The new car plan...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, The new car plan... in General Discussion; Well, after it was pretty much confirmed what I already knew... the transmission in the Coupe is on its way ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

The new car plan...

Well, after it was pretty much confirmed what I already knew... the transmission in the Coupe is on its way out.... I'd say 10k-30k... I gotta say it seems to be getting worse tho. No slipping, but it just feels loose, dosn't shift like it used to/should, and when you wipe the dipstick on a napkin, there is so much clutch material on it.

So she'll need a new trans, and a paint job, and some minor interior repair... I am honestly tired of driving the car... I love the car, and will never get rid of it, its my first car and all... but, I just want a change. I bought it with 79,917 miles from FL, now its back in FL with around 119k or so.

My parents are building a new house, they said I can get one of those portable garages, so I'll do that, and throw a cover on it, and prepare the car to sit, that way one day I can do all the work it needs... yeah its daily driver life is shortened, but I may still have insurance on it (withdraw it from use) that way if I want to drive it a while, I can.

So, the plan is to drive it until July, when I bring it to their place I fly back to NY for the Summer and drive my Oldsmobile down. The Olds will then be my daily driver/main car while I am down here to finish school (1-2 years depending on how much more I want to do... I'd like to go all out) The Olds has 131k on it, but runs/drives fine... it has a rust problem tho, so by the time i am done with school, that car will be pretty much used up... considering it was the $500 winter car.... 3 years ago, its more then paid foritself, atleast now I'll get to enjoy it and drive it. I miss 22mpg town and 32mpg highway on regular gas .

So I'll putt around in that, once I am done with school and ready to move and start a carrer, is when I buy a new (used) vehicle... something I've wanted for over a year now.... a 2003+ Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, manual, soft top.... I will be saving up for a nice down payment, then finance the rest. It'll be a newer, reliable vehicle for me to take where ever, I just want something I don't have to worry about for a long time, and its exactly what I want, I can't wait.

Some time in the next few months I'll be getting my mothers '89 Brougham too, I'll do little things to fix that car up, but I will not be spending alot of money on it, that car will end up being parked at my parents place too, I'll probably get a 2-car garge tent thingy. The Olds... well, when I am done with college, I'll either sell it privately, or trade it in as well if I go thru Carmax or a dealer here, tho its not really worth anything. So then I'll have the '93 Coupe and the '89 Brougham being stored, and my only vehicle will be the Jeep, I'll like it like that.

I'd like Kahki.... but I can't wait...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: The new car plan...

You have 119k on your deVille and the tranny goes out? Wierd! Usually the 4T60-E's last for a lot more than that!

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Yeah, I have 131k on mine and it runs great!

not out yet, but soon. With ~120k on it now, I'd say there may be 20k left... so 140k seems about average for the 4T60E.

Plus, this driving here has gotta be hard on it, constant stop and go traffic, speeding up, slowing down etc.... its not like back at home.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Gotta admit, sounds like a pretty decent plan, I can only wish you the best of luck, and hope that you'll post plenty of pics of the Brougham when you get her!

jonnyd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille

I hope the plan works out for ya bud!!!! you better be keeping the caddy!!! I'm sure you will start to venture into the off roading when you get the wrangler! Will be good times!!!!

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS

Those Jeep Wranglers are sweet! My cousin has one and it is a lot of fun driving it around town, especially with the hardtop off. Hope you enventually end up get one soon!

David

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Jeep= Just Empty Every Pocket

our jeep at work we have replaced the motor on it about 3 times, rear end about 4 times (sounds like the V forum now), radiator twice, and a host of other electrical problems also. oh tranny was replaced and now it is messing up again. it revves up to (no joke) 3k rpms and it is in D and not doing anything. my friends jeep has left him stranded several times also. and yesterday i seen one broke down on the side of the road. i just dont like jeeps, you do however and i hope you have better luck with them. good luck!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

I guess every vehicle is different. My dad has a 95 Wrangler he uses during the work day to visit different rail yards around town, it's an I-4, the 2.5 liter, and it's got 206,000 miles with no major repairs. I've done all the normal maintenance for him, but nothing more than ignition and body work. But I have heard that Jeeps can suck money from the deepest of pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    140k seems about average for the 4T60E.
    Ah shit seriously? I got about 2-3 more years out of this tranny by those calculations. Looks like I'm gonna need a 2nd car within a few years... (yes!)

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    Gotta admit, sounds like a pretty decent plan, I can only wish you the best of luck, and hope that you'll post plenty of pics of the Brougham when you get her!
    I don't think there will be a shortage of that .

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd
    I hope the plan works out for ya bud!!!! you better be keeping the caddy!!! I'm sure you will start to venture into the off roading when you get the wrangler! Will be good times!!!!
    The Coupe will never leave my possion. You don't know how bad I want to get into off-roading... it is so much fun, I have gone with friends in their trucks, and I want to do it on my own. None of my friends here have 4x4 trucks, plus, there is no where to off-road here... but gosh I can't wait.

lowlow... they have a Libtery at your place of work, right? The Wrangler is about as bullet proof as they come. The legendary 4.0 I6, a manual trans and Dana44 front and rear (locking) axels. No power windows, seats or auto climte control to give me problems, just no frills fun... exactly what I want.

The thing with the Jeeps and money is... once you start to mod it for off-road... there is no stopping... I know I'll get sucked in too. Its nice tho, the sheer massive aount of aftermarket. With the Caddy, when something goes bad, I need to go to Advance and buy a replacement part, usually not as good as the origanal AC Delco/GM stuff on it... well, with the Jeep... if something goes bad, gets worn out, or brakes... then its just an excuse to upgrade .

the 4T60E seems to fail around 120-200k.... of course there are exceptions either way. Stoneys went out around 135k? Either way I know its limited. Of course the 440T4 (4T60) in the Olds is at 131k now..... so using the same logic, that would be around that time too... BUT... maybe because the 3800 is not as powerful, and the car is lighter (less strain on the trans) who knows, but MOST of the 3800 cars see 200k+ from the trans. Really, by the time I get it down here and finish driving it, it may have 150k? I bought it with 116,316 miles, has 131,003 now... and its fine.

Rick, what about that 320SD you wanted a couple of weeks back?

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    lowlow... they have a Libtery at your place of work, right? The Wrangler is about as bullet proof as they come. The legendary 4.0 I6, a manual trans and Dana44 front and rear (locking) axels. No power windows, seats or auto climte control to give me problems, just no frills fun... exactly what I want.
    yeah but my friend has a wrangler, the other one that was broke down was a wrangler. oh, a buddy of mine at work has one and his has screwed up on him several times.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

actually mine blew at exactly 130,000.2 miles .....weird aint it ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.