're returning the Impala to RWD, tell those stylists to put six round taillights on it (not ridiculously oversized like the 00-04 Impala) the way God intended.

Spock is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I was under the impression that the new Impalas were RWD as well, until we went to a car show and the guy tried to sell us a lease. I told him, well its hard to turn down being a v8 RWD, he corrected me...I looked underneath the car...*spits cabbage* Whaaaaat?!
    I'll stick to my 78 Impala thank you!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

gdwriter is right on! If the new RWD Impala doesn't have 6 tailights, it's not an Impala. Get it right GM, get it right! You can do it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Now step two.... RWD Brougham!!!

1.Take the Impala's chassis
    2. stretch the wheelbase about 5-6 inches.
    3. Add large, torquey DOHC V8
    4. Make 5 seater leather lined interior, very plush and elegant
    and voila, you have a world champion!

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

I dunno, I don't like Chevy's new styling.... its really not doing anything for me....

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    I dunno, I don't like Chevy's new styling.... its really not doing anything for me....
    Same here. Its too bland and doesn't look intimitating/sporty at all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.