Your first airplane flight?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Your first airplane flight? in General Discussion; When was your first flight? Where did you go first flight? Was the plane a jet, turbo prop or conventional ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Your first airplane flight?

When was your first flight? Where did you go first flight? Was the plane a jet, turbo prop or conventional prop job? What was the flight like and was there something that really impressed you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I was 9 or 10. Boston to Florida (yes, Disney). I went with my great uncle, grandmother, and aunt (all on my fathers side). I had the window seat, right side of the plane. As the plane took off, it banked right, hard. I only had one thing to say, each word louder than the next as the angle of the roll increased: "Oh, my, GOD!". Most of the other passengers within ~5-10 rows started laughing. I clung to the armrests for about 20 seconds until the plane leveled out, then I stopped being afraid, and started watching everything on the ground getting smaller. After that, takeoff and landing became my favorite parts of a flight.

gdwriter is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Re: Your first airplane flight?

My first flight was in September 1966, but I was only three months old, so I don't exactly remember it.

The first flight I remember was in the summer of 1974 when I was 8. D/FW to Boston Logan on an American Airlines DC-10 with a stop at LaGuardia. I still remember looking in awe at the NYC skyline.

I got to fly with a friend in his Dad's Cessna 172 twice in 2004. We took it around Corvallis and on another trip flew it around the Blue Mountains near Pendleton in Eastern Oregon. On that flight, I took off and flew the plane quite a bit. I would love to take flying lessons and get licensed, but I already have enough expensive hobbies.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My first flight was in the late forties. I was about eight or nine. The family flew on a Pan American Airlines DC-4 non-stop from Fairbanks to Seattle. That was back in the day when everybody dressed up in their best clothes like going on a cruise on a luxury liner. We were served a couple of meals on china plates with silverware and linen napkins. Even though we were flying from a US possession(Alaska) to Seattle we had to show proof of citizenship to pass through the airport. Being treated like second class citizens is nothing new for Alaskans.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    My first flight was from New England area. Could of been JFK, idk. But I ended up on Scotland. I remember one of the flights being loaded on the tarmac. As because at some point they left the door opened as either they lite up the engines or another jet was going by. And it scared the crap out of me. I cried and screamed to a point my mom asked if they could close the door. In which they did because I quited down.

I was 2 going on to 3 or 3 going on to 4. I just remembered spending my birthday out in Scotland. Oh and those people drive on the wrong side of the road. I remembered asking them why too. Lol

My next flight was actually a one way. From Florida to Connecticut. (No, not leaving Disney). But rather leaving from a Tiger Cruise. For those not familiar. It's when a boy between the ages of 9? to 15 goes on a trip with his father on the submarine they served on. We deported CT and arrived in FL a week later. Of course it was during the "winter". So I was not prepared for 5 inches of snow waiting to freeze my ass. Lol

KOT

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

My first flight I was about 8 and it was in a small prop plane, one of those penny-a-pound charity fund raiser. Flew out of Sextonville WI airport and took off over our house.

First commercial flight was Madison to Denver on a 737 (I think?). A buddy and I were drinking one night, and at 2AM he decided he wanted to go to Grand Junction to pick up his girlfriend who moved there with her husband a few months earlier.

Called and booked flight and in several hours were at the Hertz desk in Denver renting a car for the cross state drive.(I have no idea how I pulled that one off!) Two days later we were back in WI with her in tow. I don't remember much of the trip. It ended up being a rather "Thompson-esque" blur.(Fear and Loathing in Colorado?) I did find photos in my camera when I sobered up a few days later.

I remember when the stewardess came with the drink cart after take-off, the three of us were sitting there and I ordered 3 Black Russians, she went to set them down on each of our trays, I had to explain they were for me, my friends had yet to order!

Oh, a few days later she flew back to her husband....
    ben.gators likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

DC-3, Miami to Nassau, 1948. Eastern Air Lines I think.

Yes, back when life was more civil, you traveled (train or plane) in suit and tie or dress and hat. Food and service was excellent - and not just in First Class............... BUT most commercial transportation was not done in cattle cars designed to move the most people in the least room at the cheapest price - that was saved for Greyhound. hell, even Coach class on (? east Coast ?) railroads was mighty fine - especially with a great dining car nearby as well as the Club car. Coach Class on National Airlines was pretty nice, too. I flew on TWA, National, BOAC, World, Evergreen, Northwest Orient, Eastern, United, various USN - lots of old stuff.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

AA DC-6
    MDW-SYR
    Early '50s

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    March 2012. Travelled from Florida to Nevada with a crossover in Texas.

Had never flown anywhere.

