Cadillac fear...never seen it before
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By amunderdog
  • 2 Post By Aztec ETC ECS
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac fear...never seen it before in General Discussion; I was out about an hour ago helping my neighbour get his pickup ready for a long haul running diagnostic ...
    knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Cadillac fear...never seen it before

I was out about an hour ago helping my neighbour get his pickup ready for a long haul running diagnostic codes with my reader and he started in about how he liked my car and that he had never been in a Cadillac in his life. I offered a ride and he was all for it until...I told him I had already downed a beer and a half but he was welcome to drive (he does not drink) if he liked. "No, no no, I can't, not a Cadillac"...WTF?

For some reason it just gave him fits and he couldn't get behind the wheel of that car for fear of destroying something if he so much as put his butt in the seat...I kept saying "what? its just a car right?" I have to admit, I felt a bit of the same thing the first time I drove a Rolls but I was young and didn't display outright panic at the prospect.

Just how are our cars viewed by some folks that have never experienced one as either passenger or driver? Is the Cadillac still the elite mystery that they were in days gone by? In some cases it would seem so. Myself, I enjoy the comfy, inexpensive ride that someone else paid the premium to own new...thanks

J.R.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: Cadillac fear...never seen it before

I am usually that way towards fords.
    I hear the newer ones are better.
    I will probably never know
    Kad4Life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    I am usually that way towards fords.
    I hear the newer ones are better.
    I will probably never know
    Hey, my F150 has been very good to me.

J.R.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think your neighbor is a tad over the edge.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I've seen it but as my Uncle said when handing me keys to a brand new Lincoln to drive around the lot when I was 14.... it's just a car treat them all the same, with respect.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I think your neighbor is a tad over the edge.
    This. I could see some hesitation if it was a quarter million dollar Lambo or Ferrari, where you could tear the front of it off leaving your driveway, or turn into somebody because of the huge blind spots.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by knotgoalie View Post
    he liked my car and that he had never been in a Cadillac in his life. I offered a ride
    talismandave and knotgoalie like this.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Maybe he is afraid of the Terminator!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

There was a time when ownership of certain cars tended separated their owners from the rest of "ordinary" Americans. An owner of a Cadillac was seen as an "owner" while the rest were just "renters." Whether the reality of the Cadillac owners financial and social position really bore this out was irrelevant.

I remember my dad (he was a vice president of RCA) saying "buy a Cadillac and get fired" (and this was true in the early 1950's. Avery good family friend who was a very successful and prominent corporate attorney in Los Angeles told me when I was a little kid "that you shouldn't drive a better car than client drives." So even men of this socio-economic status (top of the top 2%) felt that a Cadillac was a status symbol that they weary of possessing. At the time a defacto class system (despite the verbal denial of most middle class Americans) was very much in effect. Mid-westerners were very vocal in their denial of this situation, but in fact adhered to the same rules as those who openly followed the rules that this system dictated. By the eighties education, higher pay for middle class jobs, and easier credit and much lower federal income taxes allowed a broader spectrum of middle class families to obtain status symbols they couldn't afford before. Home ownership was now possible for people with middle class incomes, even swimming pools began to appear in yards behind tract homes .... and many more Cadillacs were being sold to people of much more moderate means than had been the case in 1950's. Eventually this accessibility devalued the prestige of Cadillac ownership.

I think Cadillac fear" is a holdover from the era when Cadillac ownership was reserved for the few. Back in the late 1970's I had some people ell me that Cadillac owners were arrogant and disrespectful of other people on the road (very similar to what one hears about BMW drivers today). Of course this stereo type of the Cadillac driver really wasn't true (although I am sure there were many examples).

