Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Horribly Placed Fuel Filter

819 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  orconn 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help here.

Sandy's throwing a PO171 code, idling kind of rough and getting meh gas mileage compared to usual. Power's a little lacking, too. I'm thinking the lean code is probably because of my fuel filter. I don't think it's ever been done on this car, and she's got 196,000 miles now. It's one of those terrible in-tank-filter-pump units. I've had the fuel filter on my mind for a while now, but it's just such a pain... It's the only thing I can think of that could be to blame. Before doing all of that, I wanted to pick your guys' brains first to see if there's something simple I could be overlooking. I'm poor and I don't have much spare time on my hands. :lol:

#9 ·
The main problem with your car is it is a Chrysler. Second problem is it is a Sebring.

That being said, it definitely sounds like the filter or a vacuum leak, as MC has suggested. You'd probably notice the leak quickly and it could save you a lot of trouble.

Had to replace the fuel pump on a 1993 Oldsmobile earlier this year. Had to remove the exhaust and drop the tank. Did it in my driveway, so it was not remarkably fun...but not really that difficult. Presuming your filter is in the tank, instead of beneath the car, this may be your fun soon, as well (I know Mopar likes to put things in dumb spots, especially on smaller cars, such as window switches and batteries)

Merely a week after I did that, an associate in Detroit had to do something similar on his Chevy. He cut a "U" shaped hole in the bottom of the trunk, folded it up, like the lid from a can of sardines and replaced the pump without having to touch the tank, then welded it shut when done.

I suggest you do it that way. It is not practical, simple, or (in most peoples' hands) safe...But I want to see some photographs documenting it.

#15 ·
I don't generally remember anyone I've met online unless it was somehow relevant to me. Strangely, I am somehow remembered very well by people. That's unnerving, to say the least.

I'm not here much anymore. Present life leaves no time for automotive projects. Too busy with...too busy. A number of people here do not know what I drive. I am happy with it being that way. People make presumptions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.