sport bikes - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, sport bikes in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Guy,mn.usa Roadraced many years..Duck won't own an R1. Huh, Ducati owns almost everyone almost every year in ...
    HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Re: sport bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Guy,mn.usa
    Roadraced many years..Duck won't own an R1.
    Huh, Ducati owns almost everyone almost every year in World Superbike...

From 1988 to 2005 Ducati has 13 World Superbike Championship titles.... including every year from 1998 to 2004 finnaly losing to Suzuki in 2005.
    Yamaha has 0 to date.

Ducati has had 128 pole positions to date in WSBK, Yamaha.. 10.

Ducati has 241 WSBK wins to date... Yamaha 36.

At the next World Superbike Race, which bike would you put your money on?

Now, thats not the real world, thats World Superbike Racing. In the real world The R1 is a superb bike, and probably a better all around performance machine for the street than even the 999r. This is also coming from a life long GSXR rider whos owned every model up until the 97 model year.

But at the base of the Ortega Highway (78) in California, or in the North GA mountains the Duc is in its element and there are few bikes that exude the confidence needed to ride those roades faster than you can on a Duc. There is a reason they cost almost 3 times more than a GSXR or R1. Of course it is all rider dependent...

But at the base of the mountain, all riders equal and given the above... which bike would you put your money on?

One of my very good friends is Scott Russell... Mr. Daytona... and even his short stint on the HMC Ducati had him saying
    "No other bike on the planet feels as good as this one..." refering to the HMC prepped Ducati 996.

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997
    If you're just getting a FIRST bike, you do NOT want that.... find an older used CBR600 F3 or somehting like that, learn how to ride, take riders edge or something like that... it'll definitely save your life. Actually, if you find an old VFR 750, or a VFR 800, those are V4 bikes, super smooth, plenty fast.... the Acura of sportbikes.
    Im gonna assume youre talkin' to me. It's not my first bike, as I wrote. And I allready have the 996 bought and in my garage. I'll take an advanced drivers course sometime, but for the kind of riding I do and when I do, I'll be fine on the bike.

Acura of sportbikes...does that mean it'll come with nice HID's and have a tranny that'll break at 70 mph ?

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    Huh, Ducati owns almost everyone almost every year in World Superbike...

From 1988 to 2005 Ducati has 13 World Superbike Championship titles.... including every year from 1998 to 2004 finnaly losing to Suzuki in 2005.
    Yamaha has 0 to date.

Ducati has had 128 pole positions to date in WSBK, Yamaha.. 10.

Ducati has 241 WSBK wins to date... Yamaha 36.

At the next World Superbike Race, which bike would you put your money on?
    Forgive me for being a newb, I don't watch tv. But just curious, whats the difference between World Superbike and MotoGP. I watch a bit of motogp when i get a chance, and Ducati is never a winner.

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde
    Forgive me for being a newb, I don't watch tv. But just curious, whats the difference between World Superbike and MotoGP. I watch a bit of motogp when i get a chance, and Ducati is never a winner.
    World Superbike is the crem-dala-crem of Superbike racing. It's the next step up from AMA Superbike which is just about the same bike but only on US tracks. The bikes are mostly factory prepared versions of the the same bike you can buy in the showroom. Take an off the show room floor GSXR, throw at least 100k at it, and you have an average entry level World Superbike that probably wouldn't even qualify. Put it this way, the Ducati Motor costs $200,000.00, yet its still based on the production 999 motor. The bikes are EXTREMELY fast.. some as fast as MotoGP bikes but much heavier producing 190+hp. The races are held around the globe and the riders are the best of the best Supebike riders. Think of it kinda like NASCAR but on a world stage.

MotoGP is like the Formula 1 of motorcycles.... One off, factory built, very secretive, exotic, light weight, million dollar +, mostly 2 stroke 500cc machines, some say making as much HP as Superbikes. This is the no holds barred, how much money can a factory spend, effort. Ducati only recently entered MotoGP in 2003 and actualy set a record of 8 podium finishes for a debut season. its funny how secretive these teams are... when they wreck they throw covers over the bike so no one can see inside the fairings. I've read stories of how track officials/corner people are checked for cameras and have to sign documents barring disclosure of anything they might see on a wrecked bike. Crazy 007 shit.

MotoGP is currently in a Honda dynasty, before that it was a Suzuki dynasty. Nicky Haden rides for Honda in MotoGP... I rode with him and his brother every third weekend of month in the early nineties at Willow Springs. They were just kids riding Yamaha TZ 250's. Their dad used to have to hold them up at the starting line cause their feet couldn't touch the ground. Now, Nicky is one of the best in the world.

