sport bikes - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, sport bikes in General Discussion; How much is a Ducati new compared to a new Honda or a Suzuki or a Yamaha?...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: sport bikes

How much is a Ducati new compared to a new Honda or a Suzuki or a Yamaha?

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792
    How much is a Ducati new compared to a new Honda or a Suzuki or a Yamaha?
    I would say on average 1/3 more on regular sportbikes and double on special models like the "S" or "SPS".

Mine was 20k back in 1999, then invensted another 10k in an eye blink!

But there is nothing like a Duc... might not be the fastest, but the handling is world class and well... it's Italian machinery.

MSRP on a Hayabusa is $13k which is pretty much top of the line for Japanese sportbikes. R1s and R6's are around $11k

AznPrydeRegalRyde is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s

Side note, isn't the Hayabusa the fastest bike in a straight line?
    Not just the fastest bike in a straight line, its the fastest production vehicle on the road in a straight line. The only thing that comes close is the new Bugatti. Busa's are good for around 17 secs or so 0-200mph. Thats a couple seconds faster then the Hennessey Viper 1000tt and almost 10 seconds faster then the McLaren F1.

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    But there is nothing like a Duc... might not be the fastest, but the handling is world class and well... it's Italian machinery.
    Might not be the fastest, but it's gonna take a little while for me to get use toa 1000cc This bike does handle incredibly well tho, so balanced. And its certainly not the wheelie machine the R1 is.

No, but on the twisties (once you get comfortable) you will OWN an R1.. and thats what counts.

Wheelies, heh... My Duck was a wheelie machine... But I had upgrades out he whazoo. Power Commander, Sprockets, Head work, hand made pipes, tranny mods, you name it.. I had it.

I miss the rattle of my dry clutch.... <starts weeping>

My Duck was stolen very shortly after it was 100% completed... the thief crashed it, lived for a month in a coma then they uplugged him and he went straight to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde
    Not just the fastest bike in a straight line, its the fastest production vehicle on the road in a straight line. The only thing that comes close is the new Bugatti. Busa's are good for around 17 secs or so 0-200mph. Thats a couple seconds faster then the Hennessey Viper 1000tt and almost 10 seconds faster then the McLaren F1.

Haha wow so you mean by the time my cars at 80MPH, this things at 200?! Wow! Good lord!

Quote Originally Posted by HITMONEY
    My Duck was a wheelie machine... But I had upgrades out he whazoo. Power Commander, Sprockets, Head work, hand made pipes, tranny mods, you name it.. I had it.

I miss the rattle of my dry clutch.... <starts weeping>

My Duck was stolen very shortly after it was 100% completed... the thief crashed it, lived for a month in a coma then they uplugged him and he went straight to hell.
    My 636 was much less modded. Arata slip-on,PC3, 520 chain, and a whole bunch of visual mods (signals f/r, fully black paint, powdercoated black wheels, etc..). I wanna get into more performance mods with the 996 tho...can you suggest a good forum and/or website for parts?

Hate to hear your bike was stolen, but man, talk about revenge happening quickly...

Haha wow so you mean by the time my cars at 80MPH, this things at 200?! Wow! Good lord!
    Yeah, the Busa is a wild machine. The crazy thing is thats stock. There are numerous videos of the Busa with NOS and/or big bore kit and/or turbo! Yes, turbo'd Hayabusa.

I know, I've seen those videos

Thumbs up Re: sport bikes

Quote Originally Posted by AznPrydeRegalRyde
    My 636 was much less modded. Arata slip-on,PC3, 520 chain, and a whole bunch of visual mods (signals f/r, fully black paint, powdercoated black wheels, etc..). I wanna get into more performance mods with the 996 tho...can you suggest a good forum and/or website for parts?

Hate to hear your bike was stolen, but man, talk about revenge happening quickly...
    Sorry, I don't have any websites... I am sure there are plenty out there.

All my work was done at two different shops in Atlanta... one of them doesn't exsist anymore...Ducati Atlanta. The second shop was a local machine shop where all the motor work was done.

What I do suggest is a good set of pipes, I first had a set of Carbon Termignoni pipes which worked well before I got the quads. Power Commander is a must as well as gearing to your needs.

Have your suspension professionaly set up, this can make the difference between hating and loving your 996. You should have no more than 1 inch of suspension sag when you sit on the bike. Rebound and preload settings will take some time to get right. There is almost to much adjustability in the 996s' suspension.

The bike is not a HP monster but does produce enough torque to make you think twice about how much right hand to use on corner exits. Many a time I came out sideways with the front wheel aloft up in the North GA mountains. Georgia Pines are not a good site when sideways with front wheel aloft BTW.

