For Rolex: Kahr review.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, For Rolex: Kahr review. in General Discussion; In a few short words, I love it! Accurate, small, easy to shoot, points great, awesome trigger, good grips, flawless ...
    Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

For Rolex: Kahr review.

In a few short words, I love it! Accurate, small, easy to shoot, points great, awesome trigger, good grips, flawless function...

Kahr K40 Elite 03

I've been carrying it for about three months now and I love it. The particular model I picked up has smoothed edges for easier draw and more comfort. It's far more comfortable than my Sig 226. I did have to do a little bit of filing on the front sight to smooth out the sharp corner that was against my body, but the rest of the gun is perfect for carry. It's a bit heavier than I expected, but is a full stainless frame. The poly version is quite a bit lighter with the same dimensions and capacity. I opted for the stainless because of the weight, actually, as the poly one will beat you up after a long shooting session, much like Rolex's Glocks. I fire a LOT of ammo when I go, so I wanted something I could carry and still put a couple of hundred through once or twice a week without being beat up. It fits in the pocket of a loose fitting pair of jeans or shorts, although it is just barely large enough to show an outline to those who know what to look for. If you wanted to go smaller, the MK9, MK40 would be perfect guns, as they are essentially the same but about 2/3 the size.

It holds 6+1 of .40S&W. There are a variety of sizes, styles and calibers available, and I wanted something different than a 9mm just because I did. The .45 had not been out long enough for me to find one that I liked for a reasonable price, so I went with the .40, which is great.

Recoil is surprisingly light for a subcompact .40. Felt recoil seems to be only slightly more than my Sig 226 in 9mm, and I can fire two hundred rounds through the Kahr and still pull off accurate groups at the end of the session because I'm not sore or feeling too much fatigue yet. When I go, I usually warm up with my Ruger MkII, firing a hundred or so rounds through it, then move on to the 9mm, firing until I want to change, then some .357, 38 Special, 38 S&W and .40, switching every few magazines just for variety. If I'm at the outdoor range, I'll pop off a few cylinders from the blackpowder 1858 Remington, just to impress the hell out of whoever else is out there.

The gun feels great in your hand. It points where you look and rapid fire without sights is surprisingly easy to keep on target. Double taps were just as easy as with my Sig 226 in 9mm, and using slow fire I was producing groups of about an two inches, two handed grip, at 7 yards. One of my earlier groups surprised the HELL out of me, as every round was in the same damned spot. Seven rounds, at 10 yards, and I couldn't have passed a 30 carbine casing sideways through the hole. Very accurate gun for a 3.5" barrel. Hell, very accurate gun for any handgun without modifications.

Longer ranges of fifty or so yards, I wasn't really firing at a target, but at debris on the range. Bracing it against the bedrails on the truck, I could hit 1/2 gallon milk jugs better than half of the time. Great shooting gun, I'll say it again!

Trigger pull is awesome. Smooth, consistent and just heavy enough to be comfortable with keeping the thing in a pocket. (If I'm carrying unholstered and therefore with an unprotected trigger, I do NOT keep it hot. Only when the trigger is protected by leather is there a round in the chamber) The trigger doesn't catch or bind or grab and the stainless trigger itself has the perfect curve to fit just about anyones hand.

Grips are soft rubber, thin and comfortable. Single stack magazine, so its nice and narrow. Reversible thumb mag release that, so far, has been flawless.

Dissasembly is easy and requires no tools. Just pull the slide back about halfway and knock out the slide catch with something that won't scratch the stainless, and it comes right apart.

Can't really think of much bad to say about it. I've had a thousand or so rounds through it and have had no problems to speak of. I can empty a full magazine in no time, as fast as I can pull the trigger, with el cheapo ammo and have no jams yet. The one and only thing I'm not fond of is that when it arrived there were traces of rust on the frame. Shouldn't happen on a stainless gun, I know, but it did. It came to me totally dry and VERY well cleaned, but non-lubricated. I bought it lightly used. The backstrap, where the webbing of your hand between the thumb and finger, and just above the trigger guard had little spots of surface rust. I cleaned the hell out of it and applied Tetra Gun heavy penetrating lube, massaging it into the metal a couple of times and its been fine since then, no more has showed up.

Overall, I'm exceptionally happy with this offering from Kahr! I sometimes wish I had gotten the poly framed pistol, or the MK40, which is the 2/3 size stainless .40, but then every time I go to the range, I'm glad that this ones got a little bit of heft to it. When I test fired the MP9 (super small 9mm) and the P40 (poly .40), after a box of ammo I wanted to change guns. This one I can shoot a full session.

Accurate, small, reliable, pretty and getting easier and easier to find. I like it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: For Rolex: Kahr review.

Forgot to add a picture...

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: For Rolex: Kahr review.

I was gonna jump you about not posting a pic. Excellent review! You should have your own column in shooters magazine (and have companies send you free firearms to review).

The stainless makes for a handsome pistol, but heavy for concealed carry. Just tighten up your belt a little and I'm sure you'll be able to keep your pants up. I'll bet you the rust on the SS was from the previous owner wearing it against his/her bare skin. The salt in sweat will tarnish a SS gun, and even create some surface rust.

A+ review. You were only getting an A but the included pic earned you the +

ETA: clean off your desk and put the Arrid Extra Dry away in the bathroom!
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.