Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD! - Page 8
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 140
Like Tree60Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn ...I remember back in the mid nineties Cadillac used to sponsor, or at least display the ...
  1. #106
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ...I remember back in the mid nineties Cadillac used to sponsor, or at least display the Seville, at polo matches and "A" level horse shows in Southern California. The parking lots and stabling areas were full of Mercedes, BMW's, Lexus sedans and coupes and numerous Rolls/Bentleys (always a few Azure's). The Seville on display always seem to draw admiring lookers and generated a lot of positive conversation ...
    Cadillac also always had a Seville at polo matches in the La Jolla area in the early/mid 80's when I visited my aunt and uncle there. Rolls-Royce was the official sponsor at the events we attended as I recall and their cars were what I was captivated by. At that time Cadillac was just starting thier decline and losing my interest fast.

    I am still amazed at the pass so many on here keep giving Cadillac. How many more decades will it take for them to create the standard instead of doing what the defenders on here claim to be progress or good enough?

  2. #107
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You're such a sellout, Sal...
    I just buy what I like. I don't buy products from a brand because I like the brand - I need to like the product. I don't care who makes my next television. I'm just going to buy the one that I like best. I "like" the new CTS but I don't like it best - which is why I didn't buy it.

    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I can't see how you can call the Sixteen dated and not see that the Ciel and the Elmiraj are merely variations on the same design theme, no great design breakthroughs to be seen on later two.
    The third generation CTS is a variation of the same Art & Science design theme as the first generation - which is now dated. I wouldn't buy a first generation CTS if it were introduced today either.

    The Sixteen was massively beautiful but it's time has passed - as have all designs themes from 2003.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

  3. #108
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the middle of water!
    Posts
    4,322

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    I think Cadillac could use a full-size premium luxury sedan for those looking for something bigger than a CTS and with more panache than an XTS. The XTS is "nice" but really doesn't compare to leaders in the segment. I think this would/could be an aspirational vehicle for Cadillac owners and enthusiasts - and would bring more people into Cadillac showrooms and probably put more customers into cars like the ATS, CTS and others.

    This car should have an adjustable suspension so that people wanting a floaty ride can have it - and those who want a stiffer ride can have that as well...
    I totally agree. A car like Elmiraj could bring back the prestige and glory to the brand. Because of its price tag, I don't think that many would and could buy it, however, just the presence of a car like that in the showroom, can help to improve the image of Cadillac.

    Furthermore, it can help boosting sales of other Cadillac models such as ATS and CTS. I can see design elements of Sixteen/Elmiraj/Ciel in the new CTS, ATS and even XTS. By introduction of Elmiraj, the new CTS/ATS can be considered as a mini-Elmiraj, which can improve the image of these cars. I personally think the new CTS, ATS, and even XTS have very distinct designs and if someone mistakes them for a Hyundai, he needs to see an eye doctor!

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Perhaps it would be better for Cadillac to develop and produce a personal luxury car like the last series Sevilles. Despite some quality issues , especially for second and third hand buyers, the last two series Sevilles were a bright spot in an otherwise downward trending Cadillac market.
    I cannot agree more. But two things:

    1- If you convert the original MSRP of your '95 STS, or my '99 Seville STS, or Sub's '03 STS into today's dollar, the result would be around $70k! Do you think today people will be willing to pay that for a Cadillac? These days some (many?) are considering Cadillac as a discount luxury brand. Some others see it as a second hand bargain. One of our very good friends, who is a very knowledgeable car guy, considers ATS, which has an starting MSRP of $33k, an overpriced car that its price tag needs to be $10k reduced. The new Seville that you are mentioning is not going to be very different from these ATS/CTS. Do you think Cadillac will be able to market and sell it for a good price?


