"Bustle Back" Seville wiil it ever find favor with collectors?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, "Bustle Back" Seville wiil it ever find favor with collectors? in General Discussion; Many call it ugly and most would agree that it is the ultimate in "kitsch," are we talking about the ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

"Bustle Back" Seville wiil it ever find favor with collectors?

Many call it ugly and most would agree that it is the ultimate in "kitsch," are we talking about the second generation Seville ..... or the 1959 Cadillac?

Today nice second generation Sevilles can be had for very little money and are quite plentiful 9in certain used car markets. Like the '59 Cadillac, which was disdained and look down upon as truly over the top "kitsch" in its' day. Laughed at for its' "jeweled can opener" tail fins, its' "jeweled" but very vulnerable tail lights and bumper mounted parking lights. The '59's quickly became the pariahs of the used car lots as American taste turned more subdued in the sixties.

I wonder if the second generation Seville will find the same kind of popularity as a collector car as its' earlier cousin has on the current market. Certainly these early eighties Sevilles had unique styling (the only American production car to copy British bespoke Rolls Royce/Daimler coach work). They were decently fitted out and comfortable and certainly stood and stand out in crowd.

Do you guys who frequent car shows see many of these Sevilles on display at these shows?

rolls seville lookalike.jpg bustle back seville.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: "Bustle Back" Seville wiil it ever find favor with collectors?

I like the slantback!!

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

The car evokes so many emotions all at one time. So beautiful. so classic, so luxurious, so, so, so what? At the end of the day you still have a Malibu with a growth on the trunklid and more toys to break. The car is for me a bittersweet memory, because they hold a place in time, a "remember when" of the marque along with the "what were you thinking to try and bring that back?"

J.R.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by knotgoalie View Post
    The car evokes so many emotions all at one time. So beautiful. so classic, so luxurious, so, so, so what? At the end of the day you still have a Malibu with a growth on the trunklid and more toys to break. The car is for me a bittersweet memory, because they hold a place in time, a "remember when" of the marque along with the "what were you thinking to try and bring that back?"
    J.R.
    I agree... I drove one for a while, def a love hate relationship. Was an excellent idea that the rest of the car fell short supporting IMO. Still I'd probably buy one now...

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    It's like the V coupe. It's so polarizing, I never stop to think if I like it or not...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The following for this car grows all the time. It stands out as a bold shape in a sea of bland rectangles, even if it isn't very pretty.

Yeah, I have a feeling that some years down the road the old second generation "Bustle Back" Sevilles will be the 1959 Cadillac for collectors.

As far as being pretty, look at some of the monstrocities like the Figoni and Falaschi Delahayes of the thirties and after war forties that bring pretty good money these days. And a lot of other "un-pretty" cars that are sought after, hell, many of the Ferraris that the car investors love to spend money on are pretty ugly too.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I always loved the shape. Its too bad 95% of them came with a steaming pile of dog sh!t under the hood. Why oh why didn't they stick with the same fuel injected Olds 350 they used in the 75-80 model cars . . .

77CDV is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I always loved the shape. Its too bad 95% of them came with a steaming pile of dog sh!t under the hood. Why oh why didn't they stick with the same fuel injected Olds 350 they used in the 75-80 model cars . . .
    And there you have the main reason why these cars will forever be special interest vehicles as opposed to bona fide collectibles. Except for 1980 with the 368, this generation of Seville was saddled with troublesome, weak-kneed engines and transmissions, and in 1981, technology that wasn't ready for prime time. I'd rock one, but it would get an engine and transmission transplant to a Chevy 350 with a TH425. Or it would have to be a 1980 model.

Corey468 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

A couple of weeks ago, I found one of these parked at the place where I was interning for the summer. Never seen one in person before, so it definitely was a peculiar look. The front end looked like a normal 80's Cadillac and the back end... I don't know. In any event, I caught the guy who owned it one morning and chatted with him for a bit. He said it was an '81. On the side it had the V8-6-4 badge. Not sure if they'll ever be collectable but they are definitely unique.

77CDV likes this.

Henskelly1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac DTS, 1986 and 1970 Fleetwood 75 series Limos
    I personally have always loved the 80-85 seville, as far as body design goes. It was one of the first if not THE first Cadillac I can ever remember riding in (I was born in 85, my grandfather, a longtime Cadillac owner, had a black one in the late 80s, I remember loving that car and being heartbroken when I witnessed someone run a stop sign and plow right into it. Car was totalled but grandpa was fine. I was about 3 years old. I cried my eyes out for my papa AND the car!!)

