How did you get to school?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
  • 1 Post By knotgoalie
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How did you get to school? in General Discussion; I remember looking cross eyed when a member of my parents generation would regale us with stories of the five ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

How did you get to school?

I remember looking cross eyed when a member of my parents generation would regale us with stories of the five mile , barefoot in the snow walks to school. In my dad's case, he was born and raised in Chicago, his elementary school travels were by sidewalk with leather shoes on his feet. However, his teenage years were spent on a ranch on the outskirts of Prescott, Arizona and he and his brothers really did ride a horse, a mules and a donkey to school. (he had some great stories about hunting mountain lions with the trusty family Airedales and the ranch hands from his family's property, but I digress).

In my own case, my elementary schools days were spent walking or riding my bike the half mile to school. Only hardship there was that my family lived on a steep hill which facilitated getting to school (good thing too!) but made coming home more arduous.

Unlike my wife, who road a school bus each way from her family's rural New Jersey home, I only had two brief periods when I road a bus.

However, that is not say my trips to and from school were lacking in some drama and during one period of real fun and adventure, when I first moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil back in 1955, my family rented a neat house that was designed by Oscar Neimeier (the same architect that design Brazil's capital Brasilia). The house was , at that time out in country, so I would be picked up every morning by my friends' father in chauffeur driven Chevi Sedan, who would drop us boys on the Bondi (what the city's streetcars were called) line where we would pick up a local that would take us to school. This all sounded just fine in theory, but the Bondi's ran really full at that hour of the day so you had to pick a spot on the running board for your foot and a purchase on a hand rail
    bar and sort of hike out (sailor talk) as the streetcar gathered speed swaying and wiggling its' way down the tracks. We would take this exhilarating ride to school each morning (coming home was less exciting cause you could actually, usually, sit down during non rush hours. Lots of un till my parents found out .... and signed me up to ride the school bus.

Here are a couple of pictures of streetcars we used to ride:

bonde3.jpg bonde4.jpg

While most of our transportation around the city was by taxi (very nicely kept 1946-47 Chevrolet Fleetlines or Ford Fordors, always black with custom dark red vinyl interiors ) or, when they weren't in use by our parents, the chauffeured sedans that were our parents. But I have to say during our vacations we could be caught exploring the city of Sao Paulo by Bondi, both the open kind (which we preferred) or the closed, larger ear 20th century enclosed street cars .... we never took the buses as they were diesel and stunk with fumes.

So, how did you get to school back when you were young?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: How did you get to school?

How the hell are we supposed to top that???

Walked or biked... Bus for K and 1st from way out in the sticks.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ I'll bet Koz or Sub can top that in spades! And I wouldn't sell some of younger members short either.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Nah, piece of cake here. Either biked or hiked the 7 blocks to Blessed Sacrament Elementary (Sacred Heart nuns) (after paper route). Bus and streetcar down into DC to St. John's (military high school - Christian Brothers). Drove the Morris Minor and an MG-TD to Catholic University (Jesuits and Marists). Did Am.Hist.Masters at U of SC part-time on sub patrols and drove from Charleston to Columbia for seminars, labs and exams in off-crew.

donwon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Sub, was I26 completed from Charleston to Columbia when you made those comutes?

I walked the 3 blocks to school. Sometimes in cloth hi top tennis shoes and sometimes in leather shoes.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep - got a speeding ticket to prove it. '67 Cougar HiPo, lime green metallic, black vinyl top. Duals and glasspacks. SC Smokeys loved it.

Go, Gamecocks !!!

U SC in '77-78-79
    Attached Images

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Walked mostly: only one block to elementary school; not quite 2 miles to junior high; and about 1 mile to high school. Northern New Jersey.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Walked up-hill, both ways.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

On nice days, a cherry red 69 Camaro!!! Tubed with cheater slicks, caged, 468 with a 1050 dominator burning cam2, 400 turbo on a brake. Raw, low 11s, laughing gas,,low 10s. That car turned heads, and we loved to get dropped off in it!!!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Mom or Dad drove me to school on their way to work when I was young, and I'd catch a ride home with one of my classmates or one of my older siblings, who were already driving. When I was a little older, I rode the bus part of the way home, then walked the rest of the way. Once I turned 16 and got my license, and never had to depend on anyone for transportation again.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I lived about 1/2 mile from the schoolhouse. We didn't have a car. My sister and I walked to school every day. There was no such thing as a snow day. School never shut down for weather no matter how cold it got. I walked to school in -66F weather. All the kids did. There were very few actual school buses. Most were contract carriers where somebody with a man haul would transport the neighborhood kids for a few dollars from the school board. Fairbanks was a small place and we had one school that was K through highschool. As the town grew more schools were built and bus routes added but you still had to live a mile or more from the school in order to ride them. I came home for lunch every day and my Mom would have it ready when I came through the door. My Mom went back to work when I started fourth grade so at that point I'd come home and fix my own lunch.

------------------------------------------------

In that day and age, car owners parked their cars for the winter except for doctors and emergency services. All the necessities of life were delivered by the shops. Groceries, meat and the like were a phone call away. A few of the upper crust had heated garages and drove but there was no where to go anyway as once the highways snowed in they were closed. Travel to the lower 48 was by railroad and steamship. The big leap forward in transportation was the development of the head bolt engine heater. A head bolt was removed from your engine and an electrical heating element was screwed in in its place. You could plug in your car and the engine would get warm enough to start. We had owned a '37 Buick with a bullet hole that had belonged to a U S Marshal but my folks had sold it during WWII. When the war was over and you could buy cars again my dad bought a new '47 Buick. My Mom drove that to work and my sister and I still walked to school. My junior year in high school my Dad died so we were on hard times and it was tough going keeping the car running. Eventually I got the residue from several old Ford pickups at an auction of military surplus and combined them all to make one that would run. By this time the '47 Buick had expired and it had been traded for a used '53 Buick that my mom drove.
    rodnok01 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

carpenter is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium

When I was little my sister and I rode the bus. Grew up in very rural WI and it was almost a 90 minute bus ride to school. We were the first ones on and the last ones off everyday. Long ride for us being only 8 miles from school. Sometimes in the winter I take the snowmobile and cut through the woods to a trial. It was then only 3 miles. Once I was 16 I drove. Started an '85 Chevy Cavalier, then an '87 Buick Skyhawk, '89 Mercury Tracer and then finally by my senior year (1993) I had a 1990 Geo Storm GSI which was a fun little car.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

before my parents sent me away to out of distric schools the first 2 schools i ever went to where local public schools i lived to close to the schools for the city's to bus me their they didn't pick up kids that lived with in 1 mile of the school lol so i walked road a bike
    got rides from the carpool soccer moms lol

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Usually by force

But hey, I turned out alright...I even drive a Cadillac don't ya' know!

J.R.
    orconn likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.