    2- Do you have considered CTS V-sport as Cadillac's new personal luxury car? I see many similarities between the V-sport and Seville. Some consider it the modern Deville, but I think it is actually a modern Seville because of its superb handles and performance.
    I really like to see one of our Seville STS owners test drive a CTS Vsport and reports back how it rides, performs, and feels compared to our beloved Seville. Hosseir Daddy drove one, but he is mostly into the sports car and didn't like the size and feel of the car. I like to know how someone who appreciates comfort and handling equally, thinks about this car. Submariner, Orconn yourself, Ryan, any STS owner? Is there any who can go and test drive a V-sport and reports back?

    And by the way, this wonderful machine that blows the doors off the BMW 550 and the MB E550, has a starting price tag of $60k, and I have heard that there is a $5-10k incentive on the purchase of this car, and still Cadillac has problem in selling these brilliant cars!

  4. #109
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,972
    So many here want to love Cadillacs again. But it seems the continuing controversial design theme cancels enthusiasm for the brand. The 'just drive it and shut up' argument from the believers seems more an acknowledgment of the failure of the styling than an endorsement of how well the car drives. What is the point of test driving a luxury car which an apparently increasing number of potential buyers have figured out is questionable as a symbol of prestige and therefore a dubious introduction of oneself?

  5. #110
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    this wonderful machine that blows the doors off the BMW 550
    Just as (or maybe directly after - I wasn't paying very close attention) the V-Sport launched, BMW boosted the 550i's power substantially. The tests where the V-Sport was faster than the 550i was against the previous year AND (correct me if I'm wrong) a non-sport 550i - which doesn't handle very well...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    So many here want to love Cadillacs again. But it seems the continuing controversial design theme cancels enthusiasm for the brand. The 'just drive it and shut up' argument from the believers seems more an acknowledgment of the failure of the styling than an endorsement of how well the car drives. What is the point of test driving a luxury car which an apparently increasing number of potential buyers have figured out is questionable as a symbol of prestige and therefore a dubious introduction of oneself?
    Just drive it and shut up!
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

  6. #111
    orconn's Avatar
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    12,985

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    I don't know if you all have been keeping track of salaries and income of the top 2% of U.S. families lately. With incomes well in excess of $250,000 a year they could easily afford a $70,000 dollar car, and in fact do when they purchase a senior Mercedes or BMW ..... or even a Cadillac truck or V model. I do think a really beautiful top of the line Cadillac would find buyers in this income bracket, even a more expensive Cadillac would be attractive if it was a departure in styling from that offered by other "luxury" car makers. And of course there is the Chinese and overseas market as a potential market for a car of this type.

  7. #112
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post

    ...Just drive it and shut up!
    FINE! You're the boss so I will do it. When I go on vacation in a couple weeks the car rental places always seem to have all the Cadillac sedan models. I will try the new Seville or Sedan deVille, oops I mean CTS or XTS.

  8. #113
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I don't know if you all have been keeping track of salaries and income of the top 2% of U.S. families lately. With incomes well in excess of $250,000 a year they could easily afford a $70,000 dollar car, and in fact do when they purchase a senior Mercedes or BMW ..... or even a Cadillac truck or V model. I do think a really beautiful top of the line Cadillac would find buyers in this income bracket, even a more expensive Cadillac would be attractive if it was a departure in styling from that offered by other "luxury" car makers. And of course there is the Chinese and overseas market as a potential market for a car of this type.
    I agree - there's a market for it. Just don't price it too high. At first, price is low. Cadillac doesn't do very well when it tries to charge high prices. On one hand it makes sense to ask a high price because Cadillac wants exclusivity - but enough people aren't biting. So do what Lexus did with the LS in 1989 and start low...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    FINE! You're the boss so I will do it. When I go on vacation in a couple weeks the car rental places always seem to have all the Cadillac sedan models. I will try the new Seville or Sedan deVille, oops I mean CTS or XTS.
    They're both very nice cars... I'd like to drive the XTS. I bet it's the ultimate DeVille...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

  9. #114
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    So many here want to love Cadillacs again. But it seems the continuing controversial design theme cancels enthusiasm for the brand. The 'just drive it and shut up' argument from the believers seems more an acknowledgment of the failure of the styling than an endorsement of how well the car drives. What is the point of test driving a luxury car which an apparently increasing number of potential buyers have figured out is questionable as a symbol of prestige and therefore a dubious introduction of oneself?
    I have been a big fan, in general, of Cadillac's styling over the past decade. And even though the back end of the new CTS didn't wow me upon introduction, it has grown on me a lot.

