Synthetic fluids
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By BlueAngel#07
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Synthetic fluids in General Discussion; My dealer said that you don't have to change the brake fluid in my car until 100k.........so I'm changing my ...
    BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    My dealer said that you don't have to change the brake fluid in my car until 100k.........so I'm changing my brake fluid.....doesn't seem right to me. Anyway I'm planning to put high heat brake fluid in just because I can, and braided steel hoses to firm up the pedal a bit and started wondering if I should replace oil and tranny and diff fluid with synthetic while motor and trans are young as far as wear. What are the benefits if any?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Your car should already have DEX VI (synthetic) in it.

The main advantage of synthetic oil is that it's able to withstand higher temperatures. Super charger, turbo, nitrous, highly modified/high revving N/A engine? It's necessary. Your Nodthstat? No.

Synthetics also have a higher detergent level, and are able to suspend more crankcase deposits. Unless you have excessive blow by, or don't change the oil even the OLM tells you to, it's unnecessary.

Synthetics also don't become much more viscous at EXTREMELY low temperatures. Love in Antarctica? No? Then not necessary.

Use the recommended oil for your engine, change it when the OLM tells you to, and you'll be fine. Try finding one post about a Northstar failing due to a lubrication related issue (other than someone running it out if oil). You won't.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Synthetic fluids

Much ado about nothing ............... Whatever floats your boat.

Yes, All GM changed to DEXRON-VI in mid-2006 for all new and prior transmission servicing. FWIW, as far as GM is concerned, DEXRON-III is obsolete.

In today's average U.S. mileage driving, 100K is just over 5 - 6 years or so - and brake fluid simply LOVES to suck up moisture, so it makes good sense to do a complete brake flud exchange every 5 years or so.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Here we go again

This thread wasn't meant to relive what's the best brand or weight, it simply to see if there were up sides to synthetics. Mostly the question was about tranny and the differential and if there were actual differences. Not opinion..... Fact. NOT ABOUT MOTOR OIL.

I get it, it will make me feel better so I will be changing out the fluids.

Thx for the feedback.

There are thus far no opinions stated in this thread.

Correct/best trans fluid for your car - DEXRON VI, any brand.

Correct/best motor oil for your car - 5W-30, any type, any brand.

Go pick one and drive, the car will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    There are thus far no opinions stated in this thread.
    Life experience opinions was kinda what I was looking for.
    This thread is a lot like all the others, in which no opinions come.

Moving right along.....

----------

There are thus far no opinions stated in this thread. Correct/best trans fluid for your car - DEXRON VI, any brand. Correct/best motor oil for your car - 5W-30, any type, any brand. Go pick one and drive, the car will be fine.
    Thx though...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07
    Life experience opinions was kinda what I was looking for. This thread is a lot like all the others, in which no opinions come.

What are the benefits if any?
    This does not indicate you're looking for opinions.

This thread wasn't meant to relive what's the best brand or weight, it simply to see if there were up sides to synthetics. Mostly the question was about tranny and the differential and if there were actual differences. Not opinion..... Fact.
    This DEFINITELY indicates that you're not looking for opinions.

NOT ABOUT MOTOR OIL.
    Actually, you asked specifically, in post #1, about oil:

wondering if I should replace oil and tranny and diff fluid
    No idea which you're looking for, but why would you want opinions? My opinion is that going to the beach sucks... That doesn't mean going to the beach sucks.

Life experiences?? Why??? If you got 10 responses saying "I don't use synthetic and my car is fine", it would mean exactly nothing. If you got 10 responses saying "I use synthetic and my car is fine", it would be equally useless data.

Life experience with an automotive fluid: 4 of my cars have needed their radiators replaced. I used coolant in all of them. Coolant must be bad, don't use it.....
    bigm57ict likes this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    I've run synthetics like RedLine in transmission and differentials, a couple stockers but mainly modified or vehicles i really beat on. Didn't have any issues except cost up front. Occasionally I have run across situations where sythetics where noisier in trans/differential. Only ran one car with it in engine, I worked at a shop and got a deal on it. Is that enough of an opinion for ya?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    Life experience opinions was kinda what I was looking for.
    This thread is a lot like all the others, in which no opinions come.
    Considering the quality of opinions in the Lounge (particularly mine), consider yourself lucky.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Your car should already have DEX VI (synthetic) in it.