By the end of the same year, I had taken around thirty more flights from Nevada to Florida or Florida to Nevada.

No idea how many I have been on since.

These were of course commercial flights. Mostly with Delta (I know their stupid safety video by heart) but since then, I have made a number of trips in private jets.

Never flown in a helicopter. I could any time I like as both in Nevada and Florida, I am very firm friends with the people who operate helicopter tour companies.

My first flight was from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro via a Cruzeiro do Sul airlines Convair 340. I was going with my dad and some of his senior engineers to ceremony for the inaugural of Radio do Brasil's new mega watt radio transmitter. I was 12 years old and excited about two firsts that were to happen that day. My first airplane ride and the first time I would meet the President of a country.

The Convair 340 was considered something of a "hotrod" of commercial airplanes at the time and I remember that it really accelerated on the takeoff role and seem to climb almost straight up .... really cool! The 340's had only been in service a few days when we made this flight and the pilots were showing off by herding some cattle on the way to Rio. Apparently they misjudged the landing distance when we landed at Santos Dumont (which sits out from the shore in Guanabara Bay) and over ran the runway ending up in the shallows a short way off the end of the runway. So my first airplane flight ended up with a short boat ride to shore!

It was hot and humid as hell in Rio that day and everyone (including the Presidente) had sweated through their clothing including the suit coats we were wearing. My only real memory of the ceremony was how miserable we all were up on that stage , all sopping wet!

My second aircraft ride took place around sunset that evening on a Varig DC-3 back to Sao Paulo. We took off, again from Santos Dumont flying straight for the Southern Atlantic, hanging a quick right hand turn around Sugar Loaf. It seemed that as soon as we made the turn around Sugar Loaf we ran into an intense thunder and lightning storm which never abated all the way down the coast. To this day I remember looking out the window and seeing the escarpment between the port of Santos and the plateau where Sao Paulo situated above us when lightning flashed. The pilot made it up and over the mountains and we landed at Congonhas Airport in the pouring rain.

I am sure my dad and his guys were scared, the plane of course was bouncing all over the place, but for some reason I wasn't scared, being too interested in what was happening.

A year and a half later I had my third airplane flight in a Braniff DC-6B. We flew across South America from Sao Paulo to Lima, Peru. After hours and hours of flying over the Mato Grosso, the huge rain forest that takes up most of Brazil south of the Amazon Basin, we came to the Andes Mountains and being a clear day we flew, not over like today, but through. I still have pictures of Andean peaks towering above us as the plane flew through valleys and passes on its' way to Lima.

If I remember correctly, the flight from Sao Paulo to Miami (with stops in Bogota, La Paz, Panama City and Havana, Cuba took 28 hours of flying time!

Here is a Convair 340 like the one I first flew on:

convair 340 2.jpg

A Braniff DC-6B like the one I flew back to the Sates on in 1957:

braniff dg-6b.jpg

gdwriter is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Back when there was still a smoking section on airplanes, I got stuck next to a pair of chimneys who chain smoked all the way from Austin to Phoenix.
    So I chain drank. Not sure how many gin and tonics I downed, but at least the smoke didn't bother me anymore.

My first helicopter ride was in the South China Sea from USS Goldsborough DDG-20 to USS Yorktown CVS-10. The chopper was a SH-3 Sea King. The DDG didn't have a landing platform so I was hoisted aboard the helicopter via a horse collar on the end of a cable as the chopper hovered above. The first thing I noticed after arriving aboard the chopper was that it was like being in a paint shaker as the whole works oscillated as the rotor turned. The next thing I noticed was that anything within an inch or so of anything else, had rubbed at one time or another which was evidence that the shaking could get a whole lot worse. When we arrived at the carrier one of the chopper crew got a finger ring hung up on the door jamb as he jumped out and left the finger with some tendons trailing hanging right there. A little later another helicopter arrived aboard and as the thing spooled down the droop stops failed to deploy and the main rotor got tangled with the tail boom. There was quite a commotion as the thing thrashed around in its death throes. After a couple of days on the carrier I left via a CAT shot in an S2-F to Subic Bay in the Philippines.

I have rarely been concerned while flying, but there was one commercial aircraft that I wouldn't care if I never flew in one again. The Lockheed Electra was the most uncomfortable, noisiest, rattliest, least confidence inspiring aircraft I have ever flown in (and that includes military aircraft as well). After my second flight in one I always asked the type of aircraft on which I would be flying. If it was a Lockheed Electra I would find an alternative.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I've had waaaay more chopper rides than I can or care to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I've had waaaay more chopper rides than I can or care to remember.
    Helicopters have too many moving parts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.