Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac Sixteen almost produced....would you have bought it?

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  talismandave 
#1 · (Edited)
Forget the fact that it didn't have modern technology and would only get about 16 MPG.....were talking 1000Hp and 1,000 lbs ft. of torque without the use of forced induction; at that time state-of-the-art design (2003). The Sixteen had the Cadillac logo carved out of solid crystal on the steering wheel and a Bulgari clock on the dashboard. You can see it's influences in our ATS,CTS,XTS and upcoming CT6 Cadillac. It almost came into production.....assuming that it had a more realistic cost and design (which it wouldn't as is; hell the paint job itself was 20 coats of pearl black at about $50,000) would you have contemplated buying it?

See less See more
#4 ·
If I had the money sure. I might opt to by something else though. You said 50k for paint? Waste for me on that part. If I was rich I wouldn't care. I would need a couple parking spaces for that beast in my underground parking garage. Near my personal helicopter and jet hanger.:rant2:

#8 ·
Having seen and touched it myself, if I were of a higher economic class I would surely go for it over a Rolls, Bentley,or Maybach.

That would be the class it would have competed in, and more than likely would have handily beat in style, handling and price.

Cars in that stratus do not need high volume, and would have made every other lower model of the brand more valuable by association. The lack of that kind of brand building is what is keeping the current line-up at bargain only sales. It is what Cadillac needs to break out of the "Rebates and Lease Specials"of GM past.

That was why when Mercedes released the 300 class and the SLK they were so popular. Not because thousands of people said to themselves "Great, they finally made a MB small enough for me!"
It was that the cubicle dweller could finally get a car that looked like the CEO's!

If executed as well as the prototype, with slightly more down-to-earth materials, it could have become The Standard of the World.
:hmm:....that has a nice ring to it.....:bulb:

#9 ·
I couldn't have said it better talismandave. It's the very fact that it is for the most part, unattainable for most of us, that a similar model emanating from the concept would have IMO advanced the demand for such designs and innovations at a much earlier time point in that decade. I am amazed how much it influences the design of Cadillacs today from this concept way back in 2003.

#10 ·
Even if I had the money my answer would still be "No" as I am not interested in really big luxury vehicles. My current cars are a small daily driver (ATS) and a weekend sports car. If I was willing to spend the money I would go up to the ATS V or CTS V (even it seems big) as a daily and a nicer weekend sports car but above that in size I don't see a point.

#16 ·
With all the V-12's available today, a V-16 would have made a real statement. Unfortunately GM management didn't realize that there is actually a market for a car like that from Cadillac. Unlike the 1957 Eldorado Brougham, that fared so poorly against the Continental Mark II, the Sixteen has sophisticated styling that appeals to the truly wealthy set. Would they have made money on the Sixteen, probably not. But considering the amount Cadillac has spent on worthless advertising, the press coverage and prestige the Sixteen would have garnered from the right ownership and being seen in places where Cadillacs once were often seen (instead of Mercedes) would have had very real marketing value.

#22 ·
Also a shame because Cadillac is especially known of recent past for um, questionable engine designing skills.

From the initial flap over Chevy and Old engines being slipped into Cadillacs in the 80's, to the HT4100, and then the earliest Northstars, they could use some good engine cred.

On the other hand it could have just had bigger head gaskets to be replaced, and they would just be standing on their Johnson's again.

I think by 2003 they had their "stuff' together enough to have knocked it out of the park, and missed the chance.

#26 ·
That is one awesome piece of automotive engineering. Had I the money... Damn straight I'd be in one. That is a modern version of our Cadillac memories... Jesda is correct though... Caddy's like this are unattainable to probably 98% of America. That's what makes it a real Cadillac.

So where is it now? And in the build video it looked like they had a completed car and working on another. Were there two? Or more?

#30 ·
I second that!

Do not miss an opportunity to see and touch those two should you have the chance.
World Class automobiles for sure. :cloud9:

They were both at the CLC Museum opening, and while I count being able to meet Bob Lutz and shake his hand there, as the high point of my life, hanging all over those two was a close second. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.