    I think Cadillacs today look great and drive even better. Certainly they drive better than any Cadillac before it...
    ben.gators likes this.

  10. #115
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    I actually like the design features of the new Cadillacs.

    The complaints I have with the design of the XTS are the slope back roof, which make entry/egress more difficult, and the fact that the four corners are recessed in from the actual width and length of the vehicle, decreasing trunk size and making it look like a much smaller car than it is.

    I also have a problem with such a large car, in a luxury line, that has a rear seat where when you sit in it you have little or no room to move your legs around or change seating position to avoid fatigue.

    I wish they (All manufacturers for that matter.) would give more importance to the interior design and comfort of passengers than they do to the aerodynamics. I would much rather have comfort and room, than another couple MPG.

  11. #116
    orconn's Avatar
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    12,985

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Please tell me if all the car companies are paying so much attention to aerodynamics why the latest fad seems to be big blunt fake nacelles on the front of their cars?

  12. #117
    Bro-Ham's Avatar
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,972
    I saw an XTS up close yesterday, in red, simply awful proportions and lines. Also saw a white CTS coupe with a hind end that was so enormous I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The Lincoln MKZ is appearing everywhere and its attractive flowing shape is quite a contrast.

  13. #118
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I also have a problem with such a large car, in a luxury line, that has a rear seat where when you sit in it you have little or no room to move your legs around or change seating position to avoid fatigue. I wish they (All manufacturers for that matter.) would give more importance to the interior design and comfort of passengers than they do to the aerodynamics. I would much rather have comfort and room, than another couple MPG.
    You're uncomfortable in the back of an S550?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

  14. #119
    delerium75's Avatar
    delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay City, MI
    Age
    39
    Posts
    243

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Having spent some time this morning looking at Cadillac, MB, Audi and BMW websites, it's clear the ATS is priced right on top of the C-Class, A4 and 3-series. This tells me a couple things: That Cadillac believes itself to be of the same caliber. In some aspects like handling, it likely is. In other aspects like overall execution and cachet...the other marques have worked longer at making the best cars and it shows: Price it accordingly for now. And don't go crazy with the coupe pricing.

    The XTS, like the last STS, I think gets lost in the shuffle. Even on Cadillac's website, there's a picture showing how legroom is superior to an E350 and A6. Isn't the CTS supposed to be the answer to those cars? The fact that the XTS is priced right on top of the CTS only adds to the confusion. And holy cow, what a mess of models and option packages. I think it's trying to be too many things to too many people. But I think the XTS is there for DTS-STS buyers still wanting to stay in a Cadillac. It's the token Brougham of the late 80s and 90s...where people like my grandparents, god rest their souls, were the ones still buying Broughams, I think the XTS is there for younger Boomers. And realtors.

    I guess we'll see how the upcoming RWD large sedan goes. While Cadillac has had a good showing with the 2nd and 3rd gen CTS and ATS, their past trouble with the higher end of the market makes me pause. Allante? It wasn't good until the final year of production and it was still let down by a cheap looking dash/door panels with no wood. XLR? Slower than a Vette but priced far more dearly. And not exactly a beautiful car. Fleetwoods and Broughams? Not gonna fly now. DTS/STS/XTS Platinum editions? I think it shows they can do an alcantara headliner and wrap trim in leather but so can everyone else. A car like an Audi A8 has a real presence on the road...it looks expensive. It kinda puts me in awe a bit. That's what Cadillac's big RWD car needs to do to people. And they need to be realistic with the pricing. They're still the equivalent of an American tourist in Europe. They may have ditched the fanny pack and black socks with shorts but you can still spot them...they're not quite the seasoned business traveler that knows how to blend in.