I hope to find a decent one one of these days to add to my collection, I bought one a few years ago but it had a bad frame. Everything else on the car was amazing, and I had checked the frame before I bought, but I must have missed a spot. People/mechanics thought on first sight it had to be a southern car based on how clean and rust free the car was! My father has turned the frame and engine into the base for his rat rod pickup truck. He gets a lot of strange looks when he tells people it's FWD and powered by the infamous HT4100 engine!

I think they will end up being somewhat collectible, but it'll be harder and harder to find ones in decent shape. Gotta grab one myself before all the nice ones are gone. Just hoping for a little old lady to sell hers for a song someday! As long as it's black, or silver/grey, or maybe blue. Mine was red with white top and white leather inside. Nice, but I'd prefer darker colours.

And they weren't the *only* American car with the bustle back look, the Lincoln Continental from the early 80s looks very similar. (The plain old Conti, not the Mark VI, though the Mark VI is the ONLY Lincoln I have a soft spot for today, hope to pick one of those up as well some day. Had one when I was 18, miss her terribly!)

Will it ever be as iconic as the 1959s? Probably not, but as far as truly unique Cadillac design goes, whether good or bad, the 80-85 Seville is definitely in the same class as the 59s.

Wonder if my 86 Fleetwood 75 series will ever be looked upon favorably by the collector car gods? Now that's a long shot...
    77CDV and orconn like this.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Corey468 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I found one of these parked at the place where I was interning for the summer. Never seen one in person before, so it definitely was a peculiar look. The front end looked like a normal 80's Cadillac and the back end... I don't know. In any event, I caught the guy who owned it one morning and chatted with him for a bit. He said it was an '81. On the side it had the V8-6-4 badge. Not sure if they'll ever be collectable but they are definitely unique.
    Jeez your car is 10 feet longer
    Both look good to me...
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henskelly1960 View Post
    I personally have always loved the 80-85 seville, as far as body design goes. It was one of the first if not THE first Cadillac I can ever remember riding in (I was born in 85, my grandfather, a longtime Cadillac owner, had a black one in the late 80s, I remember loving that car and being heartbroken when I witnessed someone run a stop sign and plow right into it. Car was totalled but grandpa was fine. I was about 3 years old. I cried my eyes out for my papa AND the car!!)

I hope to find a decent one one of these days to add to my collection, I bought one a few years ago but it had a bad frame. Everything else on the car was amazing, and I had checked the frame before I bought, but I must have missed a spot. People/mechanics thought on first sight it had to be a southern car based on how clean and rust free the car was! My father has turned the frame and engine into the base for his rat rod pickup truck. He gets a lot of strange looks when he tells people it's FWD and powered by the infamous HT4100 engine!

I think they will end up being somewhat collectible, but it'll be harder and harder to find ones in decent shape. Gotta grab one myself before all the nice ones are gone. Just hoping for a little old lady to sell hers for a song someday! As long as it's black, or silver/grey, or maybe blue. Mine was red with white top and white leather inside. Nice, but I'd prefer darker colours.

And they weren't the *only* American car with the bustle back look, the Lincoln Continental from the early 80s looks very similar. (The plain old Conti, not the Mark VI, though the Mark VI is the ONLY Lincoln I have a soft spot for today, hope to pick one of those up as well some day. Had one when I was 18, miss her terribly!)

Will it ever be as iconic as the 1959s? Probably not, but as far as truly unique Cadillac design goes, whether good or bad, the 80-85 Seville is definitely in the same class as the 59s.

Wonder if my 86 Fleetwood 75 series will ever be looked upon favorably by the collector car gods? Now that's a long shot...
    The 1981 Chrysler Imperial was also a take off on the "Bustle Back" design

'81 imperial.png

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

They just turn into pimp-mobiles around here.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    And there you have the main reason why these cars will forever be special interest vehicles as opposed to bona fide collectibles. Except for 1980 with the 368, this generation of Seville was saddled with troublesome, weak-kneed engines and transmissions, and in 1981, technology that wasn't ready for prime time. I'd rock one, but it would get an engine and transmission transplant to a Chevy 350 with a TH425. Or it would have to be a 1980 model.
    ^^^ What about the '36-'37 "Coffin Nose" Cords which had bad engines and worse transmissions and still became prime collector cars. Many think Jaguar XJS V-12 will become collector cars despite their troublesome drive trains.

On the other hand I have never known why the '53-'54 Studebaker coupes, one of the great designs of the fifities IMO, never gained a strong collector following. Most of them have been destroyed being made into hotrods.

I will never understand the insane popularity of the '57 Chevy when the both the '55 and '56 were so much better looking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.