Good "full size" Cadillac daily driver ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Good "full size" Cadillac daily driver ? in General Discussion; A newbie to the forum would appreciate recommendations for highly reliable, comfortable large(full-size) cadillac anywhere from 1990-recent. i'm currently driving ...
    DayRadebaugh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Good "full size" Cadillac daily driver ?

A newbie to the forum would appreciate recommendations for highly reliable, comfortable large(full-size) cadillac anywhere from 1990-recent. i'm currently driving a '93 buick park ave, starting to get a little long in the tooth. but i appreciate large vehicles--i need the room. i want to plan ahead and would like to start scouting around for used caddies in wichita area. my daily commute is about 40 mi, and i don't worry terribly about mileage, but i'd like to be able to get 150-200K from the vehicle. front or rear-wheel drive doesn't matter, just comfort for big people and reliability.

thanks for the advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Most reliable BIG caddy

96 Fleetwood of course, but I am a bit biased....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Find a 2006 or later "DTS" on a dealer lot and do some tire kicking. That model took over when Deville was discontinued and is available in several trim and performance levels. Many of the re-badged crossovers and SUVs are simply horrible on gas.

Some of the 90s land yachts are a great looking/riding car, but all are getting long in the tooth UNLESS owned by a fanatic, and those are not for sale.

ANY Cadillac on a front lawn or at the Korner Kar Korral is suspect. Don't waste your time.
    77CDV likes this.

submariner:

why 2006+ dts? what engine did they use? are they as big inside as the old 90's era broughams?

i happen to live in a town with a large older population, and i believe i see these 2006-era dts's all over the place. we had a cadillac dealer here, and he must have sold a bunch of them locally.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The later "DTS" uses a last-generation 4.6 Northstar 32V DOHC engine, calibrated to run on premium E10 fuels. It is not as "big" as the Devilles or earlier FWBs.

Ultimate mileage faithfulness depends on luck and how often you open the hood to perform normal condition and fluid level checks - as in any other motor vehicle. NEVER let a Cadillac scream "Help!" through the DIC - if it does, it's your fault.
    77CDV likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Good "full size" Cadillac daily driver ?

You can still find some of the old RWD Broughams/Fleetwoods with decently low mileage in good condition, esp here in sunny SoCal. Strong, proven engines and very comfortable cruisers. In the FWD models, any of the 1989-1995 Devilles/Fleetwoods with the 4.5L or 4.9L V8 are fine, reliable cars. Though not as large outside as the older RWD models, the interior space and comfort compare favorably. The Northstar-equipped cars are a pleasure to drive, but be prepared for substantial maintenance costs when something goes wrong. 2006 and newer DTSs are supposed to be more reliable than earlier versions of the Northstar. Like Sub said, fanatical maintenance is the key to these cars' longevity.

Good luck in your search.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Welcome to the Forums. Hope you find the Cadillac you are looking for.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    You can still find some of the old RWD Broughams/Fleetwoods with decently low mileage in good condition, esp here in sunny SoCal. Strong, proven engines and very comfortable cruisers. In the FWD models, any of the 1989-1995 Devilles/Fleetwoods with the 4.5L or 4.9L V8 are fine, reliable cars. Though not as large outside as the older RWD models, the interior space and comfort compare favorably. The Northstar-equipped cars are a pleasure to drive, but be prepared for substantial maintenance costs when something goes wrong. 2006 and newer DTSs are supposed to be more reliable than earlier versions of the Northstar. Like Sub said, fanatical maintenance is the key to these cars' longevity.

Good luck in your search.
    Good advice. Since you live in the rust belt, make sure if you do buy one of the old RWD, body on frame cars, be sure to put it on a lift and poke around before you pluck down your hard earned $$$$. This was my 1995 Fleetwood, had 60k miles on it when I sold it. Was originally from Michigan(I bought it off a guy in Houston, assumed it was from there, blah blah blah). Great paint, straight body, immaculate interior, great color combo. Underside, especially the frame where the steering box bolted to it, looked like the Titantic. It felt solid, but you could peel flakes of rust off with a flat blade screwdriver.

