Big trouble for big SUVs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Big trouble for big SUVs in General Discussion; Originally Posted by mccombie_5 Well its a mix of things a stylish SUV a luxury limo and a hardcore off ...
    Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Re: Big trouble for big SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by mccombie_5
    Well its a mix of things

a stylish SUV
    a luxury limo
    and a hardcore off roader

The Range Rover Vogue
    Well, real limos (like my '76) are supposed to have a smooth ride. SUV suspensions are not set up for a smooth ride!

mccombie_5 is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet
    Well, real limos (like my '76) are supposed to have a smooth ride. SUV suspensions are not set up for a smooth ride!
    You ever ridden in a Range Rover?

In fairness your 76 is a factory liousine, for limousine use, my Range si easily on par with a Mercedes S500 for smoothness and qulaity

SpeedyArizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited

SUV suspensions are not set up for a smooth ride!
    Have you ever ridden in a Lexus GX470? They have a suspension that absorbs every bump in the road, it's like driving a cloud.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyArizona
    Have you ever ridden in a Lexus GX470? They have a suspension that absorbs every bump in the road, it's like driving a cloud.
    yeah, and take that POS offroad... not off the pavement and into your gravel driveway, I mean real, mud bogging, dirt jumpin', water fording, bajaing off road and see how many bumps it absorbs.... or how many holes are in the floor pan, the oil pan, how well those side steps aid in ground clearance, and that AWD system helps you to go up a 25% grade...

"SUV's" like those crappy Lexus are for people that should drive a car but "like being up high"

a REAL SUV is a Bronco (any year) and K5 Blazer etc... hell, even the older Toyota 4Runners could be a REAL SUV.... a REAL SUV being a pickup truck, with a cap over the bed and a back seat.... thats it.

when I drive my fathers '88 Bronco... it makes me proud, I really like that truck, that generation Ford trucks sat high, and I can look at everyone in their wannabe SUV's and laugh.

Hell, even the Tahoe is a real SUV, it is a Silverado chassis.. the Excursion? real SUV... F-250 chassic with V10 or Power Stroke... try and find that in your Lexus.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You ever ridden in a Range Rover?

In fairness your 76 is a factory liousine, for limousine use, my Range si easily on par with a Mercedes S500 for smoothness and qulaity
    I've ridden in a Range Rover, and an Escalade ESV for that matter. Nothing, and I mean nothing I've ridden in comes close to the soft ride of my 75 Deville except for my friend's 76 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe. I can only imagine the added mass of a factory limo dampening the ride even more.

SpeedyArizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited

90% of all SUVs (excluding Jeeps) never get taken offroad.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex
    Ford is planning for a retro 60s-70s style Bronco that is cool as hell.
    That is a cool design, I hope Ford enough sense to build it.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I've ridden in a Range Rover, and an Escalade ESV for that matter. Nothing, and I mean nothing I've ridden in comes close to the soft ride of my 75 Deville except for my friend's 76 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe. I can only imagine the added mass of a factory limo dampening the ride even more.
    True. Some SUVs do okay on glass smooth streets, but once they go over pot holes or irregular surfaces, there's no way they are going to ride as well as a big 'ol Cadillac!

Many years ago, I went for a ride in my dad's boss's '75 or '76 Lincoln Continental. A very quiet and smooth ride. I was impressed. But the Cadillacs handle better.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyArizona
    I agree with you here.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

My Range Rover is a True off roader, it goes off road, i need it to, i use ti at site inspections, following in ruts made my Euclids (http://www.jwjonescompany.com/images...es/euclidb.jpg) It is the best off roader i have needed, i also agree in ther fact my ESV has enver been off road, and never will, when ive sold it will be cut up and stretched.

I have driven a 78 Cadilllac Fleetwood Stretch (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/limo/78limo.jpg) similar to that <

And yes a custom 70s factory Cadillac limousine is going to be smoother than a Range, it is smoother than a Range Rover, but US roads are different to the ones in the UK. A 1970s cadillac is all well and good here until you turn a corner......

