Getting even with the oil companies - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Getting even with the oil companies in General Discussion; I brought out my bike, and am oing to pedal the 6-10 miles to work. They'll get me on rainy ...
    ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Re: Getting even with the oil companies

I brought out my bike, and am oing to pedal the 6-10 miles to work. They'll get me on rainy days, and when I'm tired or grocery shopping. Though getting a scooter might work too.

CIWS is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

For me the work run is 24 miles each way (city driving) which is too far for a bicycle. I personally wouldn't mind a motorcycle, but I can't keep people from hitting me in cars, much less on a M.C. around here.

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Just for the info. Oil compaines aren't making profits (percentage-wise) nearly as close as some of the biggest companies out there.

Microsoft made over 30% profit last year.
    Exxon made just over 9%. Comparitively, the big 3 averaged about 5% and Toyota was at 7% or something.

Considering I'll only save a few hundred dollars a year if gas were to go down even 50 cents a gallon, I'm not overly worried right now.
    I'm more bothered that, the average car only gets in the 20's mpg everyday driving.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I really want a scooter. I could drive it about eight months a year around here, just to go to work. That's 15 miles round trip per day (I go home for lunch).
    You need to factor in the cost of owning a scooter to. Insurance, registration, maintenance. It only works if you replace a vehicle. That ain't gonna happen right?

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS
    We can be very slow to get moving on a particular problem, but when we do decide to dedicate ourselves to what may seem as overwhelming, and really apply the national will, we can accomplish some pretty amazing things. Just look at the race to the moon in the 60's. We went from almost nothing to having a man on the moon and returned safely in less than 10 years time, and did it with the technology of the day ! It was so unbelievable, some folks still do not believe we did it.
    CIWS makes a very good point here. Why not make an investment in alternative energy technology like we did with the early days of the space race? The potential for return is even greater than the technologies developed for the space program.

For another example of marshalling the national will and technological resources, look at the Manhatten Project. The atomic bomb was developed in less than five years and with even more primitive technology. And wouldn't it be better to create something constructive versus destructive? We could definitly improve our standing with the rest of the world.

I had thought a nationwide boycott would be impossible logistically, but yesterday's immigration demonstrations proves it can be done. It would likely have no real or lasting or economic effects, but it would definitely send a message to Big Oil that we're mad as hell, and we're not going to take it anymore.

I hardly see any Exxon or Mobil stations in Oregon, but I sure as hell won't give them any of my business. I'm only one consumer, but I can vote with my dollars, and they're not getting any of mine (at least not directly).

My 64 Impala Web Site

LittleB is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

That's great idea...but like others said...how in the world do you get everyone to participate. I also agree that they have us by the balls and they know it.....they are too powerful!!

"Necessity is the author of change." - Tim Hansel

The examples noted were driven by necessity. One - the Russian threat, two - the dread of invading the Japanese mainland.

If you get gas prices to go down. Emphasis on "if" , then no one would feel compelled to find alternatives. There would be no profit in it as the Ferenguis in Star Trek would say.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    Necessity is the author of change. - Tim Hansel

The examples noted were driven by necessity. One - the Russian threat, two - the dread of invading the Japanese mainland.
    I'd say we've reach the point of necessity. In all honesty, I would prefer the retun of cheap (say, sub-$2.00/gallon) gas. But I would complain less about today's high gas prices if some of today's insane oil company profits were invested in developing alternative energy technologies.

CIWS is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

To use an old saying - Strike the steel while it is still hot- Now is a good time to push things with our elected representatives. Reasons, gas is up with no quick solution to the pricing for several months. Hurricane season is very close with prospects it will be even nastier than last year. So the odds are prices will stay as high or go even higher if hurricanes slam the gulf again. Much less multiple ones at Cat 4 or 5 levels. Also the dance with Iran currently won't make things any better. Timing- It's an election year with several incummbants up for re-election. Pressure the congress to act to put pressure on the White House to basically pull a J.F.K. and muster the national will to find major solutions within a decade.

As a nation we have short memories and will not want to act if the prices drop too much. Once Novemeber goes by and the elections are over with a good opportunity could be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by gdwriter
    I'd say we've reach the point of necessity. In all honesty, I would prefer the retun of cheap (say, sub-$2.00/gallon) gas. But I would complain less about today's high gas prices if some of today's insane oil company profits were invested in developing alternative energy technologies.
    Oh I heartily agree. I was trying to make a point that getting the prices down works against getting support for alternatives. If the American people believe that these prices are here for a long time then they would more likely be in favor of change. Otherwise they will try to ride out a "spike" in prices.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.