I shot a gun for the first time today! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, I shot a gun for the first time today! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by EcSTSatic You Floridians can correct me if I'm wrong but thieves used to focus on rental cars ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Re: I shot a gun for the first time today!

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    You Floridians can correct me if I'm wrong but thieves used to focus on rental cars down there because they figured the drivers would not be packing. Something about it was easy to spot a rental car and FL changed it so they wouldn't be so obvious.
    the plates used to be speical for the rental cars , i think it was the first letter was diffrent ...use to be bad , at one point someone would get hit in a sniper attack driving a rental at least once a week ...

still pretty easy nowadays ....just look for a new base model car with no tinting ont he windows ...

black93sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 STS

It's so wierd the different countries views towards weapons. In Switzerland, for example, IT IS THE LAW that everyone join the national guard and know how to shoot a rifle. The Swiss believe in a militia system moreso than the "army" we have, so if they get invaded, EVERYBODY defends the country - not just the army. In fact, they issue SIG 550 Assault Rifles to every male, and there is mandatory shooting practice, where you go to the range and shoot your rifle. So, scenes like this are extremely common in Switzerland:

In other words, people don't freak out when they see someone carrying an assault rifle in the grocery store. It's just natural.

I think it should also be noted that Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world...why? Because everyone knows that if you break into someone's house, you'll be met with a SIG 550...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleB
    I agree, I don't think you should ever shoot an intruder to kill, unless you have to in self defense.
    WRONG! That is exactly how the victim gets sued by the intruder. Dead men tell no lies. If you are not prepared to kill, don't pull the gun. Better yet, don't have one.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    Yeah, if someone breaks in, I say go for it...but there are plenty of options that don't kill. Stun guns, for example. I think that would suffice for home security.

But yeah, someone breaks into my home, I'm more the type who'd set a bunch of traps and then resort to blunt objects... Baseball bat, habanero pepper spray, wet fishes, plates...aim and fire
    You should read those posts about people being sued and/or prosecuted for using "less than lethal" means of defending their homes....they're legit. And good luck stopping the knife or gun toting burgular with a boobie trap and a stun gun. If the terrible situation of a home invader is ever upon me, I want to know that I did everything I could possibly do to protect my wife and child. JMHO
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

That's a big ten four. Someone breaks in and doesn't run at the sound of my safety being flicked off, they're not going to feel a thing. Maybe hear a BOOM, but I guarantee there will be no pain. No cruel and unusual punishment about it, as they will just cease to exist.

Booby traps are more illegal than shooting someone. They suggest malice aforethought and are more likely, at least in California, to end up as a Murder in the First instead of a Justifiable Homicide by Self-Defense or, worst case, Manslaughter. Setting up a booby trap means that you were planning to kill someone, that you thought about it and were willing to do it even when you WEREN'T in danger. Shooting someone in the middle of the night who is endangering and threatening you is a spur of the moment decision of self defense. Totally different and far more reasonable. Booby traps lead to BIG trouble if anyone gets hurt.

On another note, I sure as hell wish the US government would issue ME A Sig rifle. I was just looking at them the other day. Bad ass, is what they are!

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Very true, but I wasn't thinking of a lethal trap lol. But you're both right, it would be trouble even if someone gets hurt. I think the flaw lies in the law here though, not the practice. I mean think about what's been said here...all of it true, and basically we have to KILL someone in that situation because the law is more dangerous to us than the burgler!

Also, maybe I'm not prepared to kill, as Rolex suggested. I don't have a gun lol. If someone breaks in, I'm not going to be like "Yeah want a little help with the TV?" just because I can't kill the person. Maybe the solution is those "NO TRESPASSING" signs... A burgler trying to file a lawsuit would have a harder time making himself look benign if he's been forewarned in that manner.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

**MODERATOR WARNING**
    Let's not allow this thread to move into the political arena or there will be no choice but to close it.
    **END**

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    **MODERATOR WARNING**
    Let's not allow this thread to move into the political arena or there will be no choice but to close it.
    **END**
    Umm... What's wrong with a political conversation? Right now, it's just people talking about what they'd do if someone broke into their home, but so what if it turned political? Last I checked, that wasn't illegal....and it's not disruptive or immature unless some boob flips out and can't have a reasonable conversation...

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    Umm... What's wrong with a political conversation? Right now, it's just people talking about what they'd do if someone broke into their home, but so what if it turned political? Last I checked, that wasn't illegal....and it's not disruptive or immature unless some boob flips out and can't have a reasonable conversation...
    It's just part of the rules here at Cadillac Owners.

The rules:

No profanity in subject lines, signatures or posted messages.

No discussion of religion, politics or sexual preference.

G'ah!...Well then yep, pretty sure I forgot about that one, sorry lol. I guess I can see it's a preventative. I'll respect the forum government

Kev

No problem.

Thank you,
    Kev

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Hehehe...skirting danger is always fun! Crossing into it without being caught...even better!!!

LittleB is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    WRONG! That is exactly how the victim gets sued by the intruder. Dead men tell no lies. If you are not prepared to kill, don't pull the gun. Better yet, don't have one.

I understand that, but I also don't want to go to jail for life because I killed someone who broke in. I dunno, it's all confusing, and I don't know all of the gun laws for Cali (but I plan to read up on it soon). It's not MY gun anyway, it's my fiance's gun....I don't have one for a good reason. If someone broke in though, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Let's all just hope none of us ever have to face something like that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.