Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  HITMONEY 
#1 ·
I've always been drawn the the Reatta, Buick's two seater coupe built from 1988-1991. Yesterday, I drove one for the first time. Damn that was one fine automobile.

This particular model was an '88, White with grey leather, and the touch screen ECC. It had 105K on it, but drove like a car with 20K. Smooth ride, not butter soft like the Deville, but distinctly Buick, with just enough road feel to remind you it was a sports car at heart. The 3800 didn't punch hard enough to create G-forces, but was silky smooth right through an impressive power curve.

I remember reading once that the early Reattas were built by Oldsmobile at the Lansing, MI plant, and were essentially hand-assembled one at a time. The quality control was head and shoulders above anything GM (or anyone else for that matter) was building at the time. Driving this car was testament to that. The doors still clicked closed silently, nothing rattled, and everything worked as it should.

It's priced at $4200. I'm really tempted. I'd have to sell the Caddy to make room in the garage...

...your advice is welcome

#2 ·
3800 >>> HT4100.

It's quite hard to compare a luxury sedan with a two seat luxury convertible. Which car appeals more to your emotional side, and why? Which appeals more to your logical side?

#4 ·
I like its sister car a whole lot more..... the last gen Toronado....

I really want a ~'91 Toronado Trofeo..... damn nice cars.

seriesoneperformance.com to boost up the ol gal, or you could find a Bonnieville SSEi and direct swap the s/c 3800 into it, or you can upgrade to a s/c 3800 Series II and the possibilites are limitless....

My '89 Olds has a 3800.... great engine, if not one of the best ever.

G
#7 ·
I drove a few back when I had a detail shop years ago. They were pretty high mileage ones and I dont see what the big deal about them is. I remember the touch screen on one of them did not work and the dealer that owned it was pissed cause it was an expensive unit. I dont think I ever worked on a convertible one, all coupes. Styling is not very exciting and the ones I drove did have lots of rattles. They did ride nicer than the Allante's I drove, those were just horrible.

#8 ·
I love Reattas. One of the best cars Buick ever made.

If you can live with a smaller car, trade the Caddy. Personally, I would definately choose the Reatta over the Cadillacs of those years. It's one of the few classics GM had during it's "dark ages".

The only downside I see is the limited parts availability. Many of the parts (particularly body parts) are unique to the car and are becoming impossible to come by. What is even worse is that there is no aftermarket support and there are only limited numbers of Reattas left to acquire parts from.

It's an often overlooked gem that I suspect will become a sought after collector's car later on.

#10 ·
Allante related at all to the Reatta? I know the dash and stuff out of the Riviera was used in the Reatta.

#11 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Allante related at all to the Reatta? I know the dash and stuff out of the Riviera was used in the Reatta.
Not at all.

My Hawaiian friend thinks Allante's look like early 90's Chrysler FWD products... I dunno, I guess it takes a speical crowd to like them. I personally really like them, but for the cost, there are other cars I'd rather have..... mostly because it isn't all that practical to use one as a daily driver.

#12 ·
A good discussion - thanks everyone.

Upon consideration, I'm going to drive the Caddy a while longer. However, the Reatta joins the list of the cars I may just buy if the right one comes along...

Today, that list is: (subject to change without notice)

1. 1989-92 Trofeo with a VIC

2. 1988-91 Reatta

3. 1987-90 Olds Touring Sedan

#13 ·
Ohhhh the '87-90 Touring Sedan! Now that's a sweet car! And way under appreciated! I used to work with a guy who had one, it was sort of a steel grey color with grey leather interior. Really a neat car, full instrumentation, five place perforated leather bucket seating with power lumbar, power bolsters and a full length center console. They got rid of the faux wood trim and put in real burled walnut. Then they made it even better in '91 when they redesigned the Ninety-Eight and best yet in '92-'93 when they added the Supercharged 3800!

#15 ·
I have a big book of collectible cars written by the editors of Consumer Guide, the Reatta was in there. I'll look it up when I get home from work.

#16 ·
I remember back then in the late 80's early 90's, the Reatta was a dream car of mine... the touch screen display was waaaay before it's time. In fact, the only other car with a screen like that that I had seen was my extremely short stint at Vector Cars in Long Beach. (was there 1 week before the shit hit the fan).

The manager of the 7-Eleven next to my house has a white one with red interior. I have asked him about it and he loves it, has over 150k on the odometer and he says he hasn't had one problem in the 7 years he has owned it.

#17 ·
Vector eh? Go on...

#18 · (Edited)
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Vector eh? Go on...
Yeah, i was fresh out of school.. went to Arizona Automotive Institute on a scholarship and was also taking classes a ASU. When I graduated from AAI in 91' I quit ASU and moved back to Cali. I went on some job interviews at dealerships that were set up by AAI, but one day I was reading the newspaper want adds. I saw a job in Long Beach for an apprentice position at a custom sports car designing house and manufacturing facitility. It didn't say Vector Cars in the add.

I called and set up an interview. When I showed up at the very non-descript warehouse looking building I was shocked to see what was inside. A full on Vector factory. I got hired onto the engine assembly team. Twin-Turbo 350's.

I got a ride in a Vector W8, the driver had me hold the, ancient by todays standards, laptop in my lap which ran the engine management system. He would reach over and richen the mixture before he hit it. That car flew.
It had a touch screen in it that was made by the same people who made the screens for the F-16, so I was told.

The problem was they couldn't get the cars to pass US mandated emmisions let alone CARB standards. They had orders for cars, but a court order wouldn't allow them to ship them until they could pass emmisions. The only one I knew that was delivered was to a Saudi Prince.

Anyway, I was there one full week getting trained, then after the weekend on Monday morning I show up and the place is surrounded by cops. The owner, Gerald Wiegert, had barracaded himeself inside the building because he had sold off more than 50% of the comapny to raise funds and the other share holders got together and were taking over the operation... hostile take over. That was my 1 week at work. The company eventualy moved to Jacksonville FL and produced some cars but I don't really know what happened to them after that.

The car itself was amazing... I remember it being very wide with no drive tunnel. Engine was rear mounted transversly if I remember correctly. I do remember that everything was either powder coated or chromed. All the hoses were aircraft styled with aircraft fittings and quick disconnects. Vector claimed the car would do some crazy top speed like 230 or 240mph.

Too bad they could never get an acceptable engine mangement system developed.

Thats my Vector 1 week employment story... LOL

EDIT: Found a link to some pics of a 1991 W-8 which shows some interior shots of the screen i was talking about.

http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/w8.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.