GM's 8 speed transmission? Old news.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, GM's 8 speed transmission? Old news. in General Discussion; http://autowaffle.com/patent-wars-fo...-transmission/ Yeah. Ford apparently has a patent for an ELEVEN SPEED trans. Also of note, Ford and GM have been ...
    Stingroo is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): '92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56 | '01 Buick Century | '95 Lexus LS400

GM's 8 speed transmission? Old news.

http://autowaffle.com/patent-wars-fo...-transmission/

Yeah. Ford apparently has a patent for an ELEVEN SPEED trans.

Also of note, Ford and GM have been collaborating on a 10-speed unit, which is supposed to see use in the 2017 F-150 Raptor. But this? Hmmmm....

Anybody else think that this is just getting a little out of hand?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: GM's 8 speed transmission? Old news.

They are making that and I'm sitting here perfectly happy with 4 and 6 speeds.
    77CDV likes this.

Well yeah. My 4-speed auto was great in the wagon, too - but that's not how progress is made.

Especially government manded progress.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Aoyagi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI - EU version

Looks like corporations are trying to patent as much as they can until someone fixes the broken system. EFF and others obviously need to try harder, heh.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV --- Clyde - 15 Silverado

I think 11 is excessive in cars, especially when you can build so much range into a mere 4 speeds.

On a bike, it makes sense, because there isn't a whole lot of power to work with, so you need a bigger gear differential.

Cars, they have so much power, rolling from a dead stop isn't much of an issue. Just need a handful of gears to get up to highway speed, maybe low triple digits, and you're set.
    77CDV likes this.

Well, in the case of cars, they do it for the opposite reason. Not to make getting up from a start easier, but to make cruising easier. On a bike, you cruise and just stop pedaling. On a car, the transmission is still that link between the engine and wheels, so more gears make sense. It's almost like they should just develop some sort of system with a continuously variable range of selections in order to suit driving situations...

....wait a minute.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    6-8 is fine for me. The 4 speed in my Town Car is nice enough, but hit that bad spot trying to downshift one gear after rolling through an EZ Pass booth at 25mph and it sometimes kicks a gear too low. Neck snapping clients is not my bag, baby...

I am interested to see how the 8 speed in my hopeful Silverado is.
    77CDV likes this.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I've read some bad reviews of the 9 speed auto Fiat Chrysler is now using. Complaining it doesn't know what gear to be in, takes forever to downshift when you plant your foot, upshifts aren't smooth, and that it doesn't use 9th gear at highway speeds.

Honestly I think more than 6-8 gears in an automotive application is overkill. It just makes for a transmission that shifts too much, or like that Fiat Chrysler transmission, the computer logic is a bit baffled because it has too many ratios and options to choose from.

Luke, the 8L90 is great. Really great. 10/10 (8/8?) would drive.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

YAY!

I take it you has driven, yes?

Several. In trucks and Corvettes.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Yay!

SO MUCH WANT

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS

4 was OK, but not adequate. The changes between gears are too big, which manifest itself as neck snapping gear changes. It is obvious that there could be some more gears between the existing 4 gears to have a more refined ride and better fuel economy.

6 is good. However, 8 is better. As an example, BMW 328 and ATS 2.0 liter Turbo have similiar two liter tubo engines. But the BMW has a better performance compared to ATS, despite the fact that the engine in ATS produce more HP. the different: BMW has a world-class 8-gear transmission wheres ATS has a relatively old 6 gear transmission. What I am trying to say is that in practice the superiority of 8-gears over 6-gears in terms of performance and fuel economy is documented and there is virtually no argument over it.

But 11 speed, 10 speed, or more gear, I don't know. I don't know how many gears is considered too many gears. But for sure it is not 8.

As a side note, when the number of gears goes to infinity, basically we get a CVT, correct? So we already have an auto transmission with virtually an infinite number of gears. The manufactures are trying to fill the gap between CVT and conventional 8 speed autos. The question is why not focus on CVT and try to perfect that technology rather than putting many discrete gears besides each other?
    CTSCHICK likes this.

dchavezo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 DeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    4 was OK, but not adequate. The changes between gears are too big, which manifest itself with neck snapping gear changes. It is obvious that there could be some more gears between the existing 4 gears to have a more refined ride and better fuel economy. 6 is good. However, 8 is better. As an example, BMW 328 and ATS 2.0 liter Turbo have similiar two liter tubo engines. But the BMW has a better performance compared to ATS, despite the fact that the engine in ATS produce more HP. the different: BMW has a world-class 8-gear transmission wheres ATS has a relatively old 6 gear transmission. What I am trying to say is that in practice the superiority of 8-gears over 6-gears in terms of performance and fuel economy is documented and there is virtually no argument over it. But 11 speed, 10 speed, or more gear, I don't know. I don't know how many gears is considered too many gears. But for sure it is not 8. As a side note, when the number of gears goes to infinity, basically we get a CVT, correct? So we already have an auto transmission with virtually an infinite number of gears. The manufactures are trying to fill the gap between CVT and conventional 8 speed autos. The question is why not focus on CVT and try to perfect that technology rather than punting many discrete gears besides each other?
    As long as gm doesn't insert a brake application as a part of a simulated "hard/sportier shift" point I'll be happy. They did that with the Lexus f sport crap...unbelievable

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.