My police ride along experience
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, My police ride along experience in General Discussion; I recently went for a ride-along with my cousin who is an officer near Sacramento. It was a morning shift. ...
    itsabughunt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My police ride along experience

I recently went for a ride-along with my cousin who is an officer near Sacramento. It was a morning shift. I was asking him a lot of questions about how police procedures work and how they operate. He said that they do not have an actual quota for how many tickets they should issue, but its "recommended" that they bring in about six or so per month. That really isn't that many per officer. He also said that handing out tickets is not of much interest to him or the other officers, but that they do it because they are expected to.

Mostly they use the ticketable offenses as an excuse to pull over and scrutinize people who look suspicious or who are driving cars known to be stolen often. They call this "hunting" and they really enjoy it. Once the people are pulled over they can see if anybody within the car has any warrants or they'll try to search the car for illegal stuff. Apparantly writing the tickets and maybe having to show up to court is a hassle from their perspective so they often dont even issue tickets for violations if they dont find anything "interesting" about the car or its occupants AND if the occupants aren't mouthing off. They go hunting primarily at night for two reasons: 1. The bad guys and drunks tend to come out more at night and 2. They finally have time to do this. I had no idea how many stupid BS calls they have to respond to throughout morning and the first half of swing shift. During the daylight hours it is call after call of: false alarms at residences, domestic disputes, neighbors mad at each other and what not. In ten hours during the morning shift we had time to run only about six license plates and of those six we didn't pull over a single one. Oh yeah, also at night it is WAY easier for cops to spot minor infractions about cars relating to burned out lights. So many people have one license plate light burned out and never knew it.

Morals of the story if you dont want to be pulled over and ticketed:
    1. Don't drive a car that sticks out and don't be conspicuous yourself. It shouldn't be on the list of most stolen vehicles. If it looks heavily modded you may be targeted. Every single light, tags and other detail should be completely working and legal. If you look like a "young punk" (from the cops point of view) you are more likely to be pulled over. I didnt try to pin him down on the topic of "profiling" but I think its safe to say that they do a lot of that. Being black and male probably does make you more likely to be scrutinized.
    2. Driving around at night, particularly late at night or wee hours of the morning greatly increases your chances of being scrutinized.
    3. If the registered owner of the car has warrants or a concealed carry permit the officer will almost certainly know it from his computer terminal. I've heard that some places they also know if the registered owner of the car has had DUIs or other major arrest record. I mean they know this immediately and without having to request more information. Mind you that this is referring to the registered owner of the car and NOT who is actually driving the car at the moment. Unless the gender or some other detail is glaringly off they wont know that you aren't him. This could either help or hurt your chances of being pulled over depending on who you are compared to the registered car owner.
    4. Being rude or mouthing off to the officer is a recipe for trouble. It is NOT WORTH IT. They have a lot of discretion as to what offence(s) to ticket you for and whether to write you one at all. I cannot even imagine a police officer anywhere who would respond in a favorable manner to rudeness. They wont feel intimidated or impressed and are most likely to become annoyed and take it out on you. Dont do it. If you cant talk rationally and in a civil tone its best to just answer direct questions and keep your mouth shut otherwise. Save your breath for when you can calmly explain your side of it to the judge if it comes to that.

Mind you these tips are aside from the really obvious things like not driving drunk, speeding or pulling illegal U-turns, etc. I'd definitely be interested in hearing any input on this subject from police officers or others who know about this sort of thing. I'm sure policies vary within the law enforcement community around the country.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: My police ride along experience

Where are you at near Sacramento!?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder
    Where are you at near Sacramento!?
    I dont live there, I was just in the area for a family reunion.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

At least you rode in front. I remember being in back. Cramped as hell when you have cuffs on your wrists, and the hard plastic seats are not comfy.

SSTUD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 red STS

they run your plates on the LEAPS screne that ties into the RMV and call the dispatch center to run a BOP (board of probation) check thats how they get you. You cannot tell if a person has warrants just from his or her lisence plate unless the RMV flags your reg as inactive etc that would give the officer probable cause to stop your vehicle.

Rey Rey 650 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by itsabughunt
    Morals of the story if you dont want to be pulled over and ticketed:
    1. Don't drive a car that sticks out and don't be conspicuous yourself. It shouldn't be on the list of most stolen vehicles. If it looks heavily modded you may be targeted. Every single light, tags and other detail should be completely working and legal. If you look like a "young punk" (from the cops point of view) you are more likely to be pulled over. I didnt try to pin him down on the topic of "profiling" but I think its safe to say that they do a lot of that. Being black and male probably does make you more likely to be scrutinized.
    2. Driving around at night, particularly late at night or wee hours of the morning greatly increases your chances of being scrutinized.
    3. If the registered owner of the car has warrants or a concealed carry permit the officer will almost certainly know it from his computer terminal. I've heard that some places they also know if the registered owner of the car has had DUIs or other major arrest record. I mean they know this immediately and without having to request more information. Mind you that this is referring to the registered owner of the car and NOT who is actually driving the car at the moment. Unless the gender or some other detail is glaringly off they wont know that you aren't him. This could either help or hurt your chances of being pulled over depending on who you are compared to the registered car owner.
    4. Being rude or mouthing off to the officer is a recipe for trouble. It is NOT WORTH IT. They have a lot of discretion as to what offence(s) to ticket you for and whether to write you one at all. I cannot even imagine a police officer anywhere who would respond in a favorable manner to rudeness. They wont feel intimidated or impressed and are most likely to become annoyed and take it out on you. Dont do it. If you cant talk rationally and in a civil tone its best to just answer direct questions and keep your mouth shut otherwise. Save your breath for when you can calmly explain your side of it to the judge if it comes to that.
    Damn, I'm young and Mexican.... Looks like im shit out of luck

