Looked at a '77 Town Car today!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looked at a '77 Town Car today! in General Discussion; So me and my buddies were out looking for a new Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler for my friend Evan on tuesday. We ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Looked at a '77 Town Car today!

So me and my buddies were out looking for a new Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler for my friend Evan on tuesday. We get to this dealer and there's a '77 Town Car parked behind the '99 Wrangler Sahara that he wanted to look at, but this dealer is closing, so I come back today and take a look at it.

-Exterior-
    This thing is huge! Too much car for me perhaps? I'm starting to think so. The hood is longer than I am tall (66"), plus you have the header panel between the grille and hood, AND the bumper which is another 8" deep!
    This stands at 233" long, which is 25" longer than my '92, and 12 inches longer than the Broughams I love, but it feels much much bigger than the 12" would lead you to believe. It's a great looking car though, very nice and important looking. With one of the best looking grilles ever IMO. It's very intimidating looking if you ask me, especially because it was Navy Blue, with a matching vinyl top.

-Interior-
    The Interior was unlike anything I have seen before. These '70's cars are something new I tell ya. For instance, in the middle of the dash, theres a huge pull out ashtray! Who needs that much ashtray?? Not I! And right above this huge ashtray is a tiny little AM/FM radio. The seats were something new too. Very very very cushy, no support anywhere, except in the upper back! And theres only 4 adjustments: front-back movement, and front/rear tilt. No Height or recline adjustment like new cars. The seats definetly werent as comfortable as newer Cadillac/Lincoln seats Also, the dash had the full instrumentation I like (minus the tach), and lots of faux wood trim! The '70s really were a time for sheer excess I tell ya! Wow! Also, it didn't feel any more roomy than my '92, but that's really saying something! But I did think it was really cool to sit in the backseat and actually sit behind the opera windows. And the trunk was huuuuuge! Very deep!

-Engine-
    I think 1977 was the first year they had the 400 standard, but this one had the 460! And after a quick read thru the owners manual, I got it started. (Wasn't too sure on how many times to pump the gas)
    It's very very smooth at idle, much smoother than my 4.9. And very very quiet. Knowing me, I HAD to stab the gas to hear 7.5L of detroit iron, and I did. It's not loud or anything, but you can almost feel the silent power, even in park. And under the hood, you would not believe it's a 7.5L! There's so much room to work in there, spark plugs would take about 10 minutes, 20 if you're gonna do wires too. Everything looks so easy to service, for example, the oil filter is right next to the air filter (atleast I think that's what it was)

I didn't get to drive it today, but the owner of the dealer welcomed me back next week to take 'er out for a drive, because he would move it off the enclosed display area by then.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Re: Looked at a '77 Town Car today!

Buy it...........if you want to ensure that you never get laid. Ashame, all that room and you will never get a girl to go in it!

Eric Kahn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham

Wait till you drive it, that was the era of splended isolation, you aim those cars as there is no road feel or feedback of any kind, the best kind of luxury car, to get that kind of ride takes shear wieght, something todays cars do not have
    I would be interested if I had not bought my 95 this week

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado Collectors Series and 1994 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer
    Buy it...........if you want to ensure that you never get laid. Ashame, all that room and you will never get a girl to go in it!
    Haha, that is why when I was in high school... I drove a CADILLAC! 1970 Coupe Deville Convertible to be exact..

All kidding aside, those were nice cars of that era, despite being Lincolns.

These are some of the most ostentatious, gargantuan, intimidating and baroque luxury cars ever made. Cadillacs of that era couldn't come close, especially in the baroqueness category. Especially with that waterfall grille and hidden headlamps, it's very intimidating looking!

When it was running, i was turning the wheel a bit, and I could tell there that there was noooo feedback at all. Which is why I'm a little scared to drive this thing, you have no idea what's going on below you! It'll be neat though, I've never driven one of these before, and I've always wanted to.

Anywho, the dealer knows im not in the market right now, but since I love these cars so much, he said it's cool if I come down and drive it next week.

I have to wonder, with a detuned 460 and 4800 lbs of dry weight, how quick will it be?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

It's all the right angles Ford used in the 70s that make these cars look so huge, although they're no bigger than the 1976 Cadillacs. But, the Caddys had some curves and more brightwork to break up the body, so they look trimmer. I remember my uncle's 75 Lincoln. You didn't park that thing so much as moor it.

Amazing how little room there is inside for such a big exterior. Now you know why the 77 Caddys were such a revelation: smaller, lighter, more fuel-efficient (relatively speaking), but actually more usable interior room (except for width). Still, if you like it and have the docking space, you might consider it, if only as a curiosity.

Craig

The dealer threw out an interesting idea on how to pay for it:

Pay him a bit of money every month until the car is paid off, when the car is paid off, you recieve title and keys.

I like the plan. It's like I'm financing the car without having to keep it at my house.

Plus, when I do get one of these '70s Lincolns I so desire , it will NOT be a daily driver. Nooooo sir! I don't wanna have to deal with that much car in traffic, plus I'd probably average 9-10 MPG. It'll be a car only for those nice summer evenings where it's like 70-80* and sunny out.

SpeedyArizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited

Chad- I honestly think you are too sensible for your age! I had no sense when I was in my teens, hell I still don't! I just don't understand how a Town Car can appeal to someone your age. If all of our nation's teens were like you, our nation wouldn't be worried about the next generation.

I agree with Destroyer, you aren't going to get a nice young lady in the back of a Town Car even if the backseat is huge. You know what they say, "If the car is a rockin'....the engine is backfiring".

You need to unleash your wild side, get something sporty that you'll get some with.

I don't want a Corvette. As nice as they are, there everyone's dream. I don't want something that everyone else wants. If I did, I would have bought a Camaro or something. You know, your typical dumbass cocky teenager go-fast car. Instead, I bought a car that I would like, something that fit me. Something that gets respect in a different way. So what if teenagers don't love it the most! Most high school kids think Mitsubishi Eclipses are the shit! God, think if every high schooler was driving one of those! I'd hate to go out driving, having all those cocky kids in their unreliable, but quick cars. "Hey wanna race?! Oh shit, my oil pan came off...again! Damn DSM!!"

Basically, I love luxury cars more than I do expensive sports cars. End of Rant.

SpeedyArizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited

I don't want a Corvette. As nice as they are, there everyone's dream. I don't want something that everyone else wants. If I did, I would have bought a Camaro or something. You know, your typical dumbass cocky teenager go-fast car. Instead, I bought a car that I would like, something that fit me. Something that gets respect in a different way. So what if teenagers don't love it the most! Most high school kids think Mitsubishi Eclipses are the shit! God, think if every high schooler was driving one of those! I'd hate to go out driving, having all those cocky kids in their unreliable, but quick cars. "Hey wanna race?! Oh shit, my oil pan came off...again! Damn DSM!!"
    Well at least you unleashed a bit of your wild side!

I mean sure I'd love to get a BMW sometime. Really, I would. But It's just not that affordable/ sensible if I wanna have multiple cars. Same goes with a Mercedes too. Plus, you could get lots of chicks with one of them.

1977 Town Car. 73,000 miles, one owner, $3000

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Very classy! BTW, what in the name of Henry Leland happend to your passenger-side front fender?

Craig

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

I like that car.... alot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.