Mythbusters test fuel saving devices
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Mythbusters test fuel saving devices in General Discussion; 80s Olds Cutlass G-body, carbureted: Baseline: 17.5mpg @ 35mph / 25.5mpg @ 55mph Magnets: 17mpg @ 35mph / 25mpg @ ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Mythbusters test fuel saving devices

80s Olds Cutlass G-body, carbureted:
    Baseline: 17.5mpg @ 35mph / 25.5mpg @ 55mph
    Magnets: 17mpg @ 35mph / 25mpg @ 55mph
    Acetone: 16.7mpg @ 35mph / 24mpg @ 55mph
    "300MPG" Carburetor: 12mpg @ 35mph / 17mpg @ 55mph
    Hydrogen Fuel Cell: The car died, then refused to start again.
    [Hydrogen gas is produced by electrolysis, home made with Internet instructions.]
    They then decided to take a hydrogen tank and spray H directly into the carb. The car started and ran, and then there was an explosion.

92-96 Toyota Camry, four-cylinder fuel injected
    Baseline: 19mpg @ 35mph / 27mpg @ 55mph
    Magnets: 18mpg @ 35mph / 26mpg @ 55mph
    Acetone: 18mpg @ 35mph / 26mpg @ 55mph

W126 80s 3.0L Mercedes-Benz Diesel
    Diesel: 33mpg @ 35mph
    Free Used Cooking Oil: 30mpg @ 35mph

Conclusion: All busted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nikon is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V

Re: Mythbusters test fuel saving devices

that was a good episode....I wish my car was diesel to run the cooking oil.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by nikon
    that was a good episode....I wish my car was diesel to run the cooking oil.
    The good news is that restaurants will give you all the fuel you can burn. The bad news is that your exhaust will smell like whatever was cooked in the oil. A local guy has an agreement with a local donut shop. He'll probably have cops following him around all day. Hmm, maybe he'll rethink that source...

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    W126 80s 3.0L Mercedes-Benz Diesel
    Diesel: 33mpg @ 35mph
    Free Used Cooking Oil: 30mpg @ 35mph

Conclusion: All busted.
    Yeah, I wouldn't call this busted. When you can get the fuel for free, you get better mpg indirectly.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Free ........... until the restaurants wise up that is.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Free ........... until the restaurants wise up that is.
    Exactly their reason for saying it was busted.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Too bad they didn't do the DAMNED tornado that pops up on here every once in a while...

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

I remember watching the one where they tested fuel economy when using the AC, as opposed to just opening the windows. They ran an expedition around a track for 5 hours or so, one with the AC on full blast, and one with all the windows down. They ended up getting almost the exact same mileage.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by gary88
    I remember watching the one where they tested fuel economy when using the AC, as opposed to just opening the windows. They ran an expedition around a track for 5 hours or so, one with the AC on full blast, and one with all the windows down. They ended up getting almost the exact same mileage.
    No, the one running the AC got another 15 or 25 miles...

They only put 5 gallons of gas in them IIRC, it was only an hour or two they were out there.

Basically 40mph and less, use windows, aobve that, AC.

And, I got a chuckle when they say "full blast" even if the fan speed was set to low... hell, even if you put the temp to max high, but had the AC comrpessor on, its still doing the same work... the compressior will cool the air as far as it can, anything higher then max cold is just being mixed with heat... so when the temp is set to a medium temp, it is making the air really cold thru the AC system, only to mix it with heat to give the temp you want.

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    No, the one running the AC got another 15 or 25 miles...

They only put 5 gallons of gas in them IIRC, it was only an hour or two they were out there.

Basically 40mph and less, use windows, aobve that, AC.

And, I got a chuckle when they say "full blast" even if the fan speed was set to low... hell, even if you put the temp to max high, but had the AC comrpessor on, its still doing the same work... the compressior will cool the air as far as it can, anything higher then max cold is just being mixed with heat... so when the temp is set to a medium temp, it is making the air really cold thru the AC system, only to mix it with heat to give the temp you want.
    I guess your memory is better than mine, lol

I'm a windows down kind of guy, I like to listen to my exhaust

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

now did anyone see the most interesting part of that mythbusters episode ?

the fact that the Benz ran on cooking oil ? most of the folks running veggie power cars take the used oil put it into a conatiner and go thru a process to not only filter the stuff but to seperate it into fuel and gycerine (bio diesel)....these guys just filterd the stuff and ran it ...amazing ...

coarse we would dump our used engine oil into the fuel tanks fo the firetrucks , that was the nice thing about diesels , made for a nice way to get rid of oil products ...but i just wonder why all the fuss is about chemicly fooling witht he used oil insated of doing what they did on mythbusters ...seems odd

Quote Originally Posted by gary88
    I guess your memory is better than mine, lol

I'm a windows down kind of guy, I like to listen to my exhaust
    Unless its 100* out, 100% humidity and I am sitting in traffic, the windows are down.

I was driving to work the other day when I was right next to one of the instructors from my school on his Harley, so I beeped we said Hi, the next day he was like, don't you have AC in that Cadillac? I was like, of course... he was like, damn, don't you use it? I said I just like windows down so much better.

I can drive all day at 80mph with the windows down if the weather is nice... windows down, music up and the open road in front of me... mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    now did anyone see the most interesting part of that mythbusters episode ?

the fact that the Benz ran on cooking oil ? most of the folks running veggie power cars take the used oil put it into a conatiner and go thru a process to not only filter the stuff but to seperate it into fuel and gycerine (bio diesel)....these guys just filterd the stuff and ran it ...amazing ...

coarse we would dump our used engine oil into the fuel tanks fo the firetrucks , that was the nice thing about diesels , made for a nice way to get rid of oil products ...but i just wonder why all the fuss is about chemicly fooling witht he used oil insated of doing what they did on mythbusters ...seems odd
    I saw that.... it was interesting, thats the EXACT same Benz I was really thinking about getting about a month back.....heh...

Yeah, diesels will run on some crazy stuff... wonder if the unfiltered/seperated stuff really bothers them much.

Also, I know its only a matter of time before restaruants start charging for that used cooking oil....

WOTMODE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The way they siphoned the tanks on the a/c episode made for inaccurate results. I can't count how many tanks I've replaced, and getting the last 1/4 gallon out is almost impossible even with tipping the tank over. I think there could have been a gallon difference in fuel quantity after the siphoning. They should redo the test using fuel cells that can easily be run dry and filled with the exact same starting amount.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

The thing with veggie oil is that in time it will clog your fuel lines and injectors, because it is slightly thicker. Therefore they mix it with alcohol (and some other additives) to make it thinner. Actually, they sell it over here in Germany at the gas stations!
    You got to have your car prepared for bio-diesel though as the alcohol will wear out and dry up your normal rubber lines and seals. But there are plenty people in Europe who mix their own bio-diesel. There are also several websites and forums discussing the best mixture or to do it or nor for which cars/engines.
    One thing for sure is the distinctive smell! ...Deepfryer!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.