Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Jesda 
#1 ·
Sales plummet and used-ute prices slide, but used Corollas actually gain value

Last July, Chevrolet dealer Tim Walters took a 2003 Ford Expedition in trade. He's still waiting for a buyer.

The big SUV had 34,000 miles on it, and Walters took it to auction three times. It attracted no bids, says Walters, whose dealership is in Elkland, Pa. "A lot of guys are afraid to take a chance on" buying large SUVs, he says. "You don't know if another hurricane will hit and gas will hit $4 a gallon."

The Expedition Walters can't sell is a sign that high gasoline prices are scaring away buyers of large SUVs. But used small cars, in a stunning reversal, are holding value. A 2003 Toyota Corolla LE is selling for $100 more this month than it did last October, according to auction data, even though the economy car is a year older, with more mileage and wear and tear.

Prices of used full-sized SUVs plunged 10.1 percent last month compared with September 2004, according to Manheim, an auction company in Atlanta.

And it's not over, says Tom Webb, Manheim's chief economist. In the next few months, prices are likely to fall even more as dealers scramble to unload big used SUVs.

"Prices are falling, and they are falling fast," Webb says.

See less See more
#27 ·
In the US that is fine, because not only do you have the biggest trucks in the world, but you have the biggest sedans too and fuel prices to allow them!

Off roaders and SUVs are the mostly (exceptions like Bentleys, Benzes and Beemers) biggest cars on the road here, there are very small cars here like the Smart car, and VW Lupo, yes, our biggest car is probably a sedan too! In the UK at least, it is unessential to drive a car so big every day, the part i dont like is that they are used for carrying kids to school, crushing the curbs, and polluting the environment around schools. Cars such as the BMW X5, the X3, Land Rover Freelander, Toyota RAV4 and any other five seater SUV should never have existed, fair enough, design a car that looks like an SUV, but why bother putting all of that 4x4 system into something that wont use it?

I miss the good old wagon!

Or even better - walk your kids to school if it is possible

It isnt a dig at those people who have genuine 4x4s and use them, but as for the ones mentioned? ha. Remember the old Land Rovers? The original ones? Most people wouldnt have dreamed of taking their kids to school in one of those in the 80s, so why do they all want to now?????

"asanine"

asinine is defined as: devoid of intelligence

gee thanks

#28 ·
Sandy said:
I don't guarantee this, but someone told me that there are now 81 different models we can buy here in America! Over saturation of market. Balloon burst time. Jeep will survive, of that I promise. I think they started it in 1984.

Actually, almost every SUV on the road today can thank Jeep...who made the first practical four wheel drive Wagoneer in 1971...I've had several...an '87, '88 and still have a '91 Grand Wagoneer..all three are the grand-daddy of the little one shown above.

#29 ·
mccombie_5 said:
In the US that is fine, because not only do you have the biggest trucks in the world, but you have the biggest sedans too and fuel prices to allow them!

Off roaders and SUVs are the mostly (exceptions like Bentleys, Benzes and Beemers) biggest cars on the road here, there are very small cars here like the Smart car, and VW Lupo, yes, our biggest car is probably a sedan too! In the UK at least, it is unessential to drive a car so big every day, the part i dont like is that they are used for carrying kids to school, crushing the curbs, and polluting the environment around schools. Cars such as the BMW X5, the X3, Land Rover Freelander, Toyota RAV4 and any other five seater SUV should never have existed, fair enough, design a car that looks like an SUV, but why bother putting all of that 4x4 system into something that wont use it?

I miss the good old wagon!

Or even better - walk your kids to school if it is possible

It isnt a dig at those people who have genuine 4x4s and use them, but as for the ones mentioned? ha. Remember the old Land Rovers? The original ones? Most people wouldnt have dreamed of taking their kids to school in one of those in the 80s, so why do they all want to now?????

"asanine"

asinine is defined as: devoid of intelligence

gee thanks
Mccombie, I was refering to the statement, not you, as you could see. Contrary to what Blackout thinks, I really don't dissagree with everything, hell I don't have time for all that typing!! I read a lot of your posts and agree with much of what you say, but you didn't differentiate between the Isles and the USA. I agree with you that conditions dictate the action. If you live in the Sahara you don't need a canoe!;)

#30 ·
Randy_W said:
Mccombie, I was refering to the statement, not you, as you could see. Contrary to what Blackout thinks, I really don't dissagree with everything, hell I don't have time for all that typing!! I read a lot of your posts and agree with much of what you say, but you didn't differentiate between the Isles and the USA. I agree with you that conditions dictate the action. If you live in the Sahara you don't need a canoe!;)
Sorry for the confusion

If i was in the Sahara sure as hell id have a canoe anyway :D

#34 ·
mccombie_5 said:
I have driven a 78 Cadilllac Fleetwood Stretch (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/limo/78limo.jpg) similar to that <

And yes a custom 70s factory Cadillac limousine is going to be smoother than a Range, it is smoother than a Range Rover, but US roads are different to the ones in the UK. A 1970s cadillac is all well and good here until you turn a corner......
My '76 limo is, of course, a factory limo. Not a stretch or custom.
And it actually handles quite well. I can take a curve posted at 35 mph at 45 mph easily, even 50 mph if I want to push it that hard. As long as my limo handles well in normal or slightly above-normal driving, I'm satisfied.

#35 ·
Fleet said:
My '76 limo is, of course, a factory limo. Not a stretch or custom.
And it actually handles quite well. I can take a curve posted at 35 mph at 45 mph easily, even 50 mph if I want to push it that hard. As long as my limo handles well in normal or slightly above-normal driving, I'm satisfied.
I am unsure if the one i drove was a factory car or not. It felt well made though. Aso some curves in America can take 10 minutes to go around

#37 ·
Fleet said:
In a tractor-trailer or 18-wheeler, maybe; not in a factory Cadillac.
Still maybe five, in comparison there is a corner on the way to my mothers house, on a dualled piece of road, that "recommends" 40mph, i have taken it at 120 in my BMW, wouldnt fancy it in a caddy...... ANY caddy.

I love them, but they are hardly sporting cars, or handlers in any way, i consider the STS to be a boat for these roads......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.