I really hadn't run into this phenomenon for several decades until we were lending my wife's Seville to my daughter in law while we used her SUV to move some stuff. She absolutely refused to drive the Cadillac. She wouldn't give a reason for this refusal but steadfastly stood by her refusal. Even though she later got a BMW of her own, she still carries an intense dislike of Cadillacs. The only reason I can think of is that growing up in the sticks of Virginia and voicing many thoughts and ideas that would be consistent with pre-W.W. II American thinking and beliefs that she consciously or unconsciously holds these antiquated social ideas to be true. Despite achieving a law degree and high socio-economic status she still carries so many of the prejudices that were common to the lower middle class of many decades ago. To this day she refuses to let her husband buy a Cadillac (not a problem because he doesn't want on anyway).

I think that people who still carry this "Cadillac phobia" really are the Rip Van Winkles of today, not realizing the new reality of what constitutes prestige symbols today, but carrying beliefs that were prevalent long before they were born.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    There was a time when ownership of certain cars tended separated their owners from the rest of "ordinary" Americans. An owner of a Cadillac was seen as an "owner" while the rest were just "renters." Whether the reality of the Cadillac owners financial and social position really bore this out was irrelevant.

I remember my dad (he was a vice president of RCA) saying "buy a Cadillac and get fired" (and this was true in the early 1950's. Avery good family friend who was a very successful and prominent corporate attorney in Los Angeles told me when I was a little kid "that you shouldn't drive a better car than client drives." So even men of this socio-economic status (top of the top 2%) felt that a Cadillac was a status symbol that they weary of possessing. At the time a defacto class system (despite the verbal denial of most middle class Americans) was very much in effect. Mid-westerners were very vocal in their denial of this situation, but in fact adhered to the same rules as those who openly followed the rules that this system dictated. By the eighties education, higher pay for middle class jobs, and easier credit and much lower federal income taxes allowed a broader spectrum of middle class families to obtain status symbols they couldn't afford before. Home ownership was now possible for people with middle class incomes, even swimming pools began to appear in yards behind tract homes .... and many more Cadillacs were being sold to people of much more moderate means than had been the case in 1950's. Eventually this accessibility devalued the prestige of Cadillac ownership.

I think Cadillac fear" is a holdover from the era when Cadillac ownership was reserved for the few. Back in the late 1970's I had some people ell me that Cadillac owners were arrogant and disrespectful of other people on the road (very similar to what one hears about BMW drivers today). Of course this stereo type of the Cadillac driver really wasn't true (although I am sure there were many examples).

I really hadn't run into this phenomenon for several decades until we were lending my wife's Seville to my daughter in law while we used her SUV to move some stuff. She absolutely refused to drive the Cadillac. She wouldn't give a reason for this refusal but steadfastly stood by her refusal. Even though she later got a BMW of her own, she still carries an intense dislike of Cadillacs. The only reason I can think of is that growing up in the sticks of Virginia and voicing many thoughts and ideas that would be consistent with pre-W.W. II American thinking and beliefs that she consciously or unconsciously holds these antiquated social ideas to be true. Despite achieving a law degree and high socio-economic status she still carries so many of the prejudices that were common to the lower middle class of many decades ago. To this day she refuses to let her husband buy a Cadillac (not a problem because he doesn't want on anyway).

I think that people who still carry this "Cadillac phobia" really are the Rip Van Winkles of today, not realizing the new reality of what constitutes prestige symbols today, but carrying beliefs that were prevalent long before they were born.
    A very engaging and astute response orconn. I get the razz from guys I work with who only know my old F150 but they don't know that before I needed the truck it was Cadillac for me. I think you nailed my neighbour as well...to him the "idea" of owning a Cadillac is unobtainium (even though it isn't but why try to bust his belief now) and to him it is that "degree apart". He will never own one. Foolish? Yes but it isn't my job to cure him of it.

Edit: I must clarify that I live in a very small town where for some years I ran an antiques retail store and only see on a daily basis 3 Devilles of varying ages (I have the only DHS in the area and my licence plate reads the name of the town), a Maserati owned by the local drug dealer (the guy that owns the pharmacy) and a Rolls/Bently duo owned by David Chapman of Chapman's Ice Cream. For the most part it is 4x4 pickup/rusty small cars here. Most of the visiting high end cars seen here in town get that,"you're not from around here are you" look.

J.R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.