Our new Hybrid has stranded my parents - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Our new Hybrid has stranded my parents in General Discussion; I want a car that runs on the corpses of cute endangered animals....
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Our new Hybrid has stranded my parents

I want a car that runs on the corpses of cute endangered animals.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I drove a Proto GM hybrid truck back in 2003 and was impressed at the seamlessness of the engine/electric operation. IT did well. I did not take it on the highway, just some city driving. But it really didn't even give a clue that you were drivign a brid except for the engine dying on when the brake was applied. Power (5.3L) was excellent, and manners were excellent. It did not have DOD yet.

What did they do to it to mess it up?

I have always wanted to hybrid my 91 Deville (sold now) and make it RWD electric and FWD engine. And use the electric to start me up and once running up to speed, kill the electric. And then work on some regen braking off of the electric system, and try to do what GM does and kill the gas engine on decel (ultimate DFCO!) but need more than the engine starter to get it started again. GM uses the torque converter as a motor/generator/starter on the new truck hybrids. It starts FAST! That would be the harder part.

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser
    Yeah, those are not exactly the paradigm of automotive excellence ("those" referring to both the Malibu and the sister G6).

On the other hand, who's great idea was it to get a Hybrid GM truck? They're very much like driving some kind of an unfinished prototype (herky jerky, rough, etc.), the gas mileage isn't improved and sometimes is worse, and the only real improvement is the electrical outlet and extra juice you can get with it turned off...and just being able to say you "have a Hybrid truck".

For someone used to the buggier side of the GM car line, I couldn't fathom buying one of those oddball trucks...

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Well, nothing really changed since that prototype you had, but in more real-world situations and under a lot more conditions than I'm sure you could try it out in (especially after being fully broken in, it being freezing or hot out, etc.), the reviews have been less glowing. The one I distinctly remember is MT's long-term test of one where their gas mileage ended up being a bit worse than your typical Silverado, and after a while of driving it, every editor complained of random jerkiness and roughness in the transistion between modes--and it just being more annoying to drive than anything else.

As far as GM getting the Hybrid system "right", they already have (look for the new Saturn VUE Hybrid in a couple months, and a lot more models with the same system after that)--it's just that the Silverado/Sierra models aren't "full" Hybrids (i.e. with the ability to accelerate purely on electric power and then kick in the gas, or a combination of both, as needed), and WERE aimed largely to construction uses because of the extra power supplies and plug(s). Cutting the gas engine off at stops was just an added little thing to at least try and bump up mpg's a tad.

So, they have the systems right and ready (and everyone will be seeing that soon), but the Silverado/Sierra models were just kind of the first saleable experiment of sorts.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Well My parents have just left Indy , it took 2 GM engineers and a insider (a reltive) at the plant the produces the Hybrids (Ft Wayne) to get it done .

The part that failed was made in mexico , apprently this has been such a problem that GM swtiched to a american pump midway thru the 06 run , ours didnt get that pump , we got the mexican unit. The plant was getting ready to produce 7 Hybrids , there now going to produce 6 ...Becuse the pump for the 7th is sitting in our truck ....

The pump takes the place of a classic power steering pump , they named it "electro hydrolic"

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

After reading the posts, to me, it looks like it wasn't the hybrid part of the vehicle that failed, but the new power assists that went belly up.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

exactly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.