The new car plan... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, The new car plan... in General Discussion; Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 Rick, what about that 320SD you wanted a couple of weeks back? Once I realised the ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: The new car plan...

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Rick, what about that 320SD you wanted a couple of weeks back?
    Once I realised the real-world mileage was low-mid 20's around town and high 20's-low 30's on the highway.... well, its the exact same spot I'd be at with my Oldsmobile Delta 88. Plus, the $6k I'd spend on one of those is going to be the down payment of a Jeep. I was doing alot of reasearch, posted on a MB site, and while they are tuff cars, they don't last forever... and at 200k, which alot of them are near, stuff needs to be fixed, by 300k more stuff needs to be fixed.

Forget all that, I am starting a new life, a new carrer, I want something both new and low mileage that I don't have to worry about, as well as simple, yet rugged, and will do everything I want... I am tired of luxury cars, so I don't want another. I want a manual transmission... can't take the top, or doors off a Caddy, or MB and still look cool... and I really want to get into off-roading. Just driving the Jeep around town was so much more fun then the DeVille.... automatics in contrast... are just boring. But, with the traffic the way it is, an automatic would be better, so thats why maybe one or two months before I leave Clearwater, I'll get the Jeep... plus gives me alot of time to save up, and for '03 Rubicons to come down in price. Even with the all new '07 Wrangler coming out later this year, those Rubi's are holding on to their value like crazy... actually any Wrangler does... the goal is to find one for $15k and have ~$5,000 to put as a down payment... finance the $10k, over 5 years the payments will be roughly $208/month, I can swing that, tho I'll want to be paying it off sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    yeah but my friend has a wrangler, the other one that was broke down was a wrangler. oh, a buddy of mine at work has one and his has screwed up on him several times.
    Well, I dunno then...

the 4.0 I6 is a bullet proof engine. Guzzles gas, but thats about it. The only "problems" with them... the plastic radiator is prone to cracking... tho thats not really the engine... and the early TJ's (pre 2000) would develpo cracked exhaust manifold. Other then that, 200k is nothing on a 4.0 I6. The manual transmission is nothing to worry about either.. and the clutch in the TJ seems to last at least 150k miles, even with off-roading.

If I ever had an engine problem, I would simply rebuild it, but build up a 4.7 I6 stroker... 300hp and 360ft-lbs torque . the rest of the driveline is solid. The front steering is somewhat weak, as the track bars bend if you get in some bad situations... but even then, not a big deal and the steering would be upgraded with one of the sweet aftermarket steering systems out for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    actually mine blew at exactly 130,000.2 miles .....weird aint it ?
    Heh, I'd say.

The Olds is past that point, the '79 never got there... and the Coupe is coming up to it. 130k is about 11.5k miles away... and its very possible it can fail around then.

Really though, the car is 13 years old with 120k. A transmission rebuild, a paint job, a cracked armrest.... its nothing that a 13 year old daily driver car woudln't need.

I must say, these cars age well... they age very, very well. My car feels just as much solid and whatnot as when I got it... probably more now. Alot of other GM cars of the era, the N-bdy, J-body, even the F-body and most all others... don't age very well.... but these cars, just keep up with the maintenance and they will last. I still get compliments all the time on the Coupe even with her in the shape she is in now, people love the car.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

actually mine blew at exactly 130,000.2 miles .....weird aint it ?
    had a jeep, too?

Rick- like i said, i hope you have better luck than what i have seen. you like them so go for it, i just dont want you to get screwed so if you do get one make sure it is new or atleast new enough that it has a warranty. good luck.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

no, no jeep ..that was a cadillac that ate 10 grand in parts in 2 years ...seems to be fine now other then needing yet another starter ...this one will be number 4

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Well good luck. Finance as little as you can.

no, no jeep ..that was a cadillac that ate 10 grand in parts in 2 years ...seems to be fine now other then needing yet another starter ...this one will be number 4
    I am on #2, only because when we were replacing the motor mount, the seloniod for the starter cracked, so we just replaced the whole ordeal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.