    I admire the direction they've gone. They could have aimed at "better than Lincoln" but they chose the more difficult route and went international. Cadillacs like my '92 Fleetwood (an anachronism even when new) are part of their heritage and while no one has a spotless past, I can look past its faults and enjoy it for what it is; ditto my STS.
    77CDV likes this.

  15. #120
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: Cadillac Sales Down by 2.3%...with the ATS and XTS down by over 20%...NOT GOOD!

    Cadillac's first mistake was naming their small, entry level car "ATS" instead of CTS. The current CTS should have been named STS and the XTS should have been DTS.

    The ATS should not be priced above the C-Class or 3-Series. I haven't done any price checking but if that's really the case - that's a mistake. The ATS is not an all around "better" car. It's great - but not the best - and should be priced accordingly.

    The XTS is a nice car but as you mentioned, it's compared too often to the A6, 5-Series and E-Class. Why? That's what the CTS is there for. Correct... So that's a little odd. Perhaps the XTS and CTS are to Cadillac was the GS and ES are to Lexus.

    The new full size rear wheel drive sedan needs to be as perfect as possible and it cannot be priced over the Lexus LS initially. It needs to slow in between the Hyundai Equus and Lexus LS.

    And if Cadillac wants to get into the global game - they're going to need a diesel engine. Personally I think they'd be better of staying out of Europe until they can get a lot of sales from the Chinese - which is the fastest growing market for automobiles at the moment...

    Quote Originally Posted by delerium75 View Post
    Having spent some time this morning looking at Cadillac, MB, Audi and BMW websites, it's clear the ATS is priced right on top of the C-Class, A4 and 3-series. This tells me a couple things: That Cadillac believes itself to be of the same caliber. In some aspects like handling, it likely is. In other aspects like overall execution and cachet...the other marques have worked longer at making the best cars and it shows: Price it accordingly for now. And don't go crazy with the coupe pricing.

    The XTS, like the last STS, I think gets lost in the shuffle. Even on Cadillac's website, there's a picture showing how legroom is superior to an E350 and A6. Isn't the CTS supposed to be the answer to those cars? The fact that the XTS is priced right on top of the CTS only adds to the confusion. And holy cow, what a mess of models and option packages. I think it's trying to be too many things to too many people. But I think the XTS is there for DTS-STS buyers still wanting to stay in a Cadillac. It's the token Brougham of the late 80s and 90s...where people like my grandparents, god rest their souls, were the ones still buying Broughams, I think the XTS is there for younger Boomers. And realtors.

    I guess we'll see how the upcoming RWD large sedan goes. While Cadillac has had a good showing with the 2nd and 3rd gen CTS and ATS, their past trouble with the higher end of the market makes me pause. Allante? It wasn't good until the final year of production and it was still let down by a cheap looking dash/door panels with no wood. XLR? Slower than a Vette but priced far more dearly. And not exactly a beautiful car. Fleetwoods and Broughams? Not gonna fly now. DTS/STS/XTS Platinum editions? I think it shows they can do an alcantara headliner and wrap trim in leather but so can everyone else. A car like an Audi A8 has a real presence on the road...it looks expensive. It kinda puts me in awe a bit. That's what Cadillac's big RWD car needs to do to people. And they need to be realistic with the pricing. They're still the equivalent of an American tourist in Europe. They may have ditched the fanny pack and black socks with shorts but you can still spot them...they're not quite the seasoned business traveler that knows how to blend in.

    I admire the direction they've gone. They could have aimed at "better than Lincoln" but they chose the more difficult route and went international. Cadillacs like my '92 Fleetwood (an anachronism even when new) are part of their heritage and while no one has a spotless past, I can look past its faults and enjoy it for what it is; ditto my STS.
    77CDV and delerium75 like this.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting