Anybody else REALLY want the new Challenger SRT Hellcat? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree25Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Anybody else REALLY want the new Challenger SRT Hellcat? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Aron9000 If you want to keep weight down, you wouldn't start with a new Camaro anyways. The ...
    CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Re: Anybody else REALLY want the new Challenger SRT Hellcat?

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    If you want to keep weight down, you wouldn't start with a new Camaro anyways. The Z/28 is still 3837lbs. Main reason its such a beast on the track are the tires, 305/30/R19 R compound racing tires. Here's a picture of them. Wouldn't want to drive these in the rain with a little wear on them.

The suspension calibration and carbon cermaic brakes(same tech on a Ferrari, Lambo, Audi R8, etc) are also pretty trick, and its amazing what GM engineers have wrung out of the chassis.

Still, for 75k, I'd much rather have a new Vette, it posts similar lap times on tires that will get you home in the rain and last 20,000 miles or more.
    My problem is the car has gobs of HP and TQ but they only put a 305 under the rear fender. If you are going to make this car a 1/4 mile car you should give it every chance to hook up and really take advantage of all that power. Looks like they put some serious tires on this car out of the factory so if you have traction issues nothing can be done without some work under the back end to fit some wider meats.

I'm with you on the 'vette. it should hold it's own in the 1/4 and it will walk this car on a track.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Hellcat and would love to drive one. I sure love the HP wars too and I am hoping they will figure out a way to keep on fighting even with the CAFE average requirements increasing.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Or drive something properly light like a Lotus Elise, Miata, etc. Saving 100lbs by stripping out the a/c and heat makes a huge difference on something like a 2200lb Miata that's low on power, 3700 vs 3800 lbs with 500hp, you aren't going to feel the weight difference IMO. No A/C in a black Z28 in the middle of August, on a car you just spend $75k on, I will label you masochist with a bad case of swamp a@@. Which is fine, if that's your thing.
    You don't like swamp a$$?

01ssreda4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS VIN 9

I bet they spent a butt load of time on the torque management to get it to launch on the stock tires.....and the track has very favorable DA so those are probably the times at the better end of the spectrum. No hate though, its a cool ride.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
    I bet they spent a butt load of time on the torque management to get it to launch on the stock tires.....and the track has very favorable DA so those are probably the times at the better end of the spectrum. No hate though, its a cool ride.
    I thought torque management was something they could only program into the computer with an automatic transmission.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

If they do the tune properly it can help a great deal with traction. My SRT, for example, actually hooks up well and is well mannered if you don't step on it. it comes on gradually but when you give it a little extra she really takes off. This is nice but if you stomp on it then all bets are off, tire spin and if your not careful the back end will could try to pass the front.

Both fun and scary at the same time...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.