Based on your own lifelong history/experience can you tell me what is..."Supper Time"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Aron9000
  • 2 Post By 01ssreda4
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Based on your own lifelong history/experience can you tell me what is..."Supper Time" in General Discussion; All walks, all talks and cultures treat the evening meal differently...some with tradition and some with McDonalds. Many families share ...
    knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Question Based on your own lifelong history/experience can you tell me what is..."Supper Time"

All walks, all talks and cultures treat the evening meal differently...some with tradition and some with McDonalds. Many families share an evening meal together yet their numbers are heavily tempered by the "I'll get something while I'm out" crowd.

How do you remember it? You know, from when you were a kid and mom would outdo herself on a daily basis to keep the army fed (I'm the oldest of seven) or the chow downs with my Italian grandparents from which you could not escape without a trunkful of food to take home. Early adult years are often riddled with lessons on how not to start fires with food and the cuisine matures from there as one does themself.

Food on the table at 5pm, 6,7,8? I got used to a routine of anytime between 6~7pm as a kid but have over the years honed that routine to a very strict rule of "whenever"

This could be interesting. Food is a more sacred and volatile topic than either religion or politics...but is allowed.

J.R.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Based on your own lifelong history/experience can you tell me what is..."Supper T

Depending on the year, the people, the circumstances and tradition it can vary from about 5 PM to 9 PM local time. "Dinner" is never hurried or overly orchestrated.

Mom & Dad ate at ~8 PM (but when he was late, so was dinner)
    Navy chow was at 1740 - 5:40 PM (6 hour watch schedule)
    On liberty or vacation it was any time that you damn well pleased.
    Karen and I plan dinner at anywhere from 6 to 9 PM depending on company, food type and circumstances.
    Highway food is slugged down as the opportunity arises.
    Prime rib comes off the grille when it is ready.
    Steak is carefully planned.
    ........ so is fish.
    In Napoli we ate at 10 PM.
    Local restaurant meals are planned to avoid the "rush".

Someone please uncork the Cabernet................

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Based on your own lifelong history/experience can you tell me what is..."Supper T

Growing up, dinner was served when Dad got home, usually around 7:30 or 8:00, depending on traffic. Mom insisted that we eat as a family, thus the late hour. Now, I eat whenever I get home, which varies depending on my work schedule.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Well the name of the meal depends on what part of the state of Tennessee you are in, at least that has been my observation . . .

Breakfast is always early, its that meal you eat when you wake up and before you go to work. My grandparents generation, there was always a meat served at this meal, sausage, country ham, bacon. You might also get an egg or perhaps an omelet served at this meal. There was usually some sort of fruit or veggie served from the garden at this time, since grandpa was an avid gardner. Blueberrys, blackberrys, black raspberrys, watermelon, cantelope, bananas, pineapple, cherrys, my grandpa had an absolutely voracious appetite at breakfast. That man could eat an entire cantelope or watermellon for breakfast, along with an egg or two and some bacon.

If you were in east Tennessee, Dinner time is between 11:00am to about 1:30pm, Supper is 5:30 to about 7:00pm.

Funny thing is if you are in Middle Tennessee, Lunch is between 11:00am to about 1:30pm, Dinner is about 6:00pm to 8:00pm. At least that's been my observations growing up with two different generations in two very different parts of the state.
    knotgoalie likes this.

01ssreda4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS VIN 9

We ate fast food mostly growing up, and never at the table. Now, at my house, we cook a lot and eat at the table frequently. You don't have to follow what your taught, you can teach yourself new/better stuff.
    77CDV and orconn like this.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Have always ate early dinners since a kid, around 5-530. Almost never ate out as a kid and still rarely do. I don't eat much for breakfast or lunch (usually too busy) so end up hungry by 5. Possibly if we worked normal 8 to 5 hrs we would eat out more but doubt it, I turn into a 3 headed monster when I get overly hungry so I time dinner appropriately and waiting at a restaurant for food tries my patience too much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.