FYI

OEM GM DEXRON-VI is not synthetic contrary to internet myth. It is made from a blend of Group II and Group III base oils plus the additives package. A lubricant with any group II base oil cannot be called synthetic, at best its a synthetic blend, although GM makes no claim that it is in any of its packaging or literature. Every other lube they sell that is a full or synthetic blend they advertise as such, but not Dexron VI..

Heat and oxidation are the primary enemies of lubricants. Lubricants are built with consumables that are depleted over time so anyone who thinks that ATF will last forever is mistaken. Looks are not a determining factor in weather a lubricant is fit for continued use, only oil analysis can confirm its ok for continued use.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I use synthetics so I could put the stickers on my toolbox

All seriousness aside. I replaced my trans fluid with DEX VI because all the data says it's better - and I wanted to clean the pan and replace the filter. When I replaced my power steering pump I added an inline filter and Redline synthetic P/S fluid. I can't see that syn brake fluid has any advantage. I flush my system every year or so to remove moisture. In theory, the braided SS lines should give a firmer pedal.

This does not indicate you're looking for opinions. This DEFINITELY indicates that you're not looking for opinions. Actually, you asked specifically, in post #1, about oil: No idea which you're looking for, but why would you want opinions? My opinion is that going to the beach sucks... That doesn't mean going to the beach sucks. Life experiences?? Why??? If you got 10 responses saying "I don't use synthetic and my car is fine", it would mean exactly nothing. If you got 10 responses saying "I use synthetic and my car is fine", it would be equally useless data. Life experience with an automotive fluid: 4 of my cars have needed their radiators replaced. I used coolant in all of them. Coolant must be bad, don't use it.....
    Yet again I forget....you can't be vague on this forum. And yes I did mention oil but reference to opinion,it was a mis worded attempt to see what others were comfortable using.

Which is probably why I've asked this question 2or3 times in different ways not knowing how to put it. Or maybe I like the taste of shoe in my mouth... Not sure.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01
    I've run synthetics like RedLine in transmission and differentials, a couple stockers but mainly modified or vehicles i really beat on. Didn't have any issues except cost up front. Occasionally I have run across situations where sythetics where noisier in trans/differential. Only ran one car with it in engine, I worked at a shop and got a deal on it. Is that enough of an opinion for ya?
    Aaaaaa.....yup.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    Considering the quality of opinions in the Lounge (particularly mine), consider yourself lucky.
    I am beginning to realize such...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    I use synthetics so I could put the stickers on my toolbox All seriousness aside. I replaced my trans fluid with DEX VI because all the data says it's better - and I wanted to clean the pan and replace the filter. When I replaced my power steering pump I added an inline filter and Redline synthetic P/S fluid. I can't see that syn brake fluid has any advantage. I flush my system every year or so to remove moisture. In theory, the braided SS lines should give a firmer pedal.
    That's more less the answer that I was looking for. In all reality I just am looking for added protection, even a sound opinion is enough, technical... Not so much.

----------

Thx for the feedback AND the criticism.
    I don't think I'll be asking any fluid related question in the future.
    talismandave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic
    I can't see that syn brake fluid has any advantage.
    ALL brake fluid is synthetic.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    ALL brake fluid is synthetic.
    My bad. I really meant the urge to use higher DOT classes than recommended

DOT 2 190 C (374 F) 140 C (284 F) ? Castor oil/alcohol
    DOT 3 205 C (401 F) 140 C (284 F) 1500 mm2/s Glycol Ether
    DOT 4 230 C (446 F) 155 C (311 F) 1800 mm2/s Glycol Ether/Borate Ester
    DOT 5 260 C (500 F) 180 C (356 F) 900 mm2/s Silicone
    DOT 5.1 260 C (500 F) 180 C (356 F) 900 mm2/s Glycol Ether/Borate Ester

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.