The Range Rover is better, and smoother, IMO than CURRENT luxury class cars:

Mercedes Benz S500
    BMW 760
    Jaguar XJ
    Audi A8
    VW Phaeton

and others, yes, i own one and will have another one of those cars soon, you could say "just use the Range Rover if its so good" the answer is because i dont want to, i dont want to be one of these SUV driving people who take up car space on the road. My Range is only driven off road, and obviously on the roads to the place im taking it to, i certainly dont use it for daily use, thats what cars are for

Randy_W is offline Banned

i dont want to be one of these SUV driving people who take up car space on the road. My Range is only driven off road, and obviously on the roads to the place im taking it to, i certainly dont use it for daily use, thats what cars are for
    Mccombie, nothing personal, I don't know you. That quoted statement above is the epitome of asanine! If I want to drive my Z71 Tahoe evry day and leave the Cadillac under cover, (which I do), that's my damned business! My interior design business gets me off road at new building sites often, my Tahoe will go anywhere on the East Coast I need to go. By the way, my Caddy is slightly longer than my Tahoe, so taking up road space isn't an issue.Most SUV's with the exception of stretch versions like Suburban, ESV, etc..., are no longer than the average sedan. Measure some sometime. Those dinky little European economy cars are small indeed. Measure most average size and larger sedans, most are little if any shorter than an average SUV. To say"that's what cars are for", is certainly only your opinion and not fact. I can afford my gas, I have a place to park whatever I drive, and it's my business to drive what I please. By the way, every day when I pull out of my driveway, I leave two cars under cover. I like my cars, but I prefer to drive my truck, so I do. I don't feel guilty in the least nor do I feel I'm impeding others rights to drive cars, if that's what they choose to drive.

In the US that is fine, because not only do you have the biggest trucks in the world, but you have the biggest sedans too and fuel prices to allow them!

Off roaders and SUVs are the mostly (exceptions like Bentleys, Benzes and Beemers) biggest cars on the road here, there are very small cars here like the Smart car, and VW Lupo, yes, our biggest car is probably a sedan too! In the UK at least, it is unessential to drive a car so big every day, the part i dont like is that they are used for carrying kids to school, crushing the curbs, and polluting the environment around schools. Cars such as the BMW X5, the X3, Land Rover Freelander, Toyota RAV4 and any other five seater SUV should never have existed, fair enough, design a car that looks like an SUV, but why bother putting all of that 4x4 system into something that wont use it?

I miss the good old wagon!

Or even better - walk your kids to school if it is possible

It isnt a dig at those people who have genuine 4x4s and use them, but as for the ones mentioned? ha. Remember the old Land Rovers? The original ones? Most people wouldnt have dreamed of taking their kids to school in one of those in the 80s, so why do they all want to now?????

"asanine"

asinine is defined as: devoid of intelligence

gee thanks

wht2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I don't guarantee this, but someone told me that there are now 81 different models we can buy here in America! Over saturation of market. Balloon burst time. Jeep will survive, of that I promise. I think they started it in 1984.

Actually, almost every SUV on the road today can thank Jeep...who made the first practical four wheel drive Wagoneer in 1971...I've had several...an '87, '88 and still have a '91 Grand Wagoneer..all three are the grand-daddy of the little one shown above.

Randy_W is offline Banned

In the US that is fine, because not only do you have the biggest trucks in the world, but you have the biggest sedans too and fuel prices to allow them!

Off roaders and SUVs are the mostly (exceptions like Bentleys, Benzes and Beemers) biggest cars on the road here, there are very small cars here like the Smart car, and VW Lupo, yes, our biggest car is probably a sedan too! In the UK at least, it is unessential to drive a car so big every day, the part i dont like is that they are used for carrying kids to school, crushing the curbs, and polluting the environment around schools. Cars such as the BMW X5, the X3, Land Rover Freelander, Toyota RAV4 and any other five seater SUV should never have existed, fair enough, design a car that looks like an SUV, but why bother putting all of that 4x4 system into something that wont use it?

I miss the good old wagon!

Or even better - walk your kids to school if it is possible

It isnt a dig at those people who have genuine 4x4s and use them, but as for the ones mentioned? ha. Remember the old Land Rovers? The original ones? Most people wouldnt have dreamed of taking their kids to school in one of those in the 80s, so why do they all want to now?????

"asanine"

asinine is defined as: devoid of intelligence

gee thanks
    Mccombie, I was refering to the statement, not you, as you could see. Contrary to what Blackout thinks, I really don't dissagree with everything, hell I don't have time for all that typing!! I read a lot of your posts and agree with much of what you say, but you didn't differentiate between the Isles and the USA. I agree with you that conditions dictate the action. If you live in the Sahara you don't need a canoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W
    Mccombie, I was refering to the statement, not you, as you could see. Contrary to what Blackout thinks, I really don't dissagree with everything, hell I don't have time for all that typing!! I read a lot of your posts and agree with much of what you say, but you didn't differentiate between the Isles and the USA. I agree with you that conditions dictate the action. If you live in the Sahara you don't need a canoe!
    Sorry for the confusion

If i was in the Sahara sure as hell id have a canoe anyway

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.