I might as well mention that nothing brakes better than a 996 or 999 as well. They are so good that other bikes have crashed trying to brake when I did. I had a friend on a ZX-9 clipping with me on the way to Ellijay GA... there is one corner that always creeps up on me... I had to brake hard to enter the falling away sweeping left, when on my outside comes a locked up ZX-9 which stopped abruptly when the secondary emergency brake was engaged.... we call this brake the gaurd rail. My friend was ok, save some bruises and a busted ego... ZX-9.. bent front end, totaled body work, tank, radiator, oil cooler etc... Great thing was I had plenty of brake left over going in... Gotta love the Brembos. My 996s loved to be trail braked once keeled over in a turn.

A Busa and a Duck's only similarities are that they both have 2 wheels. Two machines built for totaly different set of riding styles. Duck is the jet fighter, fast and agile... the Busa is like the SR-71 Blackbird, extremeley fast but handles like a couch. Also the new Kawi ZX-14 claims to be a Busa beater. <shrugs> I dunno... as these type of bikes aren't my style. I like to use more than just the center of my tire.

These pics taken 2 weeks before her kidnapping from this very lot. I ran a bike night behind the Riviera in mid-town Atlanta on Friday nights..... Only thing different from these pics and her kidnapping was I had installed a full Carbon Fiber swing-arm.. an EXTREMELY expensive piece also destroyed in the crash.

Eric Kahn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham

sportiest thing I have is my Honda Pacific coast, it s bit shy on horsepower compared to the Duck and does not come equiped with a long legged model in a short black dress either

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

A lobng time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I raced sportbikes....

Unless you have insane money, I humbly suggest you stay away from Ducati....

Way back in the day, I had a Honda VFR750R INterceptor, and a 900RR. Heavily modded. I THOUGHT they were super fast bikes.....

My neighbor down the street, younger guy, just bought a Yamaha R1. Holy crap, what a machine! 1000 CC's of pure terror. Very very sweet. He wanted me to ride it, and let him know what I thought. Heh heh, I thought I wanted one for myself. Sweet.

If you're just getting a FIRST bike, you do NOT want that.... find an older used CBR600 F3 or somehting like that, learn how to ride, take riders edge or something like that... it'll definitely save your life. Actually, if you find an old VFR 750, or a VFR 800, those are V4 bikes, super smooth, plenty fast.... the Acura of sportbikes.

Riding that R1 was like being young again.... amazing bike.

My heavily modded Harley gets 48 to the gallon, though, which is nice these days.....

Guy,mn.usa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Roadraced many years..Duck won't own an R1. Ridden many Ducks....good tuner of ducks Doug Lofgren. Riddin and raced many of Doug's bikes...he's the best out there and expensive...
    Nothing bests a Gixer 1000 that is built and tuned right.
    Here's my 190rwhp in action....
    Attached Images

Hehehehe... bringing back the memories now!! My first bike was an Interceptor as well... an 84 VFR 750. I too thought it was the fastest thing on the planet. Then I learned what fast was all about when I got my 86 GSXR which pound for pound has still got to be one of the nastiest machines ever put on the tarmac.

Embarrasing Pic!! LOL Whooohooo thats a long time ago.. taken in '87 I believe.

The 1986 GSXR 750, Pretty much unmolested... Taken in '88

After transformation, stuffed a 1340cc Big Papa Yoshi Motor with 40mm push/pull smooth bores into her... Thing was insane.. even by todays standards. We are talking 160-170hp in a 400lb bike built for street racing and mountain carving in days before fuel injection,power commanders etc... it was all about tunning the old fashioned way with mercury sticks, jet kits, and a screw driver. She had to be launched in second gear... and you still had to have some steel balls to do that... with a rear sproket set-up of 44 and a front at 13 it would stick it straight up 100mph with out trying. Bike was borderline un-rideable. I got a nice Evac helicopter ride and over a month in the hospital courtesy of mixing this beast with turn 8 at Williow Springs.

Addition of lots of good stuff, like Slingshot rear wheel, White Bros Steering Dampener, Gusseted Frame... Sick.

Only Pic I can find of my 1995 900RR. My neighbors loved me. <Evil Grin>

Some of my race team bikes from around 1994-95 FZR600, Tricked out SRX600, CBR F2

This was Frakenstein, our Formula USA Endurance Bike. Its a Katana 600 frame used cause its steel and survivable, a 1340cc Yoshi Big Papa GSXR Motor, Race Tech inverted front end, GSXR wheels, and half GSXR body work and half Katana bodywork. It would look like a big GSXR was coming up on you, then on the straight it would blow by you and you would think you just got passed by a Katana!! LMAO! This bike was incredibly stable but a lil heavy. FUSA Racing was awesome, you could do anything to the bike you wanted except turbo and nitrous, but the bike would have to be able to survive a 6, 8, or 12 hour race. Every thing had releif cuts like the levers so they would break off where we wanted them to if and when the bike went down leaving enough stub to be able to pick it up and ride it back to the pits or continue racing. Good times!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.