If you have the $$$$, spring for a 2006+ DTS. I'd just avoid anything older than that with a Northstar engine. You might also look at a CTS or a 05-12 STS, both of those could be had with AWD, the STS AWD and V8. Both are probably smaller than what you want though. BTW, RWD Northstar in the STS or XLR is actually a really good motor, complete redesign from the ones in earlier FWD cars that blew headgaskets.

guys:

many thanks for the advice. i'm all too aware of the rust belt issues; my buick park ave ('93) is from michigan. every time i go over a serious bump, i pray that the underbody will hold together one last time. the 3800 engine in that thing is a real winner.

i've concluded that one of the 90's land yacht broughams would suit me fine, if they can be found. since i'm in no immediate need, i'll start the process of looking now. plan B will be to tire-kick the 2006+ DTS. my casual reading of the history and spex of the northstar engine, over its life cycle, portrays a fairly sophisticated engine. it sounds reasonable to me that the later variants might have some of the major bugs worked out. as you fellas say, however, it's the maintenance history that tells the tale. as for size, i'll just have to climb into one of these things and see how it fits.

tonyb71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS
    I am enjoying my '06 DTS. Plenty of room with very comfortable seats. The drive is supple but gives you a connection to the road. The steering wheel provides nice road feedback without feeling stiff.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Simple, large, traditional Cadillac - Fleetwood.

If you like bells and whistles, go with the DTS. They do cost more to maintain, but it's not a reliability problem, there's just a whole lot more there to break.

As far as the Northsrar is concerned, they're extremely reliable engines. Several hundred thousand miles is very possible, assuming the rest of the car is taken care of.

Between the two, if take the Fleetwood.

----------

BTW,

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I can't give you a single reason why the 90's Brougham wouldn't be a perfect fit for what you described.

I have an 87 version, same basic body, less powerful engine with less MPG.
    Ride quality is sublime, handling is competent, and with the better engine and engine management systems, it should be a great car.
    Would not be a bit afraid of the 06 and up N*. They are a great engine and have been fixed to give good service if cared for and thrashed regularly.
    I agree with MC, I would worry more about the other expensive and complicated systems they, and to a lesser extent, all newer cars have.
    The 06 and up also got a design refresh that made them, IMO, a much more handsome car.
    Good luck. Have fun shopping. and

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

The newest Fleetwood is now almost 20 years old. Big and comfortable - yes. A reliable daily driver - you're rolling the dice, no matter how low the miles. Cars age, and that can't be stopped. Going with one of the two options presented, I would trust the newer DTS over a Fleetwood. On top of that, the DTS is better equipped and more spacious.
    ben.gators likes this.

you guys have effectively sorted me out, and i'm very grateful. i'm not afraid of one of the old whales (fleetwoods)--i'm driving a 22 year old car on long trips now. if they conk out, you fix them. as a retiree, you don't run on tight schedules, so if you break down, you find a motel and get er fixed. i think the issue with these is their availability; they're probably pretty rare at low miles, but worth looking for.

i will definitely look at the 2006+ dts, well maintained. i might actually find one of these at the local dealer. as i mentioned, they sold a ton of these, and some of the old folks probably took them to the dealer regularly for maintenance.

this is a nice forum--

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

My 2 cents?
    [QUOTE=MrHolland;12889729]96 Fleetwood of course, but I am a bit biased....QUOTE]
    Good pick there.
    1993–1996 Fleetwood with the 5.7 L LT1 V8
    Or
    1994-1995 Deville with the 4.9 engine.
    They made there final improvements to the 4.9 and transmission before it's demise. So I would lean towards 1995.
    GM was trying real hard to improve there image in the early 90's.
    The Vehicles they produced display this.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DayRadebaugh View Post
    you guys have effectively sorted me out, and i'm very grateful. i'm not afraid of one of the old whales (fleetwoods)--i'm driving a 22 year old car on long trips now. if they conk out, you fix them. as a retiree, you don't run on tight schedules, so if you break down, you find a motel and get er fixed. i think the issue with these is their availability; they're probably pretty rare at low miles, but worth looking for.

i will definitely look at the 2006+ dts, well maintained. i might actually find one of these at the local dealer. as i mentioned, they sold a ton of these, and some of the old folks probably took them to the dealer regularly for maintenance.

this is a nice forum--
    From this post I would say.
    After 1996 they became overly complicated and can be difficult to deal with.
    OBD II has advantages but it brought a raft of new challenges with it.
    Stick with the pre 1996 models.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.