Here is Ducati's MotoGP bike... the Desmosedici GP6 ridden by Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Alright, so I went down to the local sport bike dealers, and I have to say I like the Yamahas the most, I like their exterior design the most. The R1 and R6 are just sexy..

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Hitmoney - Right on. Nice picture! I'm not going to embarrass myself. My Interceptor was a later one, with a full fairing, mostly white with red & blue trim.... 86, if I remember right. Looong time ago. And yeah, back in my day, the GSXR was the nastiest thing out there. Lighter, faster... in the right hands, it was unbeatable. The GSXR, even the consumer ones, were "no compromises" pure race bikes.

AznPrydeReaglRyde - What I meant about the Acura of sport bikes was, they were fast, and comfortable. Somewhat better riding position. I always liked the VFR's smooth application of power, and wider powerband. I'm sure there are Acura horror stories out here.... however, my Dad still has an 88 Legend LS Coupe and a 97 3.0 CL in his garage.... I won't bore you with the details of ex-wives, stepsons, girlfriends who have been beating on these cars over the years.... all that's ever been done to them are batteries, brakes, tires, and oil changes, air filters, plugs, and wires. That's it. I can't speak to their entire product line, but those 2 rides are apparently indestructible. Every attempt has been made to beat these cars to death, by people who don't give a crap. So far, the cars are still there. So, sorry if you hate Acuras, but they're not all bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997
    AznPrydeReaglRyde - I won't bore you with the details of ex-wives, stepsons, girlfriends who have been beating on these cars over the years.... all that's ever been done to them are batteries, brakes, tires, and oil changes, air filters, plugs, and wires. That's it. I can't speak to their entire product line, but those 2 rides are apparently indestructible. Every attempt has been made to beat these cars to death, by people who don't give a crap. So far, the cars are still there. So, sorry if you hate Acuras, but they're not all bad....
    Well, with all the bad luck you've had, I think you take life a little too seriously. I knew what ya meant.
    I don't hate Acura's...I love them actually.
    If your family had continued buying Acura's, you would have seen that the last gen. TL's (next gen after your CL) had alot of tranny problems.

Lighten up a little man, maybe thats why ya got so many ex-wives :P.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    Alright, so I went down to the local sport bike dealers, and I have to say I like the Yamahas the most, I like their exterior design the most. The R1 and R6 are just sexy..
    New R1, hottest bike on the rode besides an MV Agusta

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    World Superbike is the crem-dala-crem of Superbike racing. It's the next step up from AMA Superbike which is just about the same bike but only on US tracks. The bikes are mostly factory prepared versions of the the same bike you can buy in the showroom. Take an off the show room floor GSXR, throw at least 100k at it, and you have an average entry level World Superbike that probably wouldn't even qualify. Put it this way, the Ducati Motor costs $200,000.00, yet its still based on the production 999 motor. The bikes are EXTREMELY fast.. some as fast as MotoGP bikes but much heavier producing 190+hp. The races are held around the globe and the riders are the best of the best Supebike riders. Think of it kinda like NASCAR but on a world stage.

MotoGP is like the Formula 1 of motorcycles.... One off, factory built, very secretive, exotic, light weight, million dollar +, mostly 2 stroke 500cc machines, some say making as much HP as Superbikes. This is the no holds barred, how much money can a factory spend, effort. Ducati only recently entered MotoGP in 2003 and actualy set a record of 8 podium finishes for a debut season. its funny how secretive these teams are... when they wreck they throw covers over the bike so no one can see inside the fairings. I've read stories of how track officials/corner people are checked for cameras and have to sign documents barring disclosure of anything they might see on a wrecked bike. Crazy 007 shit.

MotoGP is currently in a Honda dynasty, before that it was a Suzuki dynasty. Nicky Haden rides for Honda in MotoGP... I rode with him and his brother every third weekend of month in the early nineties at Willow Springs. They were just kids riding Yamaha TZ 250's. Their dad used to have to hold them up at the starting line cause their feet couldn't touch the ground. Now, Nicky is one of the best in the world.

Here is Ducati's MotoGP bike... the Desmosedici GP6 ridden by Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau.

Great read. Thanks!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

New R1, hottest bike on the rode besides an MV Agusta
    What about the 'busa?

kali_cts03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 White/Diamond CTS (sold)

Curious who here rides sport bikes?
    I just got rid of my ninja 636 recently, and I just picked up a slightly used Ducatti 996s.

Anyone here ride? Whatca got?
    No sports bike yet, just a dirtbike for now..... but I would like to pick up a 500 Ninja soon. This would be my first street bike so I don't think I need it any bigger for now.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.