Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Thinking of buying an older used cadillac?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  orconn 
#1 ·
I am starting to look for a winter car. I was looking at Cadillacs specifically. First of all, would a caddy be a good winter car?
Anyway, I hear alot of bad things about the northstar engine, specifically about the head gaskets. Did this ever get fixed? Since I hear such bad
things about the northstar, I was looking at other cadillacs. I heard that the fleetwood had the lt-1 corvette engine. Did any other cadillacs have this or somthing other than the northstar? The only problem with the fleetwood is that it looks kind of like an old lady car. I am looking to get somthing
from about 95-03 ish with about 130k miles or less. Don't want to spend more than 2500$. That may seem kind of cheep but i've seen plenty around that price. So is there a reletively sporty cadillac that didn't have the northstar or any head gasket problems that could be had for 2500$ or so in that year and price range?
thanks?

#2 ·
Many older (and new) Cadillacs don't really make good "winter cars" because of sheer operating and maintenance costs. Your stated year group of FWD Cadillac - either the Northstar 4.6 DOHC engine or the early 90's 4.9 pushrod engine are good snowplows when using good all-season tires.

If you are the least bit paranoid about a perceived head gasket problem, buy an older 4X4 F-150 for winter.

Regardless - you buy a 13 to 20 model year old car and you WILL have maintenance costs, and 110,000+ miles is right at the point that every piece of rotating/suspension/rubber machinery is going belly up.

Bottom line: You buy a cheap Cadillac and you will be right at home in here trying to learn how to keep it running.

Reactions: 77CDV
#4 ·
If the idea of headgasket replacement is a concern then an old high mileage (yes, as Sub, said 110,000 miles is the time things really start to nned replacement) Cadillac is definitely not for you. For $2500. all you are buying is the previous owners headaches. Thre is no such thing as a cheap Cadillac ... or any other luxury car.

If you want a cheap Winter beater and you can only afford $2500. stick with one of the far less complicated "transporation" brands of car or truck. Don't fool yourself into thinking that an originally $50,000 car that now sells with high mileage and is long in tooth will be a cheap car to own.

#7 ·
To answer the question about the engines, yes the 94-96 Fleetwoods had the 5.7L lt-1 engine. They also had traction control and ABS. As far as being sporty, that's the closest you'll get in that model year range... it's got loads of torque and eats up highway with ease. I can't speak for it's snow performance, but those model years were RWD, not FWD, so that's a consideration. Like everyone else, I'd be wary of things starting to break down at 100k+ miles.

#8 ·
How much more of maintenance and other costs would an old 100,000+ mileage cadillac have over a cheaper chevy cavalier or grand am? Either way I am going to get a
slightly older somewhat high mileage car, would a cadillac cost ALOT more to own than a grand am or somthing like that?

#12 ·
What is all the high maintenance costs coming from? My dad is pretty handy with cars so he could do most of the basic things. I realize some parts will be a little pricey,
but there are alot of places where you can get cheaper car parts. Telling me to avoid old cars is stupid, because I can't afford a 2014 car. I see how the northstar could be pricey from all the problems but If I got an Lt-1 cadillac or somthing would it really be that bad? Don't mean to contradict anyone just don't exactly see why it would
cost 1,000$ a month for maintenance. I've had a 1984 corvette for over a year and I can say I've spent less than 200$ on it in maintenance and parts and it's 30 years old.....

#15 ·
Telling me to avoid old cars is stupid, because I can't afford a 2014 car.
I get it, and what I think people are trying to say is that spending $2500 on a used Caddy may be much more expensive in the long run than spending $2500 on a used honda or 'yota. You could get a newer car for the same money that would be cheaper to repair. Economy cars are made in higher volume, so parts are easier to find, and they're cheaper to have repaired because of their simple design.

One or two significant repairs on a big luxury car could easily double your total cost. That being said, if you're willing to stick by it and fix whatever pops up, a Caddy will be much more rewarding to drive on a daily basis.

What I would do is get a feel for which model(s) you really like and research the common issues that they have; mitigate your risk. Bear in mind the different engine/transmission options, as they can make a big difference.

If what you're really looking for is a big ol' American sedan, maybe widen your search a bit. I've always thought that buying an interceptor Crown Vic would be fun. There's also the Roadmaster, Impala, etc...

#14 ·
None of the members here want to drive people away from owning a Cadillac. We love them and want to see them preserved and enjoyed.

However, we all own or have owned them. We would be doing you a dis-service to shine you on and tell you they are great cheap transportation. They are not. :tisk:

If you are the kind of person that is up for a challenge, can do your own repairs, have alternate transportation while working on it, have access to junkyards with available parts, and have the money and creativity to keep cars going, it is extremely rewarding to drive them. :cloud9:

The older rear wheel drive ones are a bit cheaper to keep going, less computer controlled components to give you trouble. The down side is they are older and getting harder to find in good condition, and there are less of them hitting junkyards every day so newer FWD parts might be more available.

Having found this forum is a big asset to you. We have a great and knowledgeable membership and often can help not only with advice, but also locating parts.

Good luck and we will all help and support you in whatever you decide to do, even if it seems we are ganging up on you now!:rant2:

#16 ·
I can't disagree with all that's been said so far. A Cadillac will cost more to maintain, but can be worth it.

One thing I will add - I've found, when considering a higher-mileage car, there is a greater chance that a Cadillac has been well maintained and pampered than a cheaper car. When someone pays that much for a new car, they just tend to take better care of it. They also more likely have the funds to maintain it properly.

#17 · (Edited)
^^^ I think that may apply to "one owner" Cadillac's, however, once these and other "luxury" cars pass on to their third and fourth owner all bets are off that the car has had the expensive maintenance and repair that it would require. Most new Cadillac buyers do not keep their Cadillac till it has 100,000 miles on the odometer, but rather trade (or return their lease car) before the factory warranty runs out. Chances are that the Cadillac that has over a 100,000 miles on the clock has passed through several owners at that point. You may be able to find a well cared for low mileage, one or two owner Cadillac from an estate or because its' owner can no longer drive, but this will take patience and luck. But you would probably want to keep one of these cars for your fair weather driver and not ruin it in Winter beater use.

The devil's advocacy going on here advising against a Cadillac (or any other luxury car) for cheap "beater" transportation is not to stear you clear of Cadillacs, but to give you the straight info on the cost of clapped out luxury cars. The fellow that said that the good appearance of an old, high mileage Cadillac being deceiving
was good advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.