Really, what was your impetus to buy Cadillac? C'mon, the truth. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Really, what was your impetus to buy Cadillac? C'mon, the truth. in General Discussion; Wanted a e38 740 for a first car, called my dad to ask him what happened and he said I ...
    eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Wanted a e38 740 for a first car, called my dad to ask him what happened and he said I bought a Cadillac. next day I spent the whole day inside the car listening to the radio and fiddling around with everything, I was 14. Now I drive it everyday with pride, I'm 16 almost 17.
    Now I have OCD (obsessive Cadillac disorder) I go on the forums everyday and just read.
    77CDV and knotgoalie like this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Re: Really, what was your impetus to buy Cadillac? C'mon, the truth.

A friend of mine had a crazy dream about me driving around in a big green Cadillac. It became a running joke, but I seriously started looking at Cadillacs after that. It made me want one, all that talk about them. I bought a big hulking rustpile of an '84 Coupe DeVille when I was 15 and have loved the brand ever since. (Fortunately the '84 I have now is a whole lot nicer than the first one!)

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt
    A friend of mine had a crazy dream about me driving around in a big green Cadillac. It became a running joke, but I seriously started looking at Cadillacs after that. It made me want one, all that talk about them. I bought a big hulking rustpile of an '84 Coupe DeVille when I was 15 and have loved the brand ever since. (Fortunately the '84 I have now is a whole lot nicer than the first one!)
    Lol, must have been my dream.

Just moved to some very inexpensive apartments on the water. One of the other tenants had this old cadillac parked in the same place for some time. Now, I had not owned many cars yet (new driver), the silly oversized boat with wings no less appealed to me. So, for 500 dollars, I became the proud owner of this!. As luck would have it, the only mechanical problem was that the heater/ ac switch was broken. I remember going to Wayne Stead Cadillac in Walnut Creek ( before inventories were computerized I suspect ), as was told, not a chance, part has not been made for some time.

To their credit, the parts guy said he would check anyway. 10 min later, he came back with a very faded dusty box with the blue banded GM label, stating that he could not believe it, but had this exact switch. No price update at the time, so I paid $3.27 for a crome-laden, silver contact 4- position switch, that these guys had in inventory for 20 years.

It was this lucky parts find that actually endeared me to the brand. The ride of that '63 was great, the way the trunk catch pulled the large trunk down softly, was so damm neat, I would show it to my work friends. I Think the engine was a 390, but the trans was actually a 4-speed auto, with a insane overdrive...where the freeway RPMs would drop to around 1600 on the freeway - resulting in more freeway milage than I could ever realize ( not that it really mattered in 1981 )

Ended up selling three years later, but found a 76 CDV when the gas prices were going up...yup a green one. Yet, I would still love to find that first one. It is something that I occasionally dream about!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Couldn't have cared less and NEVER saw myself driving the donkey dung Cadillac seemed to produce when I was a kid.

Always wanted an M5 from the time they were first made. The V1 was my answer. At 60% the price. And it ended up being 100% the car. I'm glad I bought in in Cadillac's golden era...

Guido2014 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUXURY II

This is our second Caddy, we had a 71 Sedan Deville in the 70's. I need the soft ride for my back. I also was at the doctors and saw a guy struggle to exit a CTS and I knew I made the right decision in buying a DTS. I also think of myself as a Cadillac type of guy, and like the looks I get too....
    MVI_0560-013.jpg
    77CDV likes this.

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

The short version is the '91 STS was supposed to replace my '06 Grand Prix. The way things worked out, and while it was kind of a dark period for me with my mother passing in '09, I was able to keep both. I was in a bit of a tough spot financially the year prior and needed the cash from the GP for a cushion. From what I had seen for sale in the $3.5-4K range locally, I knew I was destined for something newer and fuel efficient but with at least 150K miles and starting to rust (Michigan here) or I could go older, likely out of state and still in nice shape. I went the older in nice shape route. And then I went for rare and in nice shape.

Enter the first gen ('88-'91) STS. Through my research on here, the 4.9L seemed to prove reliable and most of the other stuff was mainly still available, if not from the dealer. In the back of my head, a '91 STS was always there. I loved them when I was a teenager...all that wood, all that leather, the great carpet, the aspirational handling and power...it was an intoxicating mix. So in '07 or early '08, I started seriously looking. It wasn't until August of '08 that I found a good one. But it was in Cedar Rapids, IA...a 500+ mile drive from home. I called and talked to an older gentleman. Everything checked out or at least sounded the way I wanted it to sound. I made arrangements with him to show up the upcoming weekend to look at it.