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    At least you rode in front. I remember being in back. Cramped as hell when you have cuffs on your wrists, and the hard plastic seats are not comfy.
    Care to explain?
    ~Steve

DILLIGAF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune

I'm not flaming your story-butttttt it could use some spicing up.Maybe edit in some kicking the crap out of somebody,or planting drugs on a nun,how about a hummer from a crack whore for a dollar.Your story has so much potential.

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

I went on a ride along with my cousin about 2 years ago. He used to be a NYC cop, now he's a firefighter. Anyway he worked Housing in Brooklyn, Bushwick to be exact. I went with him on a four to midnight shift in June. The interesting stuff was a fire in one of the projects, getting in a chase with a kid on a mini bike, sneaking up on crackheads on the project rooftops, mediating a fight between a bunch of hysterical teenage girls, getting cups of pudding thrown at us from a roof top, meeting the neighborhood hooker Cinnamon and the water balloon fight in the station house. Yes, this all happened in one tour. Only in Brooklyn. God that was fun night, I can't wait to do it for real.

DILLIGAF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeDevilleRob
    I went on a ride along with my cousin about 2 years ago. He used to be a NYC cop, now he's a firefighter. Anyway he worked Housing in Brooklyn, Bushwick to be exact. I went with him on a four to midnight shift in June. The interesting stuff was a fire in one of the projects, getting in a chase with a kid on a mini bike, sneaking up on crackheads on the project rooftops, mediating a fight between a bunch of hysterical teenage girls, getting cups of pudding thrown at us from a roof top, meeting the neighborhood hooker Cinnamon and the water balloon fight in the station house. Yes, this all happened in one tour. Only in Brooklyn. God that was fun night, I can't wait to do it for real.
    Nice work,thank you

OffThaHorseCEO is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD, 1989 Cadillac Allanté: Pearl White

Quote Originally Posted by CoupeDevilleRob
    so youre gonna be 5 - 0 huh?

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

so lets just say, hypothetically of course , one was to buy a 97 cadillac and fail to register for a few months cuz he/she couldnt afford registration/ins./plates/etc...instead, the driver took the plates off a siblings camry to "temporarily" place on his deville. in the meantime, the glovebox of the caddy contains a bill of sale, signed but missing a date. now lets say again, hypothetically this individual gets pulled over several months later halloween night at 1030pm, and manages to scribble a date on the bill of sale just a few days before the present date.

what are the odds this driver would get off with nothing?

i heard, whoever he may be (i dont know him of course ) got off scott-free. he must be one smooth talking 21 year old...errr....i mean, anonymous guy

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by slk230mb
    Care to explain?
    Evil ex-girlfriend (we're friends now) and her new boyfriend accused me of hit and run. Cops came and questioned me the next day, saw scratches on my front bumper, cuffed me, and said I was under arrest. They towed my Mercedes away.

I sat in the back of that f***ing cop car forever with my wrists and arms in agony, watching my Mercedes being towed with the rear wheels on the ground (IDIOTS! ITS RWD!). They finally decided there wasnt enough evidence and released me.

He used some damage on the back of his car to accuse me. Turns out the damage was from a previous accident months that he didnt report, because the girl that hit him was cute (what a pus*y). Friend of mine was in his car with him when that happened and threatened to testify against and take him down if he took any further legal action against me.

I'm not a violent man, but if I ever saw him again, I'd make his heart stop beating. Lucky for him I moved 2000 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    Evil ex-girlfriend (we're friends now) and her new boyfriend accused me of hit and run. Cops came and questioned me the next day, saw scratches on my front bumper, cuffed me, and said I was under arrest. They towed my Mercedes away.

I sat in the back of that f***ing cop car forever with my wrists and arms in agony, watching my Mercedes being towed with the rear wheels on the ground (IDIOTS! ITS RWD!). They finally decided there wasnt enough evidence and released me.

He used some damage on the back of his car to accuse me. Turns out the damage was from a previous accident months that he didnt report, because the girl that hit him was cute (what a pus*y). Friend of mine was in his car with him when that happened and threatened to testify against and take him down if he took any further legal action against me.

I'm not a violent man, but if I ever saw him again, I'd make his heart stop beating. Lucky for him I moved 2000 miles away.
    And now you are "friends" with her. I dont get it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.