Wow, the car was small compared to the GP. I couldn't sit "behind myself." But I still loved it. It was faster than the GP, it had just enough room up front and it was vintage cool. I made arrangements and left a deposit and told the old gentleman I'd be by the following weekend to pick it up. After enlisting the help of a good friend, we picked it up. And somewhere early in Illinois, a fuel injector decided to go. That last half of the drive was awful...the car was shaking, stuttering and sputtering but over 80mph, it wasn't as bad. After that initial teething, it's been much loved. I really do love this car...I smile every time I drive it. And I especially love taking unsuspecting drivers by surprise. I hate to admit it but it makes me drive like a douche...it just begs to show all the cars it can that IT CAN. Oh you think you can make the merge in 300-400 ft. in your Cobalt SS? No, I think not. You just got dusted by Cadillac torque that's 20 years older than your car. C-ya!
    77CDV likes this.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    Is 1991 STS that fast? I never have driven one, that's why I am asking. I am assuming that your previous Grand Prix was a base model with a NA 3.8 liter V6. I had a Buick Regal with the same powertrain, and those cars could do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds. Online databases say that the '91 STS does 0-60 in 8.5 seconds. So a base Grand prix shouldn't be slower than the '91 STS, at least in theory.

My favorite statistic is this: the 4.9L makes more torque idling than the 3.8L does at peak. Think about that a sec...it has immense pull from the start, but unfortunately, it doesn't pull any faster as the revs build so it runs out of breath. That's why it's said a 4.9L will be faster than a N* off the line up til 30mph or so since the N* continues to build speed. Same thing happened with a 3.6L CTS a few years ago...I beat him off the line but he pulled right off after 20-30. It helps that the STS/ETC had the 3.33 final drive ratio. The standard Seville/Eldo had 2.97 I believe. A '91-'93 Deville Touring Sedan only had the 2.97 final drive vs. the standard Deville/Fleetwood's 2.77 (which my Fleetwood has--there's a HUGE difference in feel). My STS is at about 7.5 seconds 0-60 (vid is my actual car).

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by delerium75 View Post
    My favorite statistic is this: the 4.9L makes more torque idling than the 3.8L does at peak. Think about that a sec...it has immense pull from the start, but unfortunately, it doesn't pull any faster as the revs build so it runs out of breath. That's why it's said a 4.9L will be faster than a N* off the line up til 30mph or so since the N* continues to build speed. Same thing happened with a 3.6L CTS a few years ago...I beat him off the line but he pulled right off after 30. It helps that the STS/ETC had the 3.33 final drive ratio. The standard Seville/Eldo had 2.97 I believe. A '91-'93 Deville Touring Sedan only had the 2.97 final drive vs. the standard Deville/Fleetwood's 2.77 (which my Fleetwood has--there's a HUGE difference in feel). My STS is at about 7.5 seconds 0-60 (vid is my actual car).
    WOW! That 0-30 is scary! It was still good till 40. But as you said it runs out of breath. I see why you like this old guy! Is there any special mod for this 4.9 engine? A better intake, headers, etc.?
    N*'s low end torque is not good at all, especially in the STS or ETS models. However, at higher revs and speeds N* would be a totally different beast. My STS could do 60MPH-80MPH in an eye blink.

It's a good car for point and shoot traffic and holds its own, even after 23 years. As far as I know, there's basically nothing for 4.X cars. About the best one can hope for is finding a tranny with the 3.33 final drive...it REALLY wakes it up. My timing is at the stock 10 degrees BTDC though 12 degrees helps a lil bit with continued use of premium. Allante intakes run into issues with the master cylinder and TB/cruise control cable. I think Sevillian273 might have the most mods available but I haven't seen him on much the past few months. His car and mine at a drag strip...that would be interesting. And maybe almost worth whatever drive he's located.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Man I just always loved the "big" American cars from the early-mid 60's through to the early 80's. Bill Mitchell is an automotive God IMO, some of the stuff he designed/influenced is just classic. Since I could not afford a "toy" like a 1968 Eldorado, a 1965 Riveria, a 1965 Impala, a 1966 Toronado, a 1971 Riveria, a 1967 or 1968 Buick Wildcat hardtop, a 1969 Grand Prix, a 1970 Monte Carlo.

I always did like the styling Cadillac did on their downsized 1977 model line, with the Coupe and Sedan Deville. IMO they tweaked it just a bit with a bigger waterfall grill in 1980 to make it look a bit more like a rolls royce. This total over the top treatment is what really wanted me to buy an early 90's Brougham. They had better, more reliable Chevrolet engines, plus more chrome trim except maybe for some models made before 1965. Most of it was real chrome plated steel or polished stainless steel. Only plastic chrome parts were the grill, wheel center caps, and the shield on all the Cadillac emblems.
    77CDV likes this.

01ssreda4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS VIN 9

I always thought of the Seville STS and the gentleman's Caddy, not your grandpa's cruiser. It screamed cool, luxury, and American all wrapped up in one. Of course I like it!
    77CDV, ben.gators and knotgoalie like this.

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

I wanted a car to go with my screen name on here!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    I wanted a car to go with my screen name on here!
    Yet you're on a bike.

Ole White Chap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX V8

I have always been an "import guy" But the imports had not been treating me too well as of late. Got out of a Volvo V70R to grab my Caddy; I figured that if I was going to by a domestic it would have to be a top of the line machine. When I discovered the SRX with the big roof and the third row seat, I knew it was a good fit for us.

Honestly, only had the car one week. It is big, powerful and nice- but I feel 20 